Can anyone recommend a circular polariser for S5500?


Status
Not open for further replies.

boroangel

New Member
Apr 23, 2005
431
0
0
#1
Hi guys...going on a trip to take landscape pics so would like to have a circular polarisers for taking pics with 'bluer' skies and cutting off reflection, glare etc. I am using Fuji S5500 and it has a 55mm adapter ring (is it also called a hood ?) in front.

1. Can anyone recommend me a circular polariser to buy for my camera? Like the Brand and model and price? Need to get it next week.

2. Regarding testing of the circular polariser, when we buy do we have to test it? I found this post by student which I think teaches how to test it without using a camera...

(2) Take you CP, go to any shop where there is a glass and look through the glass. You should see a lot of reflection. Now put the circular polariser up and look through it and turn the outer ring. At some point the glare should disappear or reduce. Or you can take the CP to a pond. Again you will see glare. Do the same thing. Whether you prefer the pond to have glare or not is entirely your taste
3. Oh one more...thinking of getting a UV filter also so need a recommendation on this too....but I think UV filter dont need to be very good right?

Thanks..;)
 

Jul 17, 2005
2,504
0
0
33
Clementi
#2
if u have the money, get the good ones. personally, i use HMC filters on my more expensive lenses. i suggest u get a B+W MRC UV for ur cam. or if u want cheaper, get the hoya hmc super or hoya DMC UV.

CPL, i use the cheapest single coated hoya one. i find that it makes no diff
 

LordAeRo

New Member
Jul 21, 2005
369
0
0
30
Jurong East
#3
boroangel said:
2. Regarding testing of the circular polariser, when we buy do we have to test it? I found this post by student which I think teaches how to test it without using a camera...
You can test it without a camera by, like what student said, look through the polariser and turn the outer ring whilst look at reflected surfaces. Be careful though, one side instead of reducing reflections, will give a yellowish tint. So just in case you get a yellowish tint, turn the polariser around. You're probably just looking at the wrong side.
 

boroangel

New Member
Apr 23, 2005
431
0
0
#4
Isaiahfortythirtyone said:
if u have the money, get the good ones. personally, i use HMC filters on my more expensive lenses. i suggest u get a B+W MRC UV for ur cam. or if u want cheaper, get the hoya hmc super or hoya DMC UV.

CPL, i use the cheapest single coated hoya one. i find that it makes no diff
A B+W MRC UV, does B and W mean black and white? So my pics will be in black and white?:dunno:

So the hoya hmc super and hoya dmc uv are the specific models for UV filters.......what about the circular polariser? Which one should I get?


LordAeRo said:
You can test it without a camera by, like what student said, look through the polariser and turn the outer ring whilst look at reflected surfaces. Be careful though, one side instead of reducing reflections, will give a yellowish tint. So just in case you get a yellowish tint, turn the polariser around. You're probably just looking at the wrong side.
Thanks ....thats something new to me....will try it out....
 

LordAeRo

New Member
Jul 21, 2005
369
0
0
30
Jurong East
#5
boroangel said:
A B+W MRC UV, does B and W mean black and white? So my pics will be in black and white?:dunno:

So the hoya hmc super and hoya dmc uv are the specific models for UV filters.......what about the circular polariser? Which one should I get?
B+W is the brand name.
 

tOGGY

New Member
Oct 18, 2004
520
0
0
#7
boroangel said:
A B+W MRC UV, does B and W mean black and white? So my pics will be in black and white?:dunno: .

No offence, but this bring a burst of giggle. Thanks.

Btw, buy the B+W. It is good. it will add to your repertoire of good shoots involving water, glass, sky and reflective surfaces.
 

boroangel

New Member
Apr 23, 2005
431
0
0
#8
tOGGY said:
No offence, but this bring a burst of giggle. Thanks.

Btw, buy the B+W. It is good. it will add to your repertoire of good shoots involving water, glass, sky and reflective surfaces.

Then how about circular polariser......should I get the Hoya 55mm circular polariser too?
 

LordAeRo

New Member
Jul 21, 2005
369
0
0
30
Jurong East
#9
You only need one polariser. Haha. B+W are expensive, so if you're on a budget you can get the Hoya one.

I used to think that B+W was black and white too. Hehe.
 

boroangel

New Member
Apr 23, 2005
431
0
0
#10
B+W MRC UV is a UV filter or a circular polarizer? Tot it is just an UV filter?
 

tOGGY

New Member
Oct 18, 2004
520
0
0
#11
boroangel said:
B+W MRC UV is a UV filter or a circular polarizer? Tot it is just an UV filter?
B+W is a brand. The company makes various kinds of filter - including circular polarisers.
 

boroangel

New Member
Apr 23, 2005
431
0
0
#12
Bought a Hoya UV filter at $12 and Hoya circular polariser 55mm at $42 from Alan Photos just now.....tried it at the shop and it does help to reduce the reflection of a person say, on a glass panel when I point the camera 45 degrees to the glass panel......however, reflections of lights (ceiling lights) could not be reduced at all no matter what angle I point the camera ont he glass panel...is it because it is too strong?
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom