Can 30D built-in flash trigger 580EXII (slave)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

timmax

Mar 7, 2006
Hi

Can my 30D built-in flash trigger 580EX-II flash (as slave) wirelessly? If yes, how to go about get done.

Greatly appreciate your input :)

Can't be done.

Canon body can't trigger flash remotely unlike nikon.

Hi

Can my 30D built-in flash trigger 580EX-II flash (as slave) wirelessly? If yes, how to go about get done.

Greatly appreciate your input :)

U've to either use a speedlite transmitter or a master flash unit to trigger another flash.

No EOS Body can trigger a flash remotely. You have to use Speedlite Transmitter ST-E2 or another 550EX, 580EX, 580EX-II, or any of canon original macro flash commanders..

Can't be done.

But it can trigger a Sigma 500 DG ST on Optical Slave mode - only problem is that you are on full manual!

Canon has never reached the level of Nikon's flash expertise.

its possible.. in mirror lockup mode.. but its not really usable :embrass:

Please elaborate.

its possible to trigger a slave in a mirror lockup mode, as i found out by accident on my 400D.
i don't think it will really differ from the other EOS cameras.
to me its not really usable as the mirror goes up.. you can't possibly see anything from your viewfinder after that, so i can't really frame my shots eg. moving objects, people, etc.
hope this satisfies any queries.

its possible to trigger a slave in a mirror lockup mode, as i found out by accident on my 400D.
i don't think it will really differ from the other EOS cameras.
to me its not really usable as the mirror goes up.. you can't possibly see anything from your viewfinder after that, so i can't really frame my shots eg. moving objects, people, etc.
hope this satisfies any queries.

But what has mirror flipping up have to do with the activation of wireless triggering? Doesn't make sense though.

I think he's refering to optical slaves that won't ignore the preflash.

my apologies for not reading the title properly.
i did manage to trigger of from an optical slave.. not 580EXII.. :embrass: sorry

anyway, you can always attach those optical slave hotshoe triggers to the 580EXII if you wanna trigger via the built-in flash..

either force fire the pre-flash first, as what aloyyolaaloy has mentioned, or by pressing the * button.. or get a model that ignores the preflash..

either force fire the pre-flash first, as what aloyyolaaloy has mentioned, or by pressing the * button.. or get a model that ignores the preflash..

if you rotate the flash head of 550ex, the preflash is cancelled and I use it to trigger my nikon SB-26 and Sigma 500 on optical slave mode without problems. Is it the same with 580ex / 580ex II?

Hi guys many thanks for your inputs. :)

I saw OP selling the wireless radio flash trigger meant for Canon, it comes with a transmitter & a receiver in a package cost around $45. Anyone using this? Is it able to TTL like the Speedlite Transmitter ST-E2 (which the shop owner said yes) or only manual?

anyway, you can always attach those optical slave hotshoe triggers to the 580EXII if you wanna trigger via the built-in flash..

iirc, the "ex" series flash will trigger once and stop working if you using a non-digital optical slave with them (even when the flash is in manual mode). you will have to switch the flash off and on to reset it.

no such problem with "ez" series flash. but the flash will have to be in manual mode. the same goes if you are using the "ez" series flash on eos dslr hotshoe. but that requires alot of understanding about flash photography and the flash unit itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.