Can calibrating my monitor solve my printing problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

moodsetter

Mar 16, 2007
www.photoblog.com
Hi
I just started using the Selphy es20 ,when i perform printing there is a yellow cast and the pic looks underexpose.By purchasing a monitor calibrator to perform calibration on my laptop monitor will it solve the printing problem? Thanks for reading my thread and help with my issue.

partially yes it would.
my guess is that your monitor is way too blue and too bright.

after calibration to 5000k color temperature and 120cd/m brightness,
find the profile of your selphy and use 'softproof' view option in photoshop to see more or less the almost exact image that'll be printed.

partially yes it would.
my guess is that your monitor is way too blue and too bright.

after calibration to 5000k color temperature and 120cd/m brightness,
find the profile of your selphy and use 'softproof' view option in photoshop to see more or less the almost exact image that'll be printed.

hmm.. 5000K seem very yellowish tho.

Hi ,
Thanks for the advice. I read up on some monitor calibrating hardware in the market seems mainly there is the spyder series and PANTONE huey . Which kind would be more suitable for my case? And would be able to solve my printing issue?

hi hi !!
Originally my photos tuirned out yellowish too. Are you using a LCD screen or at least a lap top ? If so then it might be useful to you.
Here is how I sloved my problem. ... I calibrate my monitor using Spyder 3. After caliberation, I got an icm file / profile. I set my printer to use that icm profile under color management.
I am using photosop CS 2 to edit my photos. so in photoshop, print preview, color management, under printer settings, make sure it is selected the new icm profile. Under color handling, select let photoshop determined color. Your prints should come out with a color that is more true. If youa re using something else to edit and print your photos, you can do a quick internet search on how to color manage ...

hmm.. 5000K seem very yellowish tho.
looks yellowish at the beginning but you'll get used to it.
5000k for prints is the industry standard, all printer profiles are built around it.

for screen calibration, a spyder 3 elite is recommended and it's quite affordable.

hi hi !!
Originally my photos tuirned out yellowish too. Are you using a LCD screen or at least a lap top ? If so then it might be useful to you.
Here is how I sloved my problem. ... I calibrate my monitor using Spyder 3. After caliberation, I got an icm file / profile. I set my printer to use that icm profile under color management.
I am using photosop CS 2 to edit my photos. so in photoshop, print preview, color management, under printer settings, make sure it is selected the new icm profile. Under color handling, select let photoshop determined color. Your prints should come out with a color that is more true. If youa re using something else to edit and print your photos, you can do a quick internet search on how to color manage ...

My fren, no offence intended, but please DO NOT set your printer to use a MONITOR profile.:D You cannot calibrate print output with a monitor profile! What u are actually doing is feeding a bunch of meaningless numbers to the print engine. That your output looks better is more of luck and the combination of colours in that shot than a testament to this technique.

As a simple illustration of just ONE of the differences: a monitor is SUBTRACTIVE, the more "colour" you add, the closer to white you get. Print output is ADDITIVE, the more ink you lay, the closer to black you get.

You can download an free introduction to print profiling from my website. www.littlepictureshop.com

Hope this helps.
Squall

Hi
I just started using the Selphy es20 ,when i perform printing there is a yellow cast and the pic looks underexpose.By purchasing a monitor calibrator to perform calibration on my laptop monitor will it solve the printing problem? Thanks for reading my thread and help with my issue.

The only way to get consistent output is to have a print profile (the selphy might come with a canned profile). Then use this print profile to soft proof in PS while doing colour correction.

The monitor needs to be calibrated but the standard calibration for whatever colorimeter (huey/ spyder etc) you choose will suffice.

The key is :
1. Soft proof with the selphy profile in PS.
2. Colour correct out the yellow cast WITH the soft proof on. There are some simple techniques discussed here on cs :(http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=482962)

You can download a free tutorial/ introduction on print profiling from my website. www.littlepictureshop.com

My humble 2 cents.
Squall

Hi,
Thanks so much for all the advice. Will Calibrating my monitor be enough to correct the color on my printing issue?.I am just a home user to print some photo for my family .
I came across this product spyder 2 suite that allow user to perform color profiling .how izzit different from spyder 3 pro? Anyfeed back from the users?

spyder 3 is more accurate and more suited for modern lcd monitors.

I think you need monitor calibration and printer profiling to achieve a perfect match. The only product that I know of which can do both is the Spyder3Studio. It isn't cheap. Only CP is currently carrying this product. Not sure how much it cost.

Hi,
Thanks so much for all the advice. Will Calibrating my monitor be enough to correct the color on my printing issue?.I am just a home user to print some photo for my family .
I came across this product spyder 2 suite that allow user to perform color profiling .how izzit different from spyder 3 pro? Anyfeed back from the users?

For your purpose, spyder2 is good enuff. With the monitor calibrated and the right printer profile, you shld be able to get decent enough prints. Have fun :)

Status
Not open for further replies.