Can anyone pls advise which camera should i get???

Status
Not open for further replies.

1sttimemum

Aug 29, 2006
Hi... everyone!! I am new here and in fact i should say this is my very first time in this forum. Actually spend sometime reading thru the thread and found ppl here really very helpful and nice and therefore dare to ask for help.

I am a new mummy and hoping to get a decent camera to shoot my bb growing stages..
I dun have anything in mind but advise by my friend to get a canon. What i actually want is the shutter to be fast coz bb move and change position quite fast and i scare i won't be able to capture fast enough and hope to have video function so i can film my bb.... Budget wise, i hope to get a 2nd hand one. Can anyone here kindly advise which model should i go for if my budget is only less than $300. Thanks everyone in advance.

i think $300 is not enough

what you need is a camera that can shoot in low light
low noise with high ISO and anti shake function
(some ppl don't like to use flash on bb)

you also want a camera that has a fast response when you press the button.
(no shutter lag)

good luck and have fun
oh! Welcome to CS

Than may i know how much do i need to pay to get one??? Do you have any model to recommend me??? I really have no clue coz whenever i go to harvey norman or best denki, they also try to push those on promo.... so far, i went there 4 times, they intro 4 different types so i really dunno which one to buy?? Do u think i can get a 2nd hand camera??

My friend actually give me one canon 2 mega pixel camera but its spoilt. Can view photo but cannot take, do you think i should take that for repair?? :cry: :cry: Where can i bring for repair??? Sorry to ask so many question.... coz i am really very new to camera. Thanks in advance. :)

Hi, u have the same intention as I did when I bought my S3 IS in May, just to shoot my 1st new born son.

What I see now is that if you like photography, then S3 IS is good for you, as it comes with many controls. And it has 12X Zoom! Can catch you child in action from far away!

If you are less into photography, but just 1 2 capture some pics of your child, IXUS series is fast in terms of auto focusing and it gives very sharp image most of the time. Zoom is less, from 3-6X.

But all this cost more than $300...so may be you would like to increase you budget to get a long term investment in a good cam....consider installment plan if you dun mind.:)

Hope this helps a little in you literature research.:)

1sttimemum said:
Hi... everyone!! I am new here and in fact i should say this is my very first time in this forum. Actually spend sometime reading thru the thread and found ppl here really very helpful and nice and therefore dare to ask for help.

I am a new mummy and hoping to get a decent camera to shoot my bb growing stages..
I dun have anything in mind but advise by my friend to get a canon. What i actually want is the shutter to be fast coz bb move and change position quite fast and i scare i won't be able to capture fast enough and hope to have video function so i can film my bb.... Budget wise, i hope to get a 2nd hand one. Can anyone here kindly advise which model should i go for if my budget is only less than $300. Thanks everyone in advance.

Hi, see this thread for the Canon service centers. Can always call them to enquire on the fee for repair.

Think you have to check on the model you 1 and go and buy. The salesman will sell you the set with the highest commission they get....go to dpreview website to read the reviews of the cameras you are interested in and do a comparison in terms of performance and then go check out the price. If you need, you can get e-quotation from some popular shops in singapore, like the Cathay Photo, ms color and Alan Photo.

Happy searching!

1sttimemum said:
Than may i know how much do i need to pay to get one??? Do you have any model to recommend me??? I really have no clue coz whenever i go to harvey norman or best denki, they also try to push those on promo.... so far, i went there 4 times, they intro 4 different types so i really dunno which one to buy?? Do u think i can get a 2nd hand camera??

My friend actually give me one canon 2 mega pixel camera but its spoilt. Can view photo but cannot take, do you think i should take that for repair?? :cry: :cry: Where can i bring for repair??? Sorry to ask so many question.... coz i am really very new to camera. Thanks in advance. :)

1sttimemum said:

my advice is to get the Canon IXUS 800 IS

there is one for sale in the B&S forum
http://forum.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=218921

1sttimemum said:
Budget wise, i hope to get a 2nd hand one. Can anyone here kindly advise which model should i go for if my budget is only less than $300. Thanks everyone in advance.

From my experience, little kids are spontaneous and seldom sit still for photo shots. When getting their photos shot, things around them easily distract their attention. Hence for the camera requirement, it is better to get one with reasonably fast auto-focus and low shutter lag.

Spend a little more and consider a 2nd hand Nikon D50 or Canon 300/350D with the kit lens. Kids grow up very fast; IMHO capturing their development moments is priceless.

I've shot photos of kids with my D70, PM me if interested.

Can try getting the Sony Ericsson Handphone K800i..3.2Mega Pixels..got Cyber Shot, can do video oso..can use as handphone oso..that's wat most of my mama ji frens did..shooting with handphone is so convenient..the camera is always easily reached..

jeffhiew said:
From my experience, little kids are spontaneous and seldom sit still for photo shots. When getting their photos shot, things around them easily distract their attention. Hence for the camera requirement, it is better to get one with reasonably fast auto-focus and low shutter lag.

Spend a little more and consider a 2nd hand Nikon D50 or Canon 300/350D with the kit lens. Kids grow up very fast; IMHO capturing their development moments is priceless.

DSLR is good ...but is out of budget, for this low budget only can search around for
DC .. digital camera.

ex. IXUS series, S3 IS, Sony, check out B&S see any 2nd DC arond
B & S site -> http://forums.clubsnap.org/forumdisplay.php?f=20

Sell at S$88
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=218109

Sell at $550
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=219123

Broaden ur budget n get e Nikon D50 Kit.

It has a 'Child Scene Mode' for shooting babies n children. Have tried it n has never failed me. Go for it n u'll never miss any precious moments of ur child. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Apart from diz, u can venture into e xtra features it has to offer too...

Thanks everyone for the advise... really very glad for all the help!!! Really learn alot from here....:D :D

lastboltnut
Your bb very cute.... my bb is already coming to 5mth liao and all the while long, i have being using my hanphone to shoot my bb photo but not very clear lor... hope to capture everything of him!!! ;p

something with good low light performance would be good... don think you wanna use flash on ur bb

Wah, DSLR....:sweat:

jeffhiew said:

Thanks for the compliment. It really depends on what type of photo u 1 and how much effort you 1 2 put into photography loh.....simple compact? Prosumer? DSLR? Diff level, diff output, diff effort and diff $.....Ü

1sttimemum said:
Thanks everyone for the advise... really very glad for all the help!!! Really learn alot from here....:D :D

lastboltnut
Your bb very cute.... my bb is already coming to 5mth liao and all the while long, i have being using my hanphone to shoot my bb photo but not very clear lor... hope to capture everything of him!!! ;p

Yah, too young dun use flash directly. But now 5 months liao, think can take with flash when the child is not looking at the cam directly.:)

ExplorerZ said:
something with good low light performance would be good... don think you wanna use flash on ur bb

1sttimemum said:
My friend actually give me one canon 2 mega pixel camera but its spoilt. Can view photo but cannot take, do you think i should take that for repair?? .....

Can this be part of the cameras canon and sony repairs for free? Try contacting Canon.
Pls read... This may help you get free repair.

lastboltnut said:
Yah, too young dun use flash directly. But now 5 months liao, think can take with flash when the child is not looking at the cam directly.:)
what for? wan take muz take with eye contact unless for some other purpose

her bb only 5mths old, still have a good 8-12 mths before he/she starts to run around

bb will lie still for you to take pictures, don't need a DSLR for now.

Hi,

I'm currently using the Fuji F11. Main reason for suggesting this camera is that it can shoot very good photos indoor without flash. Won't confuse you with technical details but simply put, the Fuji's ability is such that if you use it side by side with any other portable point and shoot cameras indoors, it will be able to give you a correctly exposed picture without using flash in situations where other point and shoot cameras cannot. If you set the setting to Sports mode and leave the ISO setting to auto, you should be reasonably pleased with all indoor shots, without using a flash.

As Ortega mentioned, some people do not like to use flash on babies. I don't recommend it either because it may scare them. I've also heard that it may be bad for their eyes if you point the camera directly at them (this you need to check with a doctor).

The Fuji F11 also does decent movies and the length of the movie is limited only by your memory card size so that should work for you too.

If your bedget allows, go for the new model Fuji F30, which replaces the F11. The F30 is going for about $600 and it's picture quality indoors, without flash, is even better than the F11. F11, brand new, should be going below $500.

Just went to the Fuji forum and noticed that there is a thread on pictures taken by the F10, F11 and F30. Go take a look at the threads. There is a picture of a cat taken without flash and appears to have been taken indoor. That would give you a good idea of what I was talking about.

O, not necessary....eye contact makes good portrait. But most of the time I would like to take my son in action, like when he is "chatting" with someone, crying, drooling over his favorite "drumstick" (his fist lah).....etc, so many pics will be candid and not posed.....hope you get what I mean....so eye contact pic will be a fraction of what I take only. But when I take with eye contact, I dun use the flash loh.:)

By the way, it's just personal preference.:)

ExplorerZ said:
what for? wan take muz take with eye contact unless for some other purpose

Status
Not open for further replies.