Can hyperfocusing technique work with focus-lock?

akhran

Aug 2, 2007
How do I take a photo with much-everything in focus using hyperfocusing technique, with Wide/Spot AF and Multi-Segment metering? Based on the hyperfocal distance calculator, I get a hyperfocal distance of 5m (hypothetical). Using the focus-lock method, I focus lock on an object at 5m, and then recompose the frame. However, exposure is also locked when I do a focus lock at 5m. The recomposed frame usually does not have the ideal exposure that I want, since it is based on the exposure locked at 5m, which could be too bright or too dark with my intended composition.

Is there a workaround or a better way to achieve this?

Thanks !

Using Sony A55 with SAL18250.

auto focus to 5m then switch to manual focus, recompose from there on.

just to share, i dont rely both AF lock and AE lock on the half press shutter. instead i program the setting to AF lock with the AF lock button behind my 5Dmk2 and activate with my thumb. after i lock my focus then i proceed to frame my picture and lock the exposure with half press then if everything is ok then complete with the shutter. at times i will want to exposure more or less so i can meter off a brighter or darker section then move back to the frame. i find this much faster than setting EC if i dun have the time.

by doing my way, you can set to hyperfocal distance and concentrate on AE only since AF is independent by itself.

Search through my manual and trying out with the Sony A55 and it seems that exposure (in addition to focus) is locked with half pressed shutter button when multi-segment metering is selected. Any tip on how to focus lock, without exposure lock, with the shutter button half pressed in multi-segment metering?

Thanks!

just to share, i dont rely both AF lock and AE lock on the half press shutter. instead i program the setting to AF lock with the AF lock button behind my 5Dmk2 and activate with my thumb. after i lock my focus then i proceed to frame my picture and lock the exposure with half press then if everything is ok then complete with the shutter. at times i will want to exposure more or less so i can meter off a brighter or darker section then move back to the frame. i find this much faster than setting EC if i dun have the time.

by doing my way, you can set to hyperfocal distance and concentrate on AE only since AF is independent by itself.

I'm not sure abt sony cam. But i suggest to map AE lock and AF lock independently so easier to frame ur photo otherwise your subject focus and exposure will be stuck at only one point.

Search through my manual and trying out with the Sony A55 and it seems that exposure (in addition to focus) is locked with half pressed shutter button when multi-segment metering is selected. Any tip on how to focus lock, without exposure lock, with the shutter button half pressed in multi-segment metering?
There is this AEL button somewhere around your right thumb. I just checked in dpreview.com, cannot tell you more. But usually with this button one locks the exposure. On Canon cameras it stays for 6 seconds before it loses the settings. Set the exposure in Manual (same settings as with AEL), then focus. Before pressing the shutter always have a last look at your meter, if it's not at '0' (e.g. due to changed light conditions) then adjust shutter speed accordingly.

If you are using hyperfocal distance, you can just switch to manual focus.

Thanks!

im not sure if i get what u meant.. sorry if i dont..

for my A55.. i set my option to AEL toggle (menu)..
i lock my exposure when pressed the AEL button.. it stay locked until u press and release again..
then i recompose.. even half pressed shutter button will not change the locked exposure..