Can I upload video to YouTube and remove or edit it later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pchengws

Oct 26, 2009
Red Dot Island
Dear CSers,

I have a question and hope that I can find out the correct answers here.

What happened is that the office has a web site and the company helping to maintain the website asked us to upload video clips to the youtube and it will be easier for them to cut and paste to the website. My question is that can we unload the video after the vendor has copied to the web page or upload a new version of the video and remove the older version? I am not sure can we remove the video once uploaded.

Is there a better way to upload the video to website? Would Dropbox or FTP a better way to do so?

No idea. But i dont even think the other party can get videos off youtube. Apparently it doesnt comply to singapore's law(some countries' youtube has built in store for offline button,but not singapore's version)

What happened is that the office has a web site and the company helping to maintain the website asked us to upload video clips to the youtube and it will be easier for them to cut and paste to the website.

Hello, am afraid this doesn't really make sense. They want you to upload clips to youtube so that they can 'cut and paste to the website'? I don't even know what this means.

Interpretation #1
They want to link/embed content that you have uploaded.

Interpretation #2
They want you to send them the video clips, so they asked you to upload to youtube so that they can download it.

I think it's more likely to be #1. #2 doesn't make sense. If they just want the files, asking you to upload to youtube so they can download it is abit troublesome. Simply to use dropbox or some similar file sharing service.

My question is that can we unload the video after the vendor has copied to the web page or upload a new version of the video and remove the older version? I am not sure can we remove the video once uploaded.

You can delete your uploaded videos easily. But if all the vendor has done, is to link/embed your video (as in scenario #1), then you deleting the video, will cause the link/embed on your company website to be broken. The videos on your website will go offline.

Is there a better way to upload the video to website? Would Dropbox or FTP a better way to do so?

You need to clarify the objective. If the objective is to get the video files to the web company (as in #2), you just pass the files to them on a thumbdrive/dvd, or via a web service like www.wetransfer.com. Then the web company will be the one responsible for figuring out how best to host the videos and link to them.

If the objective is that the web company wants your office to host the videos on a youtube channel that you create and maintain yourselves, and all they do is link to it or embed it (as in #1), then you need to upload your videos, give them the resulting links, but you cannot delete the videos if you want them to be online/watchable.

I am told they (vendor) can easily copy and paste upload to our website. I really do not know the difference between taking a file from dropbox (assuming the dropbox size is large enough)or ftp site compare to youtube.

Hi kandinsky, You are right my understanding is that vendor wants the file from us, and upload to youtube is easier for them. We normally transfer txt files and photos to them through dropbox. I do not understand why video must go through youtube is easier for the vendor. This is what vendor told me they can easily copy and paste from youtube to website. The file is less than 2GB that the dropbox size is large enough. Agree also wetransfer is another option.I suggested to go through FTP but vendor still prefer Youtube. I do not think they will link to it because i asked them can we delete the video after they taken the file from Youtube. Strange to me.

Last edited:
Hi kandinsky, You are right my understanding is that vendor wants the file from us, and upload to youtube is easier for them. We normally transfer txt files and photos to them through dropbox. I do not understand why video must go through youtube is easier for the vendor. This is what vendor told me they can easily copy and paste from youtube to website. The file is less than 2GB that the dropbox size is large enough. Agree also wetransfer is another option.I suggested to go through FTP but vendor still prefer Youtube. I do not think they will link to it because i asked them can we delete the video after they taken the file from Youtube. Strange to me.

I see. If that is indeed what they are insisting on, then my guess is that they may be taking advantange of the youtube process as a way of getting the video files compressed? They may be thinking your usual files are too large, and so instead of having to do any conversion/compression on their end before uploading to the company site. Just a guess, it's the only possible reason I can think of. Otherwise, I really don't get it.

Bottom line, if they say they do not need your uploads to remain online, then yes, you can delete your uploads without worry.

Last edited:
it's probably that they want your company to upload and host the video in youtube, so they can just use the embed codes to insert into your website =)

i'd suggest using vimeo for hosting instead actually

I believe the vendor wants to host the video at YouTube because of the existing infrastructure rather the than hosting a video streaming service on their end.

when you upload a video file to Youtube, Youtube definitely will not steaming a 3GB video, your file will be recoded to a smaller file for online streaming.

nobody will want to stream a 3GB video on their site either,

so the only explanation is the vendor is utilising Youtube to recode the video for them, so the video will be more web-friendly. and they found a way to download the Youtube video and host it in their server.

Thank you guys.

I would agree to all of you that vendor may have their own limitation and wanted us to get round for him without telling us. the issue here is that we need to do extra work to load and unload it. It would be the best to have all video material come from our official web site rather ended up on various media.

Appreciate the helps.

...the issue here is that we need to do extra work to load and unload it.

Yeah, that is an issue you gotta sort out with your website maintenance company. All the best. :)

Thank you guys.

I would agree to all of you that vendor may have their own limitation and wanted us to get round for him without telling us. the issue here is that we need to do extra work to load and unload it. It would be the best to have all video material come from our official web site rather ended up on various media.

Appreciate the helps.

FYI, what the company want to use as finish products is what you suppose to deliver, an other forms/format you want to give is secondary to them unless they also ask for it.
so you can't say it is an extra work for you.

just like you go to a Hainanese Chicken rice stall buy a packet of chicken rice, the stall owner tell you he only serve chicken rice in a plate, he don't want to do extra work, you have find a container and pack it yourself.
does not make sense right?

Last edited:
Hi catchlights,

I agree to what you say, but in this case i did ask them what format they needed, the reply is just give us the highest quality we have and they will compress for us or work on it to suit the layout we wanted. So a dropbox was arranged. Now they need in Youtube, I am not sure what resolution we can upload. The reason the vendor given us was really the search is more available whoever search for our information or data. We prefer to come out of one source the web page only. Therefore we need to remove what is on the yourtube as the contents and version will varies over times.

Is youtube the norm used by web page people? I would like to find out what is the norm and follow in that direction. i do not know Web site design or maintenance enough to say they are right or wrong.

Now they need in Youtube, I am not sure what resolution we can upload.

You can upload as high as you want up to 4K. YT has recommended bitrates, but they will still compress/process it for streaming.

Recommended upload encoding settings (Advanced)
https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=en

The reason the vendor given us was really the search is more available whoever search for our information or data.

What's there to search unless you
1) intend to leave the data online
2) intend to log a lot of metadata that is relevant to the vendor's usage of the video clips
3) talking about large amounts of files in the hundreds and thousands.

If you mentioned that you're going to delete the data once they 'download', there's no value to 'searching' for anything. It's a moot point. If you're just sending files, this again, doesn't make sense.

It really does sound like there's some fundamental misunderstanding between you and the vendor.

----

I'm not sure about web people, but for clients for whom I deliver edited videos, they tend to use youtube to host their videos. For the social media reach, ease of use (everyone knows what youtube is) and also save bandwidth on their own webhost. They usually have a youtube channel, and embed the videos on their own sites (it's a single source), share the link on facebook, etc. Whether the management of the youtube channel (uploading videos, moderating comments, etc) is done inhouse or outsourced to the web company, that's a separate matter.

Hi kandinsky,

I think you are right, we have YouTube and Facebook. However when IT staff left twice without good hand over to each others, we have no password to the Youtube any more and I am just stand in person for them. I will try to find out how to retrieve the password again.

I need to talk to the Web people again and coordinate with the users. One side said everything can be done before take on the job and now come back with more conditions, and users are changing layout and contents too freely may also cause the delay in completion. I have my own scope of work that cannot help them full time. 1/1/2016 is the target date, that is the issue and the contents loading staff is going on leave on 25 Dec. This is the typical office environment approve leave without a proper timeline prepared.

Thank you all of your help.

U got the answers to your questions.

But my comments about your vendor are:

1. They seem to be lazy. As a vendor, they shld be assisting you, not ask u to do some parts, and they do some parts. They should be the one to upload to YouTube and get the link from there. As a vendor, they need to ensure quality standards and consistency. My question is if you upload the video to YouTube, and something is not right with the upload, the vendor uses this to push the blame back to your company. "Not I do one, its your staff did the upload. We only copy the link.". You get my drift. Vendors are v smart to push work and blame around.

2. The vendor asked u for the highest resolution file. But they ask you to upload to YouTube for them. It's contradicting. YouTube won't give them the highest resolution

Thank you all, vendor agrees to come in tomorrow to "talk" again. Partly I agree vendor took a easy way out as the new staff assigned to work on contents has not much experience or vendor is trying to push her to work for them. Unfortunately they also not working on the format given to them just simply tell her cannot be done. The Chief Secretary is unhappy and wanted to "talk" to them.

I am closing the topic now and once again thank you for all the info and suggestions. I agrees it always takes two hands to clap. Inexperience vendor with fresh graduate staff and a part time helper is not the best combination for website implementation.:sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.