Can 75-300mm AF 4.5-5.6 do macro shots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marlin

Jan 24, 2002
AMK
Visit site
any body using this lens for macro...can you post some of ur shots with settings....own one of this lens but can't seem to get sharp shots with it...hoping to learn from of u...thanks

marlin said:
any body using this lens for macro...can you post some of ur shots with settings....own one of this lens but can't seem to get sharp shots with it...hoping to learn from of u...thanks

Without seeing your shots and without owning the lens, I'm hazarding a guess that you can't get sharp shots because of camera shake. Have you been using the lens at the 300mm end most of the time? Going by the rule of one/focal length, you need shutter speeds of >1/300 to prevent camera shake from being evident(this obviously varies from person to person but is a good guide). If you are using it on a DSLR like the D70, effective focal length is 450mm, which translates into a >1/500s shutter speed.

Also check if you are shooting it wide open. Most consumer grade zoom lenses suffer from softness or distortion at either extremes of the zoom range, as well as at the widest aperture. To get the best results, close it down to around f8, stay away from the extreme ends of the zoom range, and use a tripod.

marlin said:
heard that this lens is quite soft at the 300m end wide open...try f8 or f11 with tripod

All pic shown are 100% crops...Comments are welcome :)

300mm_f5.jpg

#1 300mm Wide Open Tripod

300mm_f16.jpg

#2 300mm at f16 Tripod

200mm_f5.jpg

#3 200mm at wide open Tripod

200mm_f16.jpg

#4 200 at f16 tripod

Whether D' or G' lens, the closest focusing distance is 1.5m...anything closer than that you won't get a sharp image even if you do manual focusing.... ;)

Firstly, I dun understand how you can shoot macros wide open, at f/5.6. :dunno:

I understand azone has a comprehensive guide on shooting macros, do a search for his username & click on the link inside his signature.

2ndly I'm not too sure if that's macro shot you're doing, you seem to be standing far away and using the zoom to focus in close & crop to get your 'closeup' shots. Perhaps you would be better off using a 1:1 reproduction like the Nikkor 105 f/2.8 Micro len.

espn said:

I understand azone has a comprehensive guide on shooting macros, do a search for his username & click on the link inside his signature.

2ndly I'm not too sure if that's macro shot you're doing, you seem to be standing far away and using the zoom to focus in close & crop to get your 'closeup' shots. Perhaps you would be better off using a 1:1 reproduction like the Nikkor 105 f/2.8 Micro len.

i treid using the ED version together with a nikon Close up 6T. I use no longer than 200mm and stop down to 16. It is sharp. Try using flash and set the sync speed to check out. it cannot be this bad!

espn said:

the pictures are for illustration of the lens capabilities and difference between the f stops...as i no expert in this field so ask opinion of u guys....jus want to know whether is this lens capable of macro shots...as i dun want to waste money to buy a new macro lens :D

All the shots were taken at 1.5m away on tripod remote triggered...the crops are for the purpose of checking the sharpness...(original pics are big )

thanks for the inputs, guys.

marlin said:
the pictures are for illustration of the lens capabilities and difference between the f stops...as i no expert in this field so ask opinion of u guys....jus want to know whether is this lens capable of macro shots...as i dun want to waste money to buy a new macro lens :D

All the shots were taken at 1.5m away on tripod remote triggered...the crops are for the purpose of checking the sharpness...(original pics are big )

thanks for the inputs, guys.

Is your lens capable of macro shots? I believe wongwm70 have already given you the answer you are looking for... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.