Can anyone explain the lense jargons related to Canon lenses?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JerChan

As above. Have been looking at camera lenses and really do not understand what the L, non-L, II, III lenses from Canon are all about.

In addition, I notice that Canon has EF mounts, MP and TS-E mounts. What is the reason behind having different mounts?

Originally posted by JerChan
As above. Have been looking at camera lenses and really do not understand what the L, non-L, II, III lenses from Canon are all about.

In addition, I notice that Canon has EF mounts, MP and TS-E mounts. What is the reason behind having different mounts?

The II, III lenses are the kind of mark the lenses are.
Eg. Mark II lens in the 2nd version of this lens with the same kind of specifications.

Canon L-series lenses are their upper-end range of lenses. They use the finest material and technologies, and they cost a lot too!

Canon EF lenses are lenses that can be used by all Canon EOS cameras now. Canon no longer produces manual cameras.

TS-E lenses can be mounted on a Canon EOS cameras, however TS-E lenses require manual focusing. These lenses are capable of tilt (alter the angle of plane of focus between the lens and film plane) and shift (move the lens' optical axis in parallel) movements which greatly expand picture-taking possibilities, especially in architechure.

I hope this will answer your query.

:)

Wow, all the L lenses are priced with a 4-digit price tag.

However, this brings me to wonder if it really is worth the premium?

By the way, what is a MP-E mount?

And what does the various focus drive like belt, MM and AFD mean?

By the way, what is a MP-E mount?
I have no idea what is a MP-E lens, however, what I know is that the MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x Macro Photo costs a massive S$2080!!! Unlike a EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro (maximum magnification of 0.5 times), EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM (maximum magnification of 1.0 times) & EF 180mm f/3.5 L Macro USM (maximum magnification of 1.0 times), the MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x Macro Photo has a maximum magnification of 5.0 times!!! :eek:

And what does the various focus drive like belt, MM and AFD mean?
Before the introduction of the Ultrasonic Motors (USM) technology, Canon lenses use the Micro motor (MM) AF Actuator. The II or III lenses without the USM use this MM AF Actuator. The USM in EF lenses is a lens-based motor. 2 types of USM are used: Ring-type USM (found in large-aperture and super telephoto lenses) and micro USM (used in more compact lenses). :)

Don't ask me what is a belt focus drive and AFD focus drive. These I don't know. :dunno: Hee...

AFD stands for Arc-form Drive which was the original motor used to drive the AF. Never used one before, though I have read that the focus is slow and noisy. Now succeeded by the MM motor. Belt drive is another AF motor used in mainly lower end lenses. It is not very outstanding either......

Wow, all the L lenses are priced with a 4-digit price tag.

I think the 100-300L cost less than 1 grand ;). Am eyeing this lens.
No frills lens though.

Regards,
JK

Originally posted by tanjk

I think the 100-300L cost less than 1 grand ;).
The EF 100-300f/4.5-5.6 USM does cost less than a grand, however, this is not a L lens :( .

And the lowest list price for a Canon EF L lens is the EF 70-200 f/2.8 L USM which is listed at S$ 1700. The actual price will be much cheaper though. ;)

Originally posted by Bean
The EF 100-300f/4.5-5.6 USM does cost less than a grand, however, this is not a L lens :( .

And the lowest list price for a Canon EF L lens is the EF 70-200 f/2.8 L USM which is listed at S$ 1700. The actual price will be much cheaper though. ;)
There is an EF 100-300 f/5.6L but I believe it has been discontinued.

I have no idea what is a MP-E lens ... cropped
MP -> Macro Photo
E -> this one i'm guessing that it refers to the EF mount

I'm talking about the 100-300 f/5.6L. No USM, push-pull zoom type, rotating front element. And yes, it's a discontinued product, but the last time I enquired, Cathay seems to has it. But I didn't go on as I'm enquiring the 100-300 f/4-5.6 USM instead. It was only then I realized that Canon has this offering at an affordable price.

Regards,
JK

OIC... Sorry sorry for my ignorance. :embrass:

Hee... :D

EF 70-200 f4L is about S$1250 (probably S$900-1000 used)
EF 200 f2.8L frequently goes for $800 or thereabouts used.
EF 80-200 f2.8L (older lens) can be had for about S$1000 used.

Thus not all L lens are that expensive. It depends on what you are looking at.

P.S. S$1700 is the typical 2nd hand price for the EF 70-200 f2.8L so if its less than S$1700 for new, you've got yourself a good deal. :)

Originally posted by NaturePhotoG

P.S. S$1700 is the typical 2nd hand price for the EF 70-200 f2.8L so if its less than S$1700 for new, you've got yourself a good deal. :)
Opps... my mistake here again. :embrass:

It's the EF 70-200 f4.0 L USM :thumbsup: that is listed as S$ 1700.
The EF 70-200 f/2.8 L USM :thumbsup: :thumbsup: is listed as S$ 3100.

Cheers.

There are many older L lenses for less than $1K. The 80-200/2.8L, 28-80/2.8-4L and a few others come to mind. I purchased my 200/2.8L for less than $1K.

As for the MP-E 65, it's a dedicated manual focus macro lens capable of 5x magnification. It is an EF mount lens, and fits all EOS cameras.

Canon lenses can be roughly divided into a few categories :
1. Low end kit lenses: Lenses like the 35-80 or 38-76 zooms which come along with low end bodies like the EOS-88/66/500. These typically have plastic lens mounts and a micromotor AF mechanism.
2. High end consumer lenses like the 28-135 or 28-105 zoom, and some primes like the 24/2.8, 35/2 etc. These are typically more well built, have a steel lens mount, and usually have a USM motor for fast, silent focusing. They usually have a distance scale too.
3. High end (professional) L lenses. These typically have very sturdy construction, USM motors, and wide apertures (70-200 f/2.8 etc). They are the ones priced in 4-digits. These usually come with a lens hood, carrying case and a tripod collar for long lenses. They also have a red ring.

Canon AF motors can be classified as follows:
1. MM : Micromotor. This is the cheapest motor used. It's typically found in low end lenses like cheap kit zooms and some primes like the 100/2.8 non-USM and the 50/1.8-II. Its focusing speed is slow, but on some lenses like the light weight 50/1.8-II it can be quite fast due to the small amount of glass it has to move. Putting it on the 100/2.8 macro was a disaster.
2. AFD : Arc Form Drive : This was popular at one time. Most old Canon lenses use AFD. Some current lenses like the 24/2.8 and 35/2 are also AFD. They are noisy, but usually fast.
3. Micro-USM : This is a cheap variant of the ultrasonic motor. It's found in some mid range lenses like the 75-300 IS, 50/1.4 USM etc. It is quite silent but does not allow full time manual focusing (turn the MF ring to focus even while in AF mode) except on the 50/1.4.
4. Ring-USM (the king) : This is found in most recent Canon lenses like the 28-105 and 28-135 zooms, and almost all L lenses. It is very fast and silent. It allows FTM (full time manual focusing).

Other notes: Variants in lens naming (mark-I, II etc) are just to identify later versions of the lens.

Hope this helps.

Canon only has ONE mount for AF cameras, the EF mount. MP-E and TS-E are just different lenses. All these will work with all EOS cameras without losing any functionality.

MP-E : There is only one such lens, the 65mm MP-E which is a dedicated manual focusing 5:1 magnification macro lens.

TS-E lenses provide tilt and shift capabilties akin to large format camera movements. There are three such lenses, a 24mm, a 45mm and a 90mm.

IS : Image stabilizer. Corrects for lens/camera shake.

All these will work with even the oldest EOS camera - it's nice to have backward compatibility.

Originally posted by tanjk

I think the 100-300L cost less than 1 grand ;). Am eyeing this lens.
No frills lens though.

Regards,
JK
I was walking around Peninsula Shopping Centre (building where Ruby Photo & TCW are located) today and found this lens at Francis Studio (something like that, near the other end of the building of Ruby, opposite a cafeteria) selling for S$880. You might want to go take a look. ;)

Originally posted by Edmund
I was walking around Peninsula Shopping Centre (building where Ruby Photo & TCW are located) today and found this lens at Francis Studio (something like that, near the other end of the building of Ruby, opposite a cafeteria) selling for S$880. You might want to go take a look. ;)

Thanks for the tip :)

Regards,
JK

Status
Not open for further replies.