Can anybody tell me why Chris Ling is charging a premium for his photography services

Status
Not open for further replies.

VKMobile

Aug 29, 2006
Have been browsing a lot of photos and visited some bridal shops. However, it really has something different from a traditional type of bridal shop photography.

Nevertheless, it's really very expensive, $2500-2800 for 1 day.......20 pictures only. Before I go ahead and burn my pocket a big hole for my wife, would like to seek for any other suggestion that's similar to it.

We are quite blur about photography, just feel that Chris Ling's portfolio really looks nicer.

VKMobile said:
Have been browsing a lot of photos and visited some bridal shops. However, it really has something different from a traditional type of bridal shop photography.

Nevertheless, it's really very expensive, $2500-2800 for 1 day.......20 pictures only. Before I go ahead and burn my pocket a big hole for my wife, would like to seek for any other suggestion that's similar to it.

We are quite blur about photography, just feel that Chris Ling's portfolio really looks nicer.

art is subjective... if u feel its nicer, then price is worth it, then go for it... if u go for a 500, then u get not so nice, the u regret for rest of your life...

I think there are a two factors
- brand image -
nearly everyone knows how ex is CL is, so letting ppl know you engage CL sends out a signal in terms of class and prestige
- style -
they do hv a unique arty style

For the quality and for the brand..
And most importantly.. for the consistency and guarantee

frankly speaking, I didn't really know who is Chris Ling until my wife was browsing the pictures on the web. She was also browsing avenue 8.

Do you guys have other suggestions for alternatives? Brand is not the most important factor to me, but the quality, the consistency and unique style is important to me!

Thanks guys!

consider:
how big is your pocket?
how many % of it out of your total wedding expenditure?
your next choice alternatives charge how much?
how much do you like your next choice?
will your wife kill you if you refuse?
will she refuse to even cook instant noodle for you next time?
still have $$$ after clearing all the bills?
with that amount what would you rather spend on after the wedding? still have the $$$ to spend on this?

but frankly, you just chuck it aside in the closet after your wedding & house warming period.........after that, it is all the billing paying time for other household expenses & "self-pampering" items, etc. etc etc......;)

We have about 1 year+ to go before the banquet. That's why we are prepared to start "paying now" rather than enjoying the "fun & romance" and suffer later for a long time.

Alternatives means cheaper than Chris Ling but quality & style comparable lah.

aiyo, how come suddenly it become a wedding discussion? Let's talk about photography lah!

there are plenty of photographers here for you to explore. perhaps bridal forums would be a good place for you to find that cheaper and just as good photographer too.

as mentioned, there is more to the pricing than just "better photos = more expensive", especially when "better" is highly subjective. also there's other things to consider, what you are paying for is something you have NOT seen. it's not like buying a painting from the gallery. you see it in front of u and u decide whether u wanna pay the price tag on it.

for such services, you need to "pay first" then you will see the goods. (photos of you and your partner). as such, reputation, reliability, professionalism and of course portfolio are the only indications of how your images (i remind, are not seen when you pay the deposit) would turn out.

if i was chris ling, i would charge a lot of money for a higher "guarantee" that my photos will be done well the first time.

so to sum it up, you are paying for "better" images, which is subjective, and the fact that your images have a higher chance to meet your expectations, or exceed them, from his track record.

both these points i mentioned above are intangible. i repeat, it's not like buying a painting that you are seeing in front of you (which can costs thousands!!).

also, you say chris is expensive. u forgot to mention, compared to other photograhers locally perhaps. if you compare him to photographers in UK and US, he is very very veryyyy cheap.......

thanks jOhO.

I agree with you, Chris is cheap if compared to overseas more famous photographer, and you're right, art is very subjective.

Actually I am asking for alternatives for me and my wife to choose and compare. As long as the feeling is right, price is secondary. However, if the feeling is not right, free also I need to reconsider.....

OK, if you are shy, you can always PM me :D

rokieto said:
consider:
how big is your pocket?
how many % of it out of your total wedding expenditure?
your next choice alternatives charge how much?
how much do you like your next choice?
will your wife kill you if you refuse?
will she refuse to even cook instant noodle for you next time?
still have $$$ after clearing all the bills?
with that amount what would you rather spend on after the wedding? still have the $$$ to spend on this?

but frankly, you just chuck it aside in the closet after your wedding & house warming period.........after that, it is all the billing paying time for other household expenses & "self-pampering" items, etc. etc etc......;)

just from my practical point of view only, my wife agreed tt we overspend on the album.....cos we like the photos we printed more so end up spending more.....

of course the decision is yours, depending on your taste & financial powers..... besides your wife's final approval....& whether she has a katana, especially if your name is "Bill"....:bsmilie:

congrates & good luck!

haha, that's what most people being trapped. We are fine with the 20pcs photo album and it will be the max. So many for what?

hi all, I am not looking for actual day photographer. I'm looking for pre-wedding photographer for both indoor studio and outdoor scene photography. Thanks.

For the rest, do post the alternatives to Chris Ling if you feel that they are good! :)

I think it's chicken and egg besides the quality and consistency.

For the price he is charging, by serving 1 or 2 couples, he could easily survive and expand the business. And because of the time dedicating to the couples, he could deliver real quality stuff, I know post processing is very important besides "on-the-spot" shooting skills. On the other hand, those charging lower rate would suffer volume problem as they have relatively lesser time dedicating to the couple and thus unable to produce their top standard products. I may be wrong....but this is my mentality so far.

He charges a certain price because he thinks he's worth it. That's about it.

VKMobile said:
thanks jOhO.

I agree with you, Chris is cheap if compared to overseas more famous photographer, and you're right, art is very subjective.

Actually I am asking for alternatives for me and my wife to choose and compare. As long as the feeling is right, price is secondary. However, if the feeling is not right, free also I need to reconsider.....

OK, if you are shy, you can always PM me :D
hehe no i'm not shy.. i'm not sure if u know i'm a wedding photographer too :)

for pre weddings i do charge as much as chris (believe it or not), altho i don't cap at 20 images.

my portfolio is in my signaure. :)

jOhO said:
hehe no i'm not shy.. i'm not sure if u know i'm a wedding photographer too :)

for pre weddings i do charge as much as chris (believe it or not), altho i don't cap at 20 images.

my portfolio is in my signaure. :)

jOhO's good :thumbsup:

U can ask ard the people here.

What i feel is that style is a very subject phenomena. A photographer providing a service will charge what he feels he's worth.

Similary, you pay the photographer if you feel that he's worth what he's charging. Its as simple as that. It's choice my friend.

Cheers

interesting, I think you guys are really helpful in the feedback. And thanks for the PM. Will browse through and call you guys for meet up. After we met Chris :)

I didn't know there are $3500 one. He just updated the website? When we saw yesterday, it was $2500......

Status
Not open for further replies.