Can any camera do infrared photography?

Jeffrey 0ng

Jun 11, 2010
@ East Area
I just saw few post is using IR photography. Then wonder is it any camera can do IR photography? :confused:

Can why not...

Attach a infrared filter

1) in front of the lens... (for PNS also can but have to light-sealed all)
2) modification on you CCD or CMOS

Thanks for paesyl and ndroo reply. Then paesyl is it me my canon 550D fix a infrared filter in-front can take infrared photography?

Thanks for paesyl and ndroo reply. Then paesyl is it me my canon 550D fix a infrared filter in-front can take infrared photography?

Buy a IR filter and fix it on you lens.

theoretically, all cameras can do IR.

i don't think there have been situations where a camera couldn't produce an ir picture if set to it. the trouble is that some cameras are a lot less sensitive to IR and you would need extremely long exposures (think 4 minutes on a sunny day wide open, iso 200) to get a well exposed picture.

so some cameras are recommended over others for IR, but the answer to your question, with my limited understanding, is "yes".

based on this:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1031&message=35056324

it definitely can take IR filters.

the question is how long - from experience canon cameras tend to have extremely strong cut-off filters, so they will require extremely long exposures usually as mentioned in last post.

please read the stickies in the Infrared section for detailed instructions on how exactly to do infrared photography without modifying your camera. don't be lazy. :nono: there is a wealth of information on the net as well.

Can do a simple test on how sensitive your camera is to IR as follow:

1. set to Program mode and ISO 100.
2. use LiveView or electronic VF (PNS)
3. point a TV remote control at the lens from within 30cm and press any button on the remote.
4. should see a purplish spot. The brighter it is means the more sensitive it is to IR.

The main issue is the AA filter. Some have stronger filters and may not allow the IR to pass thru. As such, some even remove this filter as a modification and replace it with a IR filter.

Thanks for everyone ans my Q. I will go read more from web site. But need to modification my canon then maybe I will not do liao. Hehe... (Maybe when I got extra camera will do it)