can i stack 2 close up lens together?

Status
Not open for further replies.

whitecheek

Nov 26, 2004
Guys, I am relatively new and I have a question to ask. Is it possible to stack 2 close up lens - for example 2 canon 500D together to increase magnafication for close up shot?

What are the pro/cons of such setup that i need to watch out for?

Thanks

Guys, I am relatively new and I have a question to ask. Is it possible to stack 2 close up lens - for example 2 canon 500D together to increase magnafication for close up shot?

Thanks
It is possible. But the image distortion will increase.

Remember, the more glass(es) you put on front of lens will degrade the image quality more.

Regards,
Arto.

Thanks

i think close up lense do not increase magnification

close up only bring the focus distance nearer...

tubes and teleconvertors will increase magnification:)

can always try:) no harm... can ask stevewhy out for test test also, he is pro in micro/macro...

can always try:) no harm... can ask stevewhy out for test test also, he is pro in micro/macro...
Hmmm...., if you say like that, tubes also will bring focus distance nearer ;) . Only TC will increase magnification.

Because of focus distance nearer, the magnification also increase (object will be looks bigger).

Regards,
Arto.

Canon 500D is infect a high quality magnifying glass, specially cater to lenses.

Canon 500D diopter value is +2

The formula for stacking closeup filter is sum the diopter values

Stack 500D + 500D will give diopter of +4.

Stacking 2 close up lens together will definitely work. But because of the magnifications and depending on the lens you use, your lens might be touching your subject at the end of the day! :p

i think it does increase magnification... closeup filter works the same way as magnifying glass..
not 100% cfm tho.

If the close-up lens does not increase magnification, why use it? The idea is to achieve close to 1:1 magnification or higher.

Even extension tubes increase magnification by allowing to focus closer to the subject.

All TC, ext tubes and diopters alter the lens characteristic to get higher magnification.

BC

guys, really thanks for the help. So to summerize, am i correct to say i can simple stack up closeup lens to achieve a closer shot of the subject...but probably with distortion?

guys, really thanks for the help. So to summerize, am i correct to say i can simple stack up closeup lens to achieve a closer shot of the subject...but probably with distortion?
yes... when a good quality filter, you can easily stack 2 filter without much degradation in quality.

There are actually a lot of things you can try to get higher magnification. Possible things to do include : extension tubes, teleconvertors, closeup filters, reversing a normal lens, etc. The beauty of it is that you are not limited to doing one thing; you can combine a few together, such as adding an extension tube with a teleconvertor, or a closeup filter with an extension tube, etc. Experiment and see what works for you.;)

I've stacked 2 Hoya +4 close-up filters on my 50mm and results are still acceptable, just only slightly soft.

Status
Not open for further replies.