Can batteries store in Dry cabinet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
why not =)

I have stored my Batt in dry cabinet for past 2 years without issue. it may be better as the contacts will not oxidize.

hahs yeah, why not? it's one of the safest place to store them hahas

I have stored my Batt in dry cabinet for past 2 years without issue. it may be better as the contacts will not oxidize.

they will still oxidize (dry box not in vacuum) but won't over-oxidized a.k.a corrode. :)

they will still oxidize (dry box not in vacuum) but won't over-oxidized a.k.a corrode. :)

the contact of the battery do oxidize.. but they jus form a layer of oxide the adhere to the metallic surface. so they wont corrode unlike ferrous metals. :D

I used to put it inside my dry cabinet but now i put them outside as the 'dryness' inside may dry up the insides of the batteries.

I used to put it inside my dry cabinet but now i put them outside as the 'dryness' inside may dry up the insides of the batteries.

I doubt there is any way of "dryness" sneaking inside your batteries. Most camera batteries are Lithium-Ion types. If they get in touch with Oxygen due to leaking you'll have some fireworks at home ...

Hi all, thanks for your advises.
:) my batteries is staying in the cabinet from now on.

Last edited:
I doubt there is any way of "dryness" sneaking inside your batteries. Most camera batteries are Lithium-Ion types. If they get in touch with Oxygen due to leaking you'll have some fireworks at home ...

I fly RC model planes which makes use of very high capacity and high discharge rate rechargeable lithium battery packs. I keep all my lithium cells including camera and mobile phone lithium cells in individual zip lock bags (to prevent accidental shorting) inside a medium sized earthernware jar with a heavy lid. In one of the model aircraft forums, I saw a video link showing an unfortunate modeller's car going up in smoke when a lithium cell decide to go ballistic inside the car. Not a pretty sight.

Can you imagine what it'll do to your other very expensive camera gear inside your dry cabinet of one of these decides to go off. I must say that lithium cells used in model planes are often pushed to the limit of self destruction and beyond whereas lithium cells for cameras and mobile phones are generally used well within their safety limits. So its relatively unlikely to rupture and burn. For myself, I just don't want to take the chance (small though it may be) with these cells having seen their pyrotechnic capacity first hand. They don't just smolder and heat up........they explode and continue to fizz for sometime shooting off little incendiary fireballs (serious - I kid you not) and burning anything they end up sticking to.

sorry to borrow the thread.

Aside from camera and stuffs, can we put watches into the dry cabinet. I mean winding ones like rolex, etc.?
sorry for the noob question.

Cannot. Your watch will explode.

Waahaahaaa, I like your sense of humour. :bsmilie:

Anyways, try not to store batteries in dry cabis for extended periods of time. Perhaps a couple of months is ok, but for several year without use may not be a good idea. :)

Waahaahaaa, I like your sense of humour. :bsmilie:

Anyways, try not to store batteries in dry cabis for extended periods of time. Perhaps a couple of months is ok, but for several year without use may not be a good idea. :)

I think you can sell your camera and look for other hobbies, haha:bsmilie::bsmilie:.

Yes, because they are meant to be used. Excessive storage will discharge them. All kinds of batteries are to be stored charged. For further details consult the battery vendor.

Cannot. Your watch will explode.

Hi entropy, thanks for your response. will keep that in mind.

anyone else has other constructive answers please?

sorry to borrow the thread.

Aside from camera and stuffs, can we put watches into the dry cabinet. I mean winding ones like rolex, etc.?
sorry for the noob question.

don't be sorry to borrow the thread.

just don't borrow his thread. start your own. this is the newbies corner for a photography forum, not a watch collectors forum. ;)

To be safe, i still don't put them inside the dry cabinet cos there's also no need to.

Status
Not open for further replies.