Can any one gove me a brief explanation as to how a DSLR excells over a normal camera

georgiee

Mar 13, 2012
Hi guys ive never owned A DSLR before, but was thinking of learning more about it.
Could anyone give me a brief explanation of the DSLR,
the type of lens, flash, exposure, aperture, shutterspeed.
Hope someone can give me some guidance for me to start out my journey of Photography.
Thankyou!

...pretty sad to see this type of questions keep popping up in the Newbies Corner despite the many useful stickies in the Newbies Corner...

Here are some of the common ones...

1) http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/newbies-corner/787393-faq-dslr-camera-buy.html

2) http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/newbies-corner/309544-photography-notes-newbies.html

3) http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/newbies-corner/206981-photography-related-faqs-links-newbies.html

TS... buy your camera first, and then we'll talk later.

your question is too broad as we have many brands of DSLRs and Mirrorless cameras in the market. Sony, Nikon, Pentex, Fuji, Panasonic, Olympus and lastly Canon (and also other obscure and expensive brands)

1. you have full control
2. image quality is way better
3. response of the camera is way better
4. have lots of accessories
5. looks pro

LOL thought this was a newbie corner, was expecting some kinder comments haha.
I mean ive looked up on google etc, but they dont give personal experience on these aspects.
I was choosing between a Nikon D5100 SLR and a Canon 600D which i have read is good for starters?
Could u guys give some openion on these 2?

The biggest advantage is Control.

You have full control over all the exposure parameters.

You have full control over the focal lengths used.

You have full control over what lenses to use.

You have full control on what to focus on.

But when you have full control, you also need the skill to know how to control the camera, to achieve the vision you want to achiever. So if you do not have any sense of composition, or no vision of what you want to produce, or if you do not have the skills to execute the shot you want to produce, your result will not be very desirable.

I mean ive looked up on google etc, but they dont give personal experience on these aspects.
I was choosing between a Nikon D5100 SLR and a Canon 600D which i have read is good for starters?

Both are good cameras. The final decision will lie on you, which you prefer after you have hands on each camera.

georgiee said:

To be honest whatever we say here is useless unless you buy the camera and actually experience for yourself all these things.

Both are great cameras. Best is to go to a shop and ask them to let you fiddle with both, then see which camera you like better. Things to look out for include how bright the viewfinder is, viewfinder coverage, how it feels in your hands, the weight with the kit lens (which is the lens you are likeliest to use at the start). Forget the freebies they are usually rubbish. Slow SD cards, wobbly tripods, tiny bags, etc.

Also shop around; prices vary quite a bit. Big chains like Harvey Normans usually very expensive.

Any where to reccommend? where they have cheap prices and are willing to let u test the product out?
I have boon shopping for my audio equiptments at Adalphi and see some camera shops there?
issit reccommended to purchace my DSLR there?

the most distinctive is the ISO...

DSLR ISO is cleaner then compact cameras although nowadays these compact cameras are catching up.

but if u compare a few years back... the ISO from entry level DSLR Canon 450D wins any compact cameras from that era hands down.

Any where to reccommend? where they have cheap prices and are willing to let u test the product out?
I have boon shopping for my audio equiptments at Adalphi and see some camera shops there?
issit reccommended to purchace my DSLR there?

you can try funan, slrr, tk and many more~~

We are once newbies as well, not that we are cruel to fool around with you but you are asking to be spoon fed here. Maybe you can search in the forum or at least google what is aperature, shutter speed etc.

No offence, but we are not really paid here, cheers.

bigger
more stylish
ppl will look at u differently

Bigger = Heavier
More Stylish = More people look at you when you take photo of them, and will scream at you.
ppl will look at u different = especially when the pictures you produce cannot make it.. waaaah camera so good, pictures so lousy...

:bsmilie::bsmilie:

It's not.

Sure you have more control, better quality images etc etc but at end of the day, if you don't work on or can't be bothered with the basics, the results wont be much different.

You are lucky already .. these comments are considered mild .
There was a legendary PCW who will foxtrot any newbie who would dare to ask such question
Reason being he has done extensive research and he feels you did not