Can any one gove me a brief explanation as to how a DSLR excells over a normal camera

Okay sure i will.
Going over to Australia next week. Shall take some pictures back for you all to comment.
Please keep this post active till then HAHA....
appreciate it.

Perhaps it's a bit of the "dont even know where to start" syndrome with the TS.

How I approached learning was to think abt the types of shots I wanted to achieve.

E.g. Most ppl wanted to achieve the 'pro' look in their portraits where the subject is in focus and the background is blurred...

So juz google this exact question and tons of links will pop up on how to do this. Then topics like depth of field, points of focus, etc. will come in.

So on and forth, you still be going from 1 topic to the next...

End of the day, as most seniors will advise, juz go out there and start shooting! :)

ditto have fun !!

difference between a regular point and shoot and a DSLR is ............ control
difference between a SLR and a DSLR ...... convenience of digital vs film

if u get flamed please hit the Report Post 'triangle' icon at the offending comment so that we can have a look at the situation

enjoy your time here

Ohh was looking for one of those report button but cant find haha

and that does NOT mean that we condone some of these exchanges either on both sides

its a forum.... stick to the point and avoid getting personal is my personal advise

DSLR can

select shutter - dynamic =select to open for long long time --> get motion blur ; select fast shutter = get freeze-frame MODES: Manual/ Tv (Time Values)

select aperture- wide aperture -- F/small number eg F/1.2 aka F1.2 = shallow field of depth (just a small distance-range in focus ahead and behind your focal point, good for portraits. more light allowed in (big iris), more diffraction, though.
narrow aperture -- F/large number eg F/22 aka F22 = deep field of depth (a great distance-range in focus ahead and behind your focal point, good for landscape. Downsides, lesser light (small iris). MODE: Manual, Av (Aperture Values)

DSLR can interchange lens. DSLR can add-on filters on top of lens, too.

select ISO -- 'fast' ISO = shoot in dark with lesser noise and lesser light requirement.

not to mention auto bracket, exposure compensation, metering, etc.

Hope that helps. I am also learning.

Last edited:
DSLR can

select shutter - dynamic =select to open for long long time --> get motion blur ; select fast shutter = get freeze-frame MODES: Manual/ Tv (Time Values)

select aperture- wide aperture -- F/small number eg F/1.2 aka F1.2 = shallow field of depth (just a small distance-range in focus ahead and behind your focal point, good for portraits. more light allowed in (big iris), more diffraction, though.
narrow aperture -- F/large number eg F/22 aka F22 = deep field of depth (a great distance-range in focus ahead and behind your focal point, good for landscape. Downsides, lesser light (small iris). MODE: Manual, Av (Aperture Values)

DSLR can interchange lens. DSLR can add-on filters on top of lens, too.

select ISO -- 'fast' ISO = shoot in dark with lesser noise and lesser light requirement.

not to mention auto bracket, exposure compensation, metering, etc.

Hope that helps. I am also learning.

:think: hmm an advance compact can do all the above except change lenses (maybe range of settings a bit more limited) ;)

A DSLR, if in danger can use as a weapon and whack. More powerful flash to blind. Enjoy your trip.

:think: hmm an advance compact can do all the above except change lenses (maybe range of settings a bit more limited) ;)

Smaller sensor also in a compact = less depth of field and poorer low-light quality. But if you like to take macro shots the smaller sensor is an advantage.

yet to see advanced compact have bulb mode or auto bracket. or iso 6400 /12500 (im shooting entry lvl 2nd hand canon 500D, arredy quite satisfied! :)

Smaller sensor also in a compact = less depth of field and poorer low-light quality. But if you like to take macro shots the smaller sensor is an advantage.

yet to see advanced compact have bulb mode or auto bracket. or iso 6400 /12500 (im shooting entry lvl 2nd hand canon 500D, arredy quite satisfied! :)

hi sorry no intention of putting anyone's comments down =p
just thinking that advanced compacts nowadays have most DSLR features, and won't be surprised if the manufacturers add more

I think most advanced compacts can do auto exposure bracket, just need to look up where to set
Olympus XZ-1 has bulb mode up to 16min.
Canon G1X has a sensor bigger than micro 4/3s. And it can go up to ISO 12,800

Agree that smaller sensors definitely have poorer low-light performance
For macro with compacts, you have to go quite close, so for the bug hunters that's a disadvantage hehe... not to mention the perspective distortion if you use the wide range of zoom on compacts and go real close

I'm also using entry level DSLR, together with an advanced compact. Still love my DSLR, the feel of the mirror going up and down somehow feels good haha (think this is one feature that compacts will unlikely replicate) ;)

thanks for sharing about the advanced compacts. I think i've been using too many idiotproof PnS cameras (i got a Nikon PnS which you can only select from wide range of scene settings). turns out this camera is idiotproof because im the idiot :D hahaha...

ok at least ONE thing a compact will never beat dslr or slr: ability to look directly thru lens via viewfinder... (Lcd screens dont count!)

ok at least ONE thing a compact will never beat dslr or slr: ability to look directly thru lens via viewfinder... (Lcd screens dont count!)

True, though that just gives you a "real" view, not what the sensor actually sees

Some DSLRs have 2 slots for memory storage e.g SD , CF cards while PnS don't.

LOL thought this was a newbie corner, was expecting some kinder comments haha.
I mean ive looked up on google etc, but they dont give personal experience on these aspects.
I was choosing between a Nikon D5100 SLR and a Canon 600D which i have read is good for starters?
Could u guys give some openion on these 2?

In a snapshot D5100 and 600D about same same. so see your needs and which feel better in your hands. Personally. I'll go for D7000.
Nikon - great pic and iso management for night shots
Canon - better video and great pic

D3100 ok for beginner. Hope you really enjoy it. have fun. lots of guided explanation and instruction for all the options. functions and manual.
Would be reasonability great to start off with into DSLR world. Only real big set-back. Not much re-sale value. :cry:

Last edited:
pbear1973 said:

Smaller sensor gives u more DOF actually.

georgiee said:
LOL thought this was a newbie corner, was expecting some kinder comments haha.
I mean ive looked up on google etc, but they dont give personal experience on these aspects.
I was choosing between a Nikon D5100 SLR and a Canon 600D which i have read is good for starters?
Could u guys give some openion on these 2?

OT- sorry had to delete my post. Sorry ha

Last edited: