Can anybody tell me why Chris Ling is charging a premium for his photography services

Status
Not open for further replies.
$3500 is not too expensive, compared to someone i know. You get what you pay for. More $$ for top notch service, assured quality and timely delivery. Alternatively you can pay lower and hope they deliver. Off course you should balance your budget with what you like, i mean how many ppl can actually afford a ferrari w/o breaking the bank.

VKMobile said:
I think it's chicken and egg besides the quality and consistency.

For the price he is charging, by serving 1 or 2 couples, he could easily survive and expand the business. And because of the time dedicating to the couples, he could deliver real quality stuff, I know post processing is very important besides "on-the-spot" shooting skills. On the other hand, those charging lower rate would suffer volume problem as they have relatively lesser time dedicating to the couple and thus unable to produce their top standard products. I may be wrong....but this is my mentality so far.

that is where everyone is so wrong, the photography business is not as cheap as it seems, rental is the 1 killer of profit, 1 couple can only cover rental, how about overheads and a decent salary?

VKMobile said:
haha, that's what most people being trapped. We are fine with the 20pcs photo album and it will be the max. So many for what?
you are so wrong.
By the time you spend hours selecting through all the nice photos taken, you will probably end up wif 50 and more photos. then need to narrow down to 20pcs.
More often than not, couples will easily add photos (costing about $70- $100 per photo). Some even end up with 2 albums :sweat:
(this applies to nearly all bridal photography studios, unless their skills really sucks)

VKMobile said:
I think it's chicken and egg besides the quality and consistency.

For the price he is charging, by serving 1 or 2 couples, he could easily survive and expand the business. And because of the time dedicating to the couples, he could deliver real quality stuff, I know post processing is very important besides "on-the-spot" shooting skills. On the other hand, those charging lower rate would suffer volume problem as they have relatively lesser time dedicating to the couple and thus unable to produce their top standard products. I may be wrong....but this is my mentality so far.
Which pro photographer can ever survive with 1 or 2 couples. :rolleyes: Let alone expand business. Even those photographers who do not have shops and do editing themselves can't survive. Need to spend hours editing, print and make the album, take into account equipment maintanence costs and so much more.

For your info, Chris Ling has a rather big shop, on top is studio, also has a few full-time photographers, Digital Imaging staff, videographers.

For cheaper alternatives, you can try places like Z-wedding, Wedding news, Satine and a whole load more along Tanjong Pagar. Costs around $3K including gowns, flowers, car rental etc.
After seeing the portfolios at theses places, compare with Chris Ling, Avenue 8, Utopia, Robin etc.
If you can't tell the difference or don't see much difference, go for the cheaper solution.

Oh, even cheaper ones... go Malaysia. Heard less than S$800 can settle everything :bigeyes:

Erm...that price looks quite okay actually.....you need to buffer more...becoz most of the time after hour of make up and dress up.....a long full day of shooting......20 pics is really nothing......I bet you will eventually end up with 40 or even 60 photos.....you have to top up the additionals....I have gone thru that just last year.....package price was $2888 initially including wedding day's apparel, flower bouquet, some ribbons for the car....the total damage was $5000 :lovegrin: Fortunately it was in RM :D

bro VK,

Go for what you and your wife are comfortable with. It won't break your bank as the pictures are for keeps. Maybe you can trim off the budget from the banquet part abit as the high cholesterol food goes down the sewage after 18hrs - like it or not.

Somehow, I feel that wedding in Singapore is about making hotels richer while the couples try to pinch from other areas. This is a trend we will take time to change. Whenever i advise pre-wed couples, I always tell them that they can trim off from the banquet as it has a much much bigger buffer to tap from. For eg, cut down on beer serving and red wine by half if they are really limited by budget, but still want face for their parents.

The couple should focus more on the post wedding tangibles as these bring back memory better than abalon and shark fin that your guests enjoyed. Photography is one important facet in the whole celebration.

All the best and may you have a blissful marriage.

Contaxable

thanks brothers for all the advice. Would definately cutting down on banquet as much as possible....however.....aiming at Raffles Hotel.....I really got no idea how to cut things down....

VKMobile said:
interesting, I think you guys are really helpful in the feedback. And thanks for the PM. Will browse through and call you guys for meet up. After we met Chris :)

I didn't know there are $3500 one. He just updated the website? When we saw yesterday, it was $2500......

I know of a photographer whom charges easily $5k for his "time" only, excluding prints. You pay premium to get premium.

More importantly, it is being comfortable with your photographer and trust that he delivers.

Rule of thumb for wedding photography, there's no take 2 if there first is not good.

Hello VK

Since you have about a year to your big day, you may wish to spend some time looking at other photographers' work. Just like JoHo mentioned, bridal forums or clubsnap is a good place. Thru bridal forums, I got to look at various couples' pre-wedding & AD photos and most importantly, price (i PM-ed them). Do not limit yourself to just the photographer's main web page, as some of them may not have enough time to update their latest works. Who knows, you may be able to find one whom you two are comfortable with and charges a lower price then Chris Ling. At the end of the day, if you think that Chris Ling is still the best, at least you know that the premium he charges is worth paying for ... Good luck :)

Save your neck, let your wife-to-be decide.
If you do not want her to neck at you for the rest of your life.:nono:
You are probably more confused now than before you started looking around.
This is a major decision for her, not for you. You simply worry about the bill.:sweat:

I guess it's the same reason why people would pay a premium for anything, be it a luxury car, watch, jewellery, or hmm, cameras.

Somethings, some people go by gut feel. Why go for a Bentley when a Lada would do the same job? Or a Tiffany vs a Taka Jewellery engagement ring of the same specs?

It all boils down to: "I like" vs "I don't like".

I agree with fellow CSers here: Consult your wife, ask her what she likes. If you can actually afford it, just go for it. Remember, something is only expensive if it's not worth it. And whether something is "worth it" really depends on you! :)

lol, i think Winsonapm and synapseman got the right point. Luckily I am always passing whatever I see to her. Otherwise, in fact, I didn't know about Chris Ling until she showed me his website.

Status
Not open for further replies.