Can 50mm F1.8 used for shooting more than one person?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rongwei82

Oct 5, 2006
Singapore
Hi all, was just wondering can the lens take photos of a group or 2 person and above?

all depends on where are you gonna be... how far are you from the group.

If the focal length is your concern...then it depends on where you stand. If you stand far enough, you can even shoot a million people.

If the aperture is your concern, you can always stop down. Its fixed focal, but not fixed aperture.

I tested my camera with a 50/1.8, to shoot two persons at 3 metres, you'll get a head to chest level shot. pretty tight, but usable.

For event shooting, that will be too far and impractical...and sometimes people might need full body shot.

eh hi, haha, the ans is Y not? as long as u stand far enuf lor.... the reason y 50mm gd for single portrait shot i believe is due to the "close up" u get.... compared to maybe a u noe, 35mm.... btw, i'm still learning oso, so correct me if i'm wrong. anyway back to the topic. personally i had used the 50mm to take grp shot before, well the pic is gd, i get the pic i want. but eh one thing abt 50mm grp shots is that u need to really stand very far away.... jus imagine ur standard kit lens(18-55). if u were given one, will u choose to shoot at 20mm or at 55mm if the grp is right smack in front of u? chances r 20mm for most ppl i believe... so yea, that the link behind it la, using a wider lens is more convenient lor, as in dun hav to be limited n stand so far away from ur subject. if cld be weird at times.... imagine tak grp shot the photographer stand perhaps 3m away?? hope this helps you!

oh ok... cause i read from some of the post here that this lens is sharp and good. But is hard to get a good focusing....:dunno: so i tot it will be more difficult or impossible to get a good focus for a group photo.

Hi Rongwei82,

I think the focusing issue arose for group shot because of the aperture at wide open of f/1.8. With a prime lens, people are tempted to use it wide open and in low light conditions. For a group shot, I will try to do it at f4 or above (better). This way, everybody will be kept in focus. It is a common rookie mistake (which I was also guilty of), to take group shots at f2.8 or even f4 in some instances, and leave some people in the photo out of focus.

The thing about focal length is just how much space you have and how big is your group as mentioned by the others.

Meanwhile, enjoy your 50f1.8 - a value for money lens.

cheers.

of course you can, but group photo you need more DOF, shooting at 1.8 on this lens, or wide open aperture on any other lenses is a No No for group photos.

common sense.

OH..ok...wow...u guys really ZAI....:bigeyes:!!!...LOL...alright guys..thanks for all the help...:bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.