Can Canon A95 Fit With A Digital Slave FLash & Any Recommendation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

donchua

Nov 30, 2004
Tampines
Was thinking whether can the Canon A95 fit with a digital slave flash.
If can, how? Any advise?

And any recommendation of cheap & good slave flash ?
If not cheap, what will be the price like?
Thanks.

donchua said:
Was thinking whether can the Canon A95 fit with a digital slave flash.
If can, how? Any advise?

And any recommendation of cheap & good slave flash ?
If not cheap, what will be the price like?
Thanks.

if u mean mount onto the cam, no. there's no hotshoe on A95, thus cannot take any flash or flash accessories.

however, u can do a search on megaweb's modification on how to use a external flash on a A70. IIRC, he mounted the flash on a stroboframe-like device and pasted a small cardboard on the A70 flash so that the camera flash can be directed upwards, thus triggering the external flash. :)

nightwolf75 said:
if u mean mount onto the cam, no. there's no hotshoe on A95, thus cannot take any flash or flash accessories.

however, u can do a search on megaweb's modification on how to use a external flash on a A70. IIRC, he mounted the flash on a stroboframe-like device and pasted a small cardboard on the A70 flash so that the camera flash can be directed upwards, thus triggering the external flash. :)

Yah, so what will be the cost of a digital flash?
The L-bracket come with the flash?
If not, the L-bracket cost how much?
Thanks.

How to modify? I'm very interested to find out for my A85. :think:
Thanks donchua for starting this thread. :thumbsup:
Thanks nightwolf75 for pointing out that A85 can be modify. :thumbsup:

Venom81 said:
How to modify? I'm very interested to find out for my A85. :think:
Thanks donchua for starting this thread. :thumbsup:
Thanks nightwolf75 for pointing out that A85 can be modify. :thumbsup:

Do you have megaweb's site link?
He got show how to do it with his A70.

I have tried megaweb's setup on my dad's casio, but the pre-flash fire the external flash gun. Just like in the case of ETTL flash on canon DSLR, the pre-flash set-off the slave flash thats fitted with optical triggering device.

Does the A70 & A85 use pre-flash for flash metering?

donchua said:
Do you have megaweb's site link?
He got show how to do it with his A70.

Nope I don't have the link. You have? Care to share? :think:
I also want to try it for my A85.

denniskee said:
I have tried megaweb's setup on my dad's casio, but the pre-flash fire the external flash gun. Just like in the case of ETTL flash on canon DSLR, the pre-flash set-off the slave flash thats fitted with optical triggering device.

Does the A70 & A85 use pre-flash for flash metering?

You have the site link? Care to post it? :think:
Thanks. :bsmilie:

hi just to share... my A75 uses 1 pre-flash for metering. I am using a Suntax 9000 series slave flash. bought is 2nd hand for 60. you can search for a kako 9000 series too. same one. works well for me.

Hi Climber, do you mean your suntax 9000 slave flash will not be trigger by the pre-flash on your A75 setup?

Found the page I need liao. Thanks. But still blur on how to modify A70. Too newbie to understand. :dunno:

Just a thought....

canon just release some new powershot A series and ixus series cams in US.....seem tat this new cams can add on additional flash...u might wan go to dpreview to check it out.....I wonder whether this feature can be used on the older A series models...like A85 or A95... :dunno:

If it can be used will be great liao.... ;p

denniskee said:
Hi Climber, do you mean your suntax 9000 slave flash will not be trigger by the pre-flash on your A75 setup?

Nope denniskee.... the slave flash that i use is compatible to all digital camera. Coz usually digicam will have the pre-flash for white balance. This preflash can fire once or twice before the actual flash can fire.
None of us can see this preflash coz it is too fast for the naked eye. I think it is like 1/1000th of a second.
The slave flash i use can read this preflash and then fire alongside my camera flash to give a more powerful flash. My A75 will be triggered by the pre flash. And of course you can play with the angles of the flash and give interesting results.
But i'd like to add a point that almost all slave flashes cannot adjust their intensity of the flash, just fyi.

Climber said:
Nope denniskee.... the slave flash that i use is compatible to all digital camera. Coz usually digicam will have the pre-flash for white balance. This preflash can fire once or twice before the actual flash can fire.
None of us can see this preflash coz it is too fast for the naked eye. I think it is like 1/1000th of a second.
The slave flash i use can read this preflash and then fire alongside my camera flash to give a more powerful flash. My A75 will be triggered by the pre flash. And of course you can play with the angles of the flash and give interesting results.
But i'd like to add a point that almost all slave flashes cannot adjust their intensity of the flash, just fyi.

Hi Climber, does the Kako 9000E work the same as the Suntax 9000?

Climber said:
hi just to share... my A75 uses 1 pre-flash for metering. I am using a Suntax 9000 series slave flash. bought is 2nd hand for 60. you can search for a kako 9000 series too. same one. works well for me.

Climber, how do you mount the suntax on your A75?
You using the supplied straight bracket or L-bracket?
If L-bracket, where you bought it & price?
Got pic to show your setup?

Just a reminder, after checking with megaweb, he had confirm his A70 is in manual mode, ie no pre-flash.

For those who are interested in his type of setup, make sure your camera is able to fire the flash in manual mode, ie no pre-flash.

Or like Climber, make sure you get a flash that will not be triggerred by the camera's pre-flash.

Just bought a used Kako 9000E at $40.
Tested it with my A95 in P mode using F2 on the flash, happy with the results.
Just that the the flash was fitted on the side of the cam, a bit un-balance
when using my Canon tripod with the QR plate due to the weight of the flash..

donchua said:
Just bought a used Kako 9000E at $40.
Tested it with my A95 in P mode using F2 on the flash, happy with the results.
Just that the the flash was fitted on the side of the cam, a bit un-balance
when using my Canon tripod with the QR plate due to the weight of the flash..

hi mind if u show how to fix the flash on?...got a pic or something like tat? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.