Can citizen reporters get paid for submitting to The Straits Times?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadou

Oct 10, 2004
The World is my home
In some countries around the world, if an ordinary citizen is lugging his/her camera around and they come across a crime scene or they are the first to witness an accident or what have you, they can snap the shots and send them to the local newspapers to get published. And in turn, they get paid for it.

Question would be, since The Straits Times is government owned/run, do they do that here or do they only hire/send out their own batch of photographers? I wouldn't mind bringing some newsworthy photos to their attention if I knew I could get some money for it. Any idea on this subject? Thanks.

dont know thought... but singapore style always follow the singapore mentality.....

Shadou said:
In some countries around the world, if an ordinary citizen is lugging his/her camera around and they come across a crime scene or they are the first to witness an accident or what have you, they can snap the shots and send them to the local newspapers to get published. And in turn, they get paid for it.

Question would be, since The Straits Times is government owned/run, do they do that here or do they only hire/send out their own batch of photographers? I wouldn't mind bringing some newsworthy photos to their attention if I knew I could get some money for it. Any idea on this subject? Thanks.

Firstly..being goverment owned or controlled ...how ever you see it. And being it is the only newspaper around with no real competition....what do you think they are towards paying for your pictures? If you don't sell to them...who else will buy them? Also Singapore being so small...how easy it would be for them to get someone down to shoot or some other ones who might be unlike you ...who will GIVE them the photo and get "credited in the byline for taking the shot" Between those situation...what do you think your chances of being paid? Beside...what great important news was it that you can shoot that is so exclusive and unique that they will be force to pay you for it. Even if it was an accident you saw where a human head got loped off...it will be still too gruesome to feature in the papers that they will not buy it from you. I ever been such a situation before long ago...they will try to convine you to "donate" your shots and they will put your name in the papers along with the article. If that is what gets you off..then I guess that is fine just to see your name in the papers but cash???? heheheh... TKK. ( Tang Koo Koo ) heh.

I think chances might be higher for you to try to sell it oversea..like if Jenifer Aniston came to Singapore to holiday and has a new lover and you are the only one with the photo. I think you get alot more money selling it to some American tabloid oversea.

I used to know someone who is AP (Associate Photographer) with ST. Not under employment but does given assignment.:)

DT_ said:
dont know thought... but singapore style always follow the singapore mentality.....

and which mentality is that...

I can't where i read that.. but apparently its in some FAQ on the ST website. I think they mention they dont' accept reader submission cos they have in house ppl.
BUT I guess if you are the only witness and they interview you for the article. maybe you got a chance to sell to them. who knows? haha was hoping to see answers here...

Don't send to them (or send a very small low-res thumbnail just to entice them)... ask first if they interested and how much they willing to pay. If they not keen... then sell to foreign media. If it's stuff like car accident in your backyard etc then it's too local (not newsworthy enuff). Stuff like tsunami etc... whole world will want your photos. Even if taken using phone camera.

metallilan said:
and which mentality is that...

KS lor.. got free must take!

Status
Not open for further replies.