Can I discuss about digital camers here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pinkmango

Hi all

I am kind of new to this forum. I see you guys are more into SLR cameras and many of you have very gd skills. I am actually planning to get a digital camera and at the same time wondering if I can get some tips on which camera to buy?

I am looking at either then Nikon 775 or 2100 . the 2100 is a newer model but both have roughly e same specs i.e 2 megapixels, 3 times optical zoom.

Thanks

Rdgs
Pm

The Coolpix (also known as CP) CP775 and the CP2100 have several differences btw them.

If you go to www.dpreview.com and you select "Buying Guide" and then "Side-by-Side"
Choose the Nikon 775 from the list, Hold down the Ctrl button of the keyboard and select the Coolpix 2100.and select "Show"

you will see the differences side by side.

A summary of the differences.

CP775
Sensor size = 5.27mm x 3.96mm (1/2.7")
Color filter array = C-Y-G-M (Cyan-Yellow-Green-Magenta)
ISO = Auto (100)
Self timer = 10sec
Max shutter = 1/1000
Digital Zoom = up to 2.5x

CP2100
Sensor size = 4.54mm x 3.42mm (1/3.2")
Color filter array = G-R-G-B (Green-Red-Green-Blue)
ISO = Auto (50-800)
Self timer = 3 or 10sec
Max shutter = 1/3000
Digital Zoom = up to 4.0x

The CP2100 has a better digital zoom, faster possible shutter speed and more choices of ISO to choose from.

Between the 2, I would choose the CP2100.

The Canon's A60 is also a very popluar camera and is priced quite similarly to CP2100.
You can check it out too.

Most importantly, you must like the feel of the camera, it's grip, it's size..etc.
If not then regardless of the specs, you will not feel like bringing the camera out for a shoot and a neglected camera will never be a good camera.

from wat i heard the CP2100 is a slightly newer model.

Can I ask has the Color filter got to do with the print out quality? (sorry i am quite new to this camera thingy)

Thanks for the links i will go read up :D

I am bascially getting this camera for work, taking photos of buildings and maybe posting them on the web,emailing to clients, creating panaromic quicktime files with the pics, so is a 2Mega pixel camera good enough?

Yes. You're right

Can I ask has the Color filter got to do with the print out quality?
Let's just say, it not going to affect it.

I am bascially getting this camera for work, taking photos of buildings and maybe posting them on the web,emailing to clients, creating panaromic quicktime files with the pics, so is a 2Mega pixel camera good enough?

Yes.

Originally posted by newuser
Yes. You're right

Can I ask has the Color filter got to do with the print out quality?
Let's just say, it not going to affect it.

Yes.

btw are there any reliable Nikon dealers I should go to? Or shld i just go to Best Electronic shop?

Also, I read that CP775 runs on Lithium-Ion Batteries whereas Cp2100 runs on AA NiMH batteries.

Which battery works better?

Originally posted by pinkmango
Also, I read that CP775 runs on Lithium-Ion Batteries whereas Cp2100 runs on AA NiMH batteries.

Which battery works better?

At a single charge, the Lithium-Ions are longerlasting than the 'AA' Ni-MH ones, but they are costly so getting a spare is more expensive than spare 'AA' Ni-MH batteries.

Also the charger can only charger 1 battery at one time, whereas the 'AA' Ni-MH charger can usually chrage 4 batteries at once and the CP2100 only use 2, so the other 2 can be the spare.

If you use a high-capacity AA Ni-MH batteries like, GP1800mA or even Sanyo 2100mA, I'm sure it will last you for quite long.

Lastly, when your CP775 runs flat, that's OH NO, when your CP2100 runs flat, just pop in 2 x AA "Energerizer" or Duracell, you are ready to continue.
(warning: those Alkaine don't last very long in digital cameras, but it's a good in an emergerency)

btw are there any reliable Nikon dealers I should go to? Or shld i just go to Best Electronic shop?

The popular ones are:

MS Color in Ang Mo Kio
Cathay Photo in Peninsular Plaza
Alan Photo in Sim Lim Square

you can go to their respective websites to request an online quote as you tend to get a better price from the e-quote than if you walk-in the shop. (especially if you are not a regular or don't go with someone who is)

www.mscolor.com.sg
www.cathayphoto.com.sg
www.alanphoto.com.sg

I heard the lower end Nikon Coolpix digital cameras have a nagging shutter lag. In fact, one of my friends sold off his Coolpix (cannot remember the model) after one week of use. He couldn't stand the long shutter lag.

Originally posted by mervlam
I heard the lower end Nikon Coolpix digital cameras have a nagging shutter lag. In fact, one of my friends sold off his Coolpix (cannot remember the model) after one week of use. He couldn't stand the long shutter lag.

Ha, My previous Casio QV-2900UX has a waiting time of 12 seconds in between shots!

Can take only 1 photo when the model on the stage reach the end of the runway, and by the time the camera is ready to fire the next shot, the model walk to backstage and gone liao.

budget cameras cannot expect much.

Since pinkmango's use is for buildings and such (they don't move) the lag should not be a problem.

to pinkmango,
The Canon's A60 is a good camera too, though the size is bigger than the CP2100 and it uses 4 AA batteries instead on 2 AA on the CP2100.

oh my.. :dent: can i noe does lagging mean the time gap i need to wait to take the next shot izzit?

hmm yeah buildings won't move that much ( i hope :bwhat: )

also how much is the Canon's A60 ?

Nono.... shutter lag is the time between depressing the shutter button to the camera recording the shot when the shutter opens.

Nono.... shutter lag is the time between depressing the shutter button to the camera recording the shot when the shutter opens.

oh i see.... i am kinda new to this..

so wat if the shutter speed is slow? will it act as a disadvantage? :gbounce:

the real problem comes when, by the time the camera captures the subject, the subject is long gone.

the real problem comes when, by the time the camera captures the subject, the subject is long gone.

ohhhhhhhhhh now i get it :p so it if you are taking moving objects its a real disadvantage rite??

oh my.. :dent: can i noe does lagging mean the time gap i need to wait to take the next shot izzit?

hmm yeah buildings won't move that much ( i hope :bwhat: )

also how much is the Canon's A60 ?

A60's retail is supposed to be $499, but as you know, most camera shops like CP, AP, MS Color...etc will have it for lower.

It's price is pretty much on par with the CP2100.

You should ask for a demo of both the cameras before buying, get the salesman to load in batteries and a Compact Flash and take a few shots to see which one you like better.

You might want to know:

Canon's A60's movie mode, can record movie clips @ 15fps for up to 3 minutes, at 320 x 240 resolution (which is your TV's resolution)

Nikon's Coolpix 2100's movie mode, can only record for up to 15seconds, at 320 x 240 resolution.

Canon's A60, has Shutter Priority and Aperature Priority mode for manual control and has 3 metering modes (Evalutive, Center Weighted and Spot)

Nikon Coolpix 2100 has only 256 segment matrix metering.

Meaning the A60 allows you to have some control of your pictures if you need it.

ohhhhhhhhhh now i get it :p so it if you are taking moving objects its a real disadvantage rite??

Yes, so if you are taking a picture of an man running to the finishing line, you have to press the shutter when he is abt 1-2m from the finishing line, as you have to compensate for the time you press and the time the camera take the shot.

If you press the shutter, the split second he touch the line, the picture will likely register the man across the finishing line already.

It's normal for budget cameras, my 2MP camera also like that.
After a few weeks of use, you will get the hang of it.

hey Pinkmango,

Are you already settled on buying the Nikon? If you have a budget constraint for a 2MP, suggest you get the A60 instead, intead of the other 2 models you mentioned.

Truth: all DCs (especially the mass consumer type) suffer from varying degrees of "Shutter Release Lag" which is basically the time lapsed between you pressing the shutter button, and the time the camera actually takes the picture.

This is a serious problem if you find yourself taking e.g. children's photos, people, etc, where they cannot sit still long enough after you say "CHEEEESE!"

Some advantages of the A60: uses inexpensive rechargeable AA batteries. for the price of 1 proprietary lithium-ion battery for the Nikon 775, you could get 4 sets of the AA, enough for a day of shoot, with plenty to spare. And should (highly unlikely) run out of juice, you could get the Energizer or Eveready...

Full manual functions, so you can grow into the camera if you are a total newbie. Easy to use, and learn, you will have tons of fun with this cam. And for slightly over $400, it is very affordable.

ok so i will either consider the Cannon A60 or Nikon 2100. i haven't really check out the A60, but I will do so soon.

Thanks for all the advice:dent:

Status
Not open for further replies.