can hood stand weight of camera + lens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhipLash

May 15, 2006
I usually keep my camera lens-down in the bag, ie. the weight of the camera + lens is resting on the lens cap. This is fine since I'm using a 450D (~600g) and 18-55 (~200g). But I am thinking of getting a 17-55mm f2.8 which weighs 600g and leaving the petal hood on all the time. Do you guys think it can bear the weight?

Thanks in advance!

I'm sure the hood can bear the weight ... but it's gonna be bulky. Not sure whether it will fit into your bag / compartment. The hoods have this nice way of putting them on in reverse - it safes space and you can't forget it at home. Why leaving on in such a bulky way instead?

i leave my camera with lens + hood on facing down in the bag but i make sure that the hood doesn't touch the base because i don't think i wanna break my plastic hood. :sweat:
i rest the weight of my setup on the sides of camera body.
ummm, quite difficult for me to explain but this illustration gives you a better idea on what i mean. :D

minitrekkeraw.jpg

*image taken from http://www.cambags.com

Yep, the picture shows that the lens hoods are on the lenses but put on reverse. Hope that helps TS, maybe (s)he just didn't know that this is possible.

I usually keep my camera lens-down in the bag, ie. the weight of the camera + lens is resting on the lens cap. This is fine since I'm using a 450D (~600g) and 18-55 (~200g). But I am thinking of getting a 17-55mm f2.8 which weighs 600g and leaving the petal hood on all the time. Do you guys think it can bear the weight?

Thanks in advance!

While in normal situations, it may be ok. But if there is a sudden impact, the hood's contact point with the lens may break.

Thanks for the replies. I know the hood can be inverted, but when shooting I usually leave it on the correct way, with the camera face down in my bag, with no lens cap. That way I can change lenses and shoot quickly without having to remove the cap and still giving my lens some protection (I also use a UV filter).

I am using a Crumpler 5-million dollar home, so IamJeFfy's suggestion may not be so applicable. Sorry man.

I had a similar setup before - 40D and 17-55 f/2.8 with the lens facing down in my bag. I noticed that the petal hood is able to support the weight but like other said it might not survive any strong impact without breaking the plastic hood.

It is the decision between convenient and durability you have to make. with the hood in the correct position, you don't need to put lens cap on with the hood so it is a lot convenient to just pull out and shoot.

Thanks for the replies. I know the hood can be inverted, but when shooting I usually leave it on the correct way, with the camera face down in my bag, with no lens cap. That way I can change lenses and shoot quickly without having to remove the cap and still giving my lens some protection (I also use a UV filter).

I am using a Crumpler 5-million dollar home, so IamJeFfy's suggestion may not be so applicable. Sorry man.

If you're using a 5-million dollar home, you will be even more hard-pressed to fit the lens with the camera body and hood on.

My 24-70 lens hood can take the weight of the lens, A900 and VG on the hood no prob. Then again, it's a metal hood. ;)

If you're using a 5-million dollar home, you will be even more hard-pressed to fit the lens with the camera body and hood on.

Ya that is one of my other worries. WOndering if the lens + hood would be too long for the bag. I think I will invert the hood and put on cap when storing, but when changing lenses I'll juz put the lens on the hood. Height and weight of lens only should be ok, right?

Thanks all for your advice.

you can always have the hoods mounted on lenses ready in the bag when shooting and revert to reverse mounting when transporting.

Hmm, I'm not sure if its convenience or ease of storage you want. If you really want to shoot quickly. Why keep it in the bag in the first place? Sling it around your neck/shoulder.

Hmm, I'm not sure if its convenience or ease of storage you want. If you really want to shoot quickly. Why keep it in the bag in the first place? Sling it around your neck/shoulder.

Well, when I adjust my tripod I might put my camera into the bag to keep it from hitting anything. And when changing lenses I would like to keep the hood on and leave the lens in the bag.

Well, when I adjust my tripod I might put my camera into the bag to keep it from hitting anything. And when changing lenses I would like to keep the hood on and leave the lens in the bag.

Then its not really for strorage during moving? Should not really be a problem of the hood not taking the weight of the camera and lens.

And when leaving the unused lens (detached?) in the bag, maybe there's not point keeping the hood on, might as well reverse it?

If all possibilities run out.... get a bigger bag?

you're just making your life difficult and complicated.

hang on your neck and shoot more. worry about those things in the comfort of your room to try and see what fits in your bag.

dont worry, they're tougher than you think they are.

i sit on my hood all the time when i'm waiting for my gf to come back to the car...
((=

Took me a while to get it...:think::bsmilie:

if just the hood left on the lens in the bag shouldn't be a problem. many shooters do this as well.

if just the hood left on the lens in the bag shouldn't be a problem. many shooters do this as well.

I hope I'm not mistaken about his query, but it seems to me he doesn't want to reverse the hood when placed in the bad, which i think is quite unusual?

Status
Not open for further replies.