Can compact digital be better (than DSLR) ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anglim

Aug 20, 2006
Read a recent in-depth comparison of 8MP Konica-Minolta Dimage A2 with 5MP Panasonic DMC-TZ1 dated 3 Jun 06 at

http://vermeulen.ca/minolta-panasonic.html

Perhaps, some compact digitals can actually be better than the bigger and more expensive DSLRs if not of their extra features. Any comments?

Hmm.. Dont know how to answer this question..

But whether the pics is nice anot depends on the user most of the time, rather than the equipment..

Artistically, yes, it's definitely possible. Technically, no, or at least most of the time.

Most DSLRs will be able to give better resolution and render details better. And in most circumstances DSLRs will outperform compacts in terms of degree of noise at high ISO levels. Along with that, you also get improved responsiveness with a DSLR.

The downside is of course the size and the cost. Because these systems are so large they may attract unwanted attention as well.

In the end, the user's skill level is the greatest contributing factor to the quality of images produced. Certainly there are some things that a digital compact cannot do, or cannot do as well as a DSLR would. This is why some still don't mind forking out extra cash for an SLR system. But if you give a skilled user a compact and a newbie a DSLR system coupled to a lens yielding the same focal length range, the photos out of a skilled user will be more intriguing and attractive, artistically, and perhaps in some cases, technically.

If you get a chance to do more with less, or work with minimal equipment, give it a shot and it may be an eye-opener to you. I am about to do that myself...embark on a holiday with just a compact film camera, one kind of film and a fixed focal length lens. Even if the results turn out disastrous, at least I know I have tried. :)

like what fword said, artistically its very possible but technically i would say impossible.
compact cam might someday become better than dSLR now, but will not be able to catch up to those dSLR that are of the same generation as the compact cam itself.

Maybe for size and convenience, compacts will always beat the DSLR.

Image quality wise, unless they have developed a small sensor that is really good. My F30 gives really good images too.

anglim said:
Re: Can compact digital be better (than DSLR)?

Of course!

i can think of many situations off hand where a compact is the much better choice.

Small prints, web prints, low ISO - it is virtually impossible to find any advantage on the dSLR side; the only advantage an SLR might have is better DOF control, ie the SLR can give thinner DOF.

Macro situations - a compact has a much deeper DOF, due to its short focal length and small sensor. If you're not blowing up the picture to a large print, the compact wins hands down. And it doesn't hurt that some compacts have swivel LCDs, making those near and low shots a lot easier.

Size and weight - a camera, no matter how expensive, is no good if it's too big or heavy to bring along. Travelling light, mountain climbing, trekking, cycling - try bringing that dSLR along.

Less threatening - You may get better street shots with a tiny-looking camera; whipping out your 1DsmkII is likely to scare those cute little kids away. Some tourist places/events actually ban 'serious cameras' like SLRs but allow compacts.

Depends who is using the camera?
If a professional photographer using a compact digital and a newbie using a dslr?
I think you should know the answer better than me.:)

If "better" in terms of functions and image quality. Absolutely no way, man. Far from it. Not now and ever perhaps.

Better in terms of portability, lightweight, then of cos, yes. :p

Come think of it, using a P&S don't need high f stops for landscape, since the DOF is rarely shallow. With dslr, when you raise the f stop, gotta reduce shutter speed or bump up iso. That's 1 good point i can think of. :sweatsm:

Daniz said:
Come think of it, using a P&S don't need high f stops for landscape, since the DOF is rarely shallow. With dslr, when you raise the f stop, gotta reduce shutter speed or bump up iso. That's 1 good point i can think of. :sweatsm:
In low light areas without tripod, you can open wide a glass at f/2.8 and use hyperfocusing to achieve shallow DOF across the frame for landscape shots.

Most of you are speaking from a photographer's point of view.

From an audience's point of view, if they can't spot the difference, probably, there's really no difference in a compact P&S or DSLR

How can compact digital be better? Photoshop lo. Even better than DSLR. You can adjust contrast, sharpen, and reduce ISO. Composition not nice can crop till nice. So who is the winner?

anglim said:
Read a recent in-depth comparison of 8MP Konica-Minolta Dimage A2 with 5MP Panasonic DMC-TZ1 dated 3 Jun 06 at

http://vermeulen.ca/minolta-panasonic.html

Perhaps, some compact digitals can actually be better than the bigger and more expensive DSLRs if not of their extra features. Any comments?

You can read this http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/8mp-alternatives.shtml

Well, this is another comparison that confirms we have arrived at the point in time when a good compact digital is able to produce picture comparable to many DSLR. Quite contrary to many who think good pictures are only from DSLR.

Having said, that users of conpact digitals should be mindful of their limitation before trusting their camera in more serious shots.

CompactRod said:

how about we do an expriment

1. Pick a subject
2. 1 week later post a picture

and see if you can tell the DSLR and the P&S apart

ortega said:
how about we do an expriment

1. Pick a subject
2. 1 week later post a picture

and see if you can tell the DSLR and the P&S apart

By the way, how do u define a P & S camera?

Some P & S are in the prosumer range.

Can compact digital be better (than DSLR) ?

No need to say, of course can one.

Depends on what situation, condition, see?:)

Status
Not open for further replies.