can anyone teach me how to achieve this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

haslansalam

Jan 28, 2009
Pasir Ris
hi, newbie here. just curious how do u achieve this effect on the water? handheld or tripod? exposure, iso etc?

thanks in advance, bros!

3262862299_5d635892c2.jpg

sorry, here's the image taken in CS gallery

Camera mounted onto a sturdy tripod with a long exposure (to get smoky / silky water), and compensating your aperture (hyperfocal distance?) and ISO values on your own (depending on the scene).

1. Do NOT just link to someone else's pic without crediting them.
2. It's a very very very well-documented trick, it's even in most camera manuals. Try a google search for "smoky water effect"

I'm guessing tripod, about 0.5 to 1 second exposure, aperture and ISO adjusted for correct exposure. Open shutter as wave is receeding.

Hi Bro.. this is done by increasing the shutter speed.. means to actually open the shutter for a longer period of time.. trick as it might cause the background to be overexposed..
i am as new as you.. so i hope this help.. any Pros can share more will be appreciated.. ;)

1. Do NOT just link to someone else's pic without crediting them.
2. It's a very very very well-documented trick, it's even in most camera manuals. Try a google search for "smoky water effect"

ooppss..sorry.. ok, got this photos from fellow CS member. Here's the link http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=477812

for the rest who have contributed, thanks, I may use it when i visit Jurong Bird Park tomorrow...

for the rest who have contributed, thanks, I may use it when i visit Jurong Bird Park tomorrow...

That'll be with the waterfall I presume? If it is bright you may need a ND filter as exposure for silky waterfall can be in the seconds. Try 1, 2, 4 and 8 seconds for different effects to see what you like. And be thankful you're not using film :)

Most likely needs an ND grad filter to pull off. I'd bracket a few shots to find the median of exposure between the sky and beach and then post process from there since I dont have an ND Grad. However, the pictures in this case seemed to have been sitched from seperate photos taken to exposure for the sky and sea alone.

ND filter lor

hi, newbie here. just curious how do u achieve this effect on the water? handheld or tripod? exposure, iso etc?

thanks in advance, bros!

which effect?

clouds cannot be achieved with anything, they have to be there

if you're talking about water,

shutter speed is key, if you understand how iso/shutter speed/aperture work, to be honest, maybe do not even need nd filters, just stop down to f/19 or f/22 (diffraction is seriously overrated at times, depending on lens), iso lowest possible, and go bananas.

which effect?

clouds cannot be achieved with anything, they have to be there

if you're talking about water,

shutter speed is key, if you understand how iso/shutter speed/aperture work, to be honest, maybe do not even need nd filters, just stop down to f/19 or f/22 (diffraction is seriously overrated at times, depending on lens), iso lowest possible, and go bananas.
i tried on a sunny day with ND filter. with F20, ISO100.
still get overexposed pix.

2x ND filter will do the trick?

There is ND2, ND4, ND8 and even ND400. So use the one required to reduce the exposure to the required amount.

probably not, to be honest.

wait for the right light. most people pack up and go once the sun disappears after sunset. yet it is then that the colors, and the light can be so beautiful.

anyways, for that amount of motion shown in the picture linked.. maybe nd8 will do.

I think you need a tripod and GND filter. Set ISO to lowest, Tv priority and set shutter speed to 1 sec or so. If it is still over exposed, u may need ND filter.

Cheaper way is to do HDR image. Get different exposure image and blend together using photomatrix.

I think you need a tripod and GND filter. Set ISO to lowest, Tv priority and set shutter speed to 1 sec or so. If it is still over exposed, u may need ND filter.

Cheaper way is to do HDR image. Get different exposure image and blend together using photomatrix.

most important...

a shutter release cable if you want a sharp picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.