Can digital SLR camera retain light ratio

Status
Not open for further replies.

vega85

Jan 5, 2006
North
Can someone out there offer advise. I want to buy a didital SLR to replace my old Nikon FE2.
Years ago, I took portrait shots with light ratio setting using studio lighting and I used slides to cature a person face shadow & bright side (you get what you see). Can a digital SLR be set to do that; ie: capture exactly what it see and do not try to compensate and contrast using those new technology stuff. I want the shadow, just like the old slides.:)

since you have indicated its a digital slr that you are intending to get & most (if not all) professional work are done on digital slr cameras, i dont see how it doesnt meet your shooting requirements.

plain & simple; go on manual setting. however, i believe that you'll still need some photoshop work to get your desired results.

if you want the dynamic range and details, I believe the S3pro would be your best bet. But some photoshop is still required to bring out the best in the pictures.

Thanks for all the tips:)

vega85 said:
Thanks for all the tips:)
ISO, shutter speed and aperture still behaves like they do in the film days. Although different makes have slightly different sensor characteristics, these differences are more like using different film. Nikon DSLRs allows the use of tone curve (with additional software like Nikon Capture or ToneUp) to modify the characteristics of the image.

Since you were using FE2, I believe you would still have some of the old manual AI-S lenses, then I would recommend the D200 or D2X since these 2 bodies have the AI-S coupling so there is no problem in using your old lenses. Also, I think the default (Normal) tone characteristics of these 2 bodies are already good enough that I don't need to load a custom tone curve like what the D70s needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.