Can I ask...

Status
Not open for further replies.

piyoz

Jul 9, 2007
For those who have a chance to chose between K100D and K10D, why did you chose to buy a K100d instead? Is it becos of the budget or is it because it offer scene mode?? Is 6MP really enough? I'm really interested to know

I don't need more than 6 MGP, not going to make very large prints.
Cheaper.
Found it less heavy, I'm lazy yar, you have girls using K10D so I guess it's not so much of an issue.

When I got the K100D, the K10D wasn't announced ;)

Having said that, I haven't upgraded because I prefer usable ISO 1600 to the upgrades provided by the K10D.

(don't -need- weathersealing, single dial is generally acceptable, viewfinder difference was noticeable but not earthshattering. I would like faster focus, and that plus supersonic focussing with a 16-50 might make me upgrade, especially since i've found another use for the k100D)

Well....some key features that led me to continue to keep my K100D for now...

1. Ability to take AA batteries a plus!
2. Its lighter and more compact.
3. Its much cheaper

:)

Cheaper.
Lighter and smaller (concerns for traveling)
Uses AA batteries
6MP is enough for most purposes, unless a lot of cropping is required. If I had bought the K10D, I might not want to take at 10MP anyway so as to save memory card space

Reasons for my purchase(then)
1) AA Batteries easily replaceable and available even for rechargeables. Li-ions deteriorate over time and are more expensive.
2) It's abt 400-500 cheaper than a k10d
3) It already has shake reduction(SR) in body so no need to upgrade to k10d. can also support SDHC already.

k10d features....hmm...no need battery grip, no need SDM motored lens.....

My reason are:

Cheaper
Lighter
Can take AA Batteries

I'm bought a K100D cos I didn't know that the K10D would be released for only 200 more within 2 months or so. DAMN. :cry:

Nevertheless it was an upgrade from my *istDL (its been a while since I've typed out this uncomforable list of alphabets!). Faster focusing, shake reduction and somehow feels better in my hands. Still serving me well.

Given a choice I would have bought the K10D. Even faster focusing, better shake reduction and enough buttons available for on the fly adjustments rather than going thro soft menus. Don't need the seals, 10meg and other features... yet.

I'm bought a K100D cos I didn't know that the K10D would be released for only 200 more within 2 months or so. DAMN. :cry:

uh. how much didja pay for the K100D, and how much do you think a K10D costs? The difference is around $350-450.

Price?
K10D isn't too much expensive than K100D, and I think it's a great bargain for its price (especially when it was initially released in SG last Dec).
Size and Weight?
When mounted with a big lens, the weight difference can be almost ignored imo, actually the bigger size of the K10D can keep the balance better when a big lens is mounted. But if you prefer using the kit lens, or those cute DA LE lenses, the K100D definitely feels smaller and lighter.
Battery?
Well, after using D, Ds, K100D and K10D, I'd chose the dedicated non-AA Lion battery anytime. It's just so much reliable than the rechargeble AAs, and it lasts longer too.
6mp vs 10mp?
I do prefer cleaner high ISO photos by the K100D, but most time I use low ISO, so I guess I can live with that. Besides, Neatimage can clean up the noise quite easily when needed.
Here is the definitely winning part about the K10D:
weather sealed, faster AF, much effective SR, better built, easier to use, alot more features (and some of them are very useful), SDM support, and better yet, it got a Grand Prix version :D

Go and get the K10D if money isn't an issue, that's my suggestion. Or better yet, get the Grand Prix Limited Edition:

Pentax_K10D_FA31_Small.jpg

Cheers!

Here you go

I have both the K100D and the K10D, although I gave away my K10D to my nephew.
Well why didn't I give away the K100D and keep the K10D some might ask?

The K100D is a very simple camera to learn and pickup. Even my Primary 2 kid can use it, and not because of the scene modes, though he likes the Pet Mode. :bsmilie:

The scene modes is a time saver if you don't want to be bogged down with figuring out what aperture or shutter speed setting to use. This makes it ideal if you're going to pass it to people who know little or have zero knowledge about what aperture priority, shutter priority or program modes mean. In this regard, the K100D is far easier to use than the K10D hands down.

The K10D is really targeted towards the serious hobbyist/pro level because of the range of features and extensive control available. Reality check, how many K10D users actually venture beyond their usual settings of adjusting ISO & WB? Not too much I suspect. While some are drawn to the K10D for its pro features such as rubber sealing, practically speaking it is really overkill for the majority of photographers. Nice to have but not essential to creating great images. Plus most people baby their equipment anyway.

While the K10D is overall a better camera features wise, the K100D can hold its own in terms of image quality. The 10 vs 6 megapixel difference isn't too big a deal unless you are submitting to stock libraries and blow up large prints. File sizes are smaller too, especially if you're shooting RAW. For long exposures in night scenes, I believe the K100D has the edge noise wise and it is also better for IR shooting. If you're shooting flash a lot, esp. wireless or off-camera, the K10D is better. Only thing I wish for the K100D is ISO 100 and the one touch RAW button like the K10D. A second control dial would also be nice.

I carry my camera pretty much most of the time. I use the K100D more than my K10D because of the smaller size and weight. If you shoot street candids where you don't want people to be distracted by a big camera, the smaller K100D isn't so obvious. The K10D has better Shake Reduction but this may not be a big advantage because it is also heavier. The AA battery issue has also been mentioned. AAs are very convenient but the K10D's battery life is better.

Actually the K100D Super has addressed some of the areas the K100D lacks, namely the ability to take advantage of the new Supersonic lenses but I think most current K100D owners are quite happy with their existing camera and might not upgrade. Good for the new buyer though.

uh. how much didja pay for the K100D, and how much do you think a K10D costs? The difference is around $350-450.

IIRC, I paid 1.2k for the K100D and the K10D was 1.4k.

IIRC, I paid 1.2k for the K100D and the K10D was 1.4k.

So much for the K100D? I paid less than $800 for my new K100D body. At the time (before OP), local shops were selling it for about $1050 for the kit..

Hi all, im also planning to get but couldn't decide which ?? K100D or K10D.

Would appreciate current K100D/K10D users and answer my queries ??

Currently im not a Pentax user yet. But going to be 1 very soon.

I have done abit of research myself and beside the lack of SDM support ??
Understand K100D is still able to mount use the SDM lens with no SDM functions.
Is the SDM speed and SR a major improvement from K100D to K10D??

Other than this, i have read through both manuals, the K100D manual states that the auto ISO is off when EV compensation is apply. Does that mean if i compensate the exposure, the auto ISO function is off for K100D ??

Lastly for the auto ISO functions, how does the camera determines when to increase the ISO ?? Base on the shutter speed ?? example using a 50mm lens, is shutter is lower than 1/50 than auto ISO kicks in ??

Thanks

Hi all, im also planning to get but couldn't decide which ?? K100D or K10D.

Would appreciate current K100D/K10D users and answer my queries ??

Currently im not a Pentax user yet. But going to be 1 very soon.

I have done abit of research myself and beside the lack of SDM support ??
Understand K100D is still able to mount use the SDM lens with no SDM functions.
Is the SDM speed and SR a major improvement from K100D to K10D??

Other than this, i have read through both manuals, the K100D manual states that the auto ISO is off when EV compensation is apply. Does that mean if i compensate the exposure, the auto ISO function is off for K100D ??

Lastly for the auto ISO functions, how does the camera determines when to increase the ISO ?? Base on the shutter speed ?? example using a 50mm lens, is shutter is lower than 1/50 than auto ISO kicks in ??

Thanks

Yes, the K100D can use a lens w/ SDM built-in but only use it as a normal lens (everything is still the same as any other DA lens). I haven't seen or heard any report on the AF speed improvement of SDM lenses, but K10D has faster AF than K100D even with a non-SDM lens. And yes, K10D has more effective SR as well.

As to the auto ISO feature, yes, it'd be set to off automatically when you set some EV compensation - which is another plus for K10D :)

As to auto ISO, the camera will determine its value base on the available shuttle speed and the current focal length to achieve a sharp result. As to when it's gonna change the ISO, only Pentax knows ;) By my experiences, it works pretty well so far, although I still prefer setting the ISO myself (very easy to do on a K10D, just press the 'OK' button, and turn the front dial ;), another big plus for K10D :bsmilie:).

Oh btw, I only had a K100D for two weeks, but three K10Ds in 8.5 months ;)

Thanks fengwei, ur input pretty much gave mi a better idea which camera to get. Lastly, to confirm that K100D is more suitable for IR photography than K10D. Is this true ??

Thanks

You are welcome :)

And for IR photography, it doesn't really matter which camera you use. Both cameras can do IRs equally well (with the use of an IR filter and some post processing):)

So would it be better to wait for K100D super if i'm intending to get one??

So would it be better to wait for K100D super if i'm intending to get one??

The K100D Super has some more features (dust remove, SDM support and etc) than the K100D , but not much different other than this. Of course if you wanna take the advantage of SDM lenses and the smaller size of K100D, it's a good choice :)

wow, mr fengwei, you owned 3 k10d!!! that's a little bit too many lei:bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.