Can florescent light fog photo paper after it turn off

helmet0004

Jul 2, 2008
Johor Bahru
Hi Member

I am new to darkroom processing, Just wondering if florescent light can fog photo paper even it turn off. I am planing to set up a makeshift darkroom in my spare bathroom.Thanks in advance for any info.

Hi Member

I am new to darkroom processing, Just wondering if florescent light can fog photo paper even it turn off. I am planing to set up a makeshift darkroom in my spare bathroom.Thanks in advance for any info.

as long as you are using red darkroom lights, you will be fine. apart from red lights, any other visible light will fog the paper. turning off the florescent lights will not fog your paper.

Hi,

I can't be sure if it will, it depends on how far away is the lamp itself and for how long u are exposing it to.
I supposed you are using energy saving bulbs where the glow takes a few secs to fade away.

we've had experience with tubes but they are at least 2 meters away so it doesn't seems to affect the paper but don't quote me.
do a test yourself, leave a piece of paper on the table in that condition for 5 mins at, place a cover to mask off a section of the paper, then develop it.
the same method is used to test darkroom safe light.

florescent light will take some time to be darken totally, so you switch off house light first and use the safe light to wait for awhile before you start your work.

you also need to check is your darkroom light tight.
close up the darkroom door, turn off your safe light, turn off the house light, sit in the dark for 10 minutes, to see if you able to notice any light coming in from somewhere. than seal it up.

you also need to test your safe light is it safe, put a coin on test strip, leave it under safe light for a couple minutes, then develop the test strip to see any circle mark on it.

you also need to test your safe light is it safe, put a coin on test strip, leave it under safe light for a couple minutes, then develop the test strip to see any circle mark on it.

Thank you Catchlights, Nightwolf75 and Tucker for taking time to explain. Appreciate it.:thumbsup: