Can colour calibrate a iMac G5 monitor ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

laker

Sep 15, 2005
Planning to get one secondhand, I wonder if anyone is able to colour correct or calibrate a iMac G5 monitor using the Spyder or similar devices.

Any input will help, thanks.

funny i wld have tot that Macs being standardized you dun really need to calibrate per se.. jus use color profiles provided for ur printer would work.. (but seriously I have no idea... but I thought that's the whole lovely thing abt macs the standardization)

things deteriorate/change with time...even Macs...:)

wiz23 said:
In short, yes :)

In long ??? :)

I heard from people, even after monitor calibration, that the printout came out much darker than what is shown on the screen.

Anything to do with gamma setting? Please advise.

Printouts work on reflected light, whereas monitors give off light...printouts will for the foreseeable future still be darker than monitors...we just have to take that into account...:)

but with proper profiling, the colour will be close between printouts and what we see on the monitor

theRBK said:
Printouts work on reflected light, whereas monitors give off light...printouts will for the foreseeable future still be darker than monitors...we just have to take that into account...:)

but with proper profiling, the colour will be close between printouts and what we see on the monitor

maybe I should make myself clearer, according to some users, the colour was off due to WAY MUCH difference in brightness.

Macs usually profiled to gamma of 1.8...if it is profiled to PC standard gamma of 2.2, and printer gamma is left at Mac standard 1.8, print could come out much darker...

I'm a mac user.. in fact. in OS X. there is a way of calibrating your monitor.. but the profile choosing that is more tedious.. Just go to System preference/display/--select sRGB IEC61966-2.1 then calibrate.. choose xpert mode by adjusting the gamma and follow the on screen instruction... the tips is to get a neutral 'apple' (with a correct grey balance).

This can be done... without a device.. however the accuracy is depend on the experiences and the eyes of the user..

I will recommend monaco optix for the calibration.. that using a device..

Hope this help:)

erizai said:
I'm a mac user.. in fact. in OS X. there is a way of calibrating your monitor.. but the profile choosing that is more tedious.. Just go to System preference/display/--select sRGB IEC61966-2.1 then calibrate.. choose xpert mode by adjusting the gamma and follow the on screen instruction... the tips is to get a neutral 'apple' (with a correct grey balance).

This can be done... without a device.. however the accuracy is depend on the experiences and the eyes of the user..

I will recommend monaco optix for the calibration.. that using a device..

Hope this help:)

thanks. I just bought the iMac and tried your method...

I realised after calibration, the profile is quite near to the default gamma 2.2 in terms of brightness. :dunno:

May I ask why select sRGB IEC61966-2.1 out of the many choices?

Why not choose Adobe RGB (1998) ?

It's because generally web engine and most of the icc programme use sRGB IEC61966-2.1 for the display, and the colour space is able to reproduce..

Adobe RGB (1998) had greater gamut but however is out of the Generic Monitor's capability. (CRT/LCD-as well as web engine).

FYI the gamma should be 1.8. unless you want it brighter.

May be you want to recalibrate.. the key is to get a neutral grey apple and blend well with the Background... also b4 doing this the bightness and contrast must set it to highest..
hope this will help

laker said:
thanks. I just bought the iMac and tried your method...

I realised after calibration, the profile is quite near to the default gamma 2.2 in terms of brightness. :dunno:

May I ask why select sRGB IEC61966-2.1 out of the many choices?

Why not choose Adobe RGB (1998) ?

or you can try this first >>>> SuperCal

disclaimer
am not a Mac user

I am using an iMac. Had lotsa problems trying to get matching colors in print and screen. Bought Eyeone Version 2. Problems solved. Excellent. I do 100% of prints on my iMac now.

Status
Not open for further replies.