Can anyone advise me on how to protect our camera and lens on oversea travelling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckpy7677

May 23, 2006
Sengkang
Hi, I would like to seek comments and advise on what precaution or safetly measures on:

1) protecting our cam and lens durning cold / winter condition? :confused:
2) Has anyone visited any countries during their winter season? :cool:
3) What problems you had faced and how you managed to overcome it? :dunno:
4) How many lens you bring with you for your oversea travelling? :think:
5) Bring tripod along? :sweat:

Appreciate and thank you in advance for your kind advise and comments....

For me,the cold weather affect nothing much the lens and camera but the battery. Battery run out very fast so u should bring spare and try to keep the battery warm by putting it in your pant pocket.
U should use lens hood to protect from the snow and the light that snow reflect.
Usually u should travel light ,if u use nikon ,the kit lens 18-70 is quite enough, bring one more tele is ok.
Tripod ? If light weight then ok, for me i prefer left it at home, should enjoy the trip more.
Hope these help.

Hi, I would like to seek comments and advise on what precaution or safetly measures on:

Appreciate and thank you in advance for your kind advise and comments....

1) protecting our cam and lens durning cold / winter condition?

there is a padded weather cover that i got from perly(methinks) when i went to korea last year...

2) Has anyone visited any countries during their winter season?

yup...
3) What problems you had faced and how you managed to overcome it?

the probem was that with gloves on u may find it hard to press the shutter and change lenses....w.o it on u'd prob lose ya fingers after awhile....
4) How many lens you bring with you for your oversea travelling?

i tink your normaly daily setup would be great....lenses you are most comfortable with daily cannot be THAT wrong right.

5) Bring tripod along?
i normally pack it in the luggage and take it out only on certain days where i'm sure i'm gg to do night shots...:D

my final advise is...if it is a photography trip u are looking for....then its best to pay attention to your gear and all...if you're out to relax....then seriously...dun carry too much...enjoy ya holiday :D

cheers

Upz....and thanks.... for bahibo and witness's comments.... Anymore helpful and kind soul out there for advice???.....;)

1) protecting our cam and lens durning cold / winter condition? :confused:
Ans: My camera and lenses are not afraid of cold. Other than rain, I just use them as per normal. However, take note of the batteries as they drain rather fast in cold weather.

2) Has anyone visited any countries during their winter season? :cool:
Ans: I went to US and Japan just early this year. Temp is like -3 deg to 7 deg. Yes, I was lucky enough to be "caught" in the blizzard snow in Tokyo.

3) What problems you had faced and how you managed to overcome it? :dunno:
Ans: Only problem is not with the gear but with myself. My fingers are frigging frosted when I remove my gloves to take photos.

4) How many lens you bring with you for your oversea travelling? :think:
Ans: It depends on whether you define your trip as a photography trip or a leisure trip. For the earlier, erm... maybe 2 bodies, 1 tele, 1 wide and 1 normal range? For the later, maybe a 18-200 should be sufficient.

5) Bring tripod along? :sweat:
Yes, I did and it weigh a ton. You'd probably need it to take photos of a. yourself/ family or b. scenery or c. sunrise/ sunset or d. night photography.

Upz.... and thanks Lmodel for your comments.... ;)

Upz... for Monday Blues..... Anyone out there???? Thanks :D

Upz.... for Tuesday Morning..... Anyone out there??? Care to give any advice? Thanks :)

1) protecting our cam and lens durning cold / winter condition?
What's there to protect from cold??? :think: If it's coldness, then the only way I think is to keep it close to your body. If it's knock and shock, I suppose that the camera armour can do the trick. Just keep your bag dry, and everything's going to be fine.

2) Has anyone visited any countries during their winter season?
Yes, I went to Japan when they have their heaviest snowfall. Darn, it's cold.

3) What problems you had faced and how you managed to overcome it?
Problem faced is with thick gloves and small controls. :bsmilie: I got some heat pads in my pockets to keep my hands without gloves warm quickly.

4) How many lens you bring with you for your oversea travelling?
2 Lens, 17-55mm and 50mm. Mainly due to the difficulty in changing lens, and it's weight.

5) Bring tripod along?
Though I would very much want to bring along a tripod, I seldom bring it along. I only bring it along when I drive, or planned on what I want to shoot that requires it (eg. night scene).

I think the only worry is fogging (condensation) inside the lens.
You have to be "lucky" to meet this kind of scenario; the temperature of the camera / lens surface has to be below the dew point temperature of the air, then you'll get condensation forming.

Status
Not open for further replies.