Can 17mm focal length takes good landscape shots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Broken Rubber

Sep 12, 2006
Can a lens with 17mm (minimum) focal length take good lanscape shots? Going to NZ for a holiday soon and I wish/hope to capture images as good as those portray over here.

Please advise. :)

Understanding your lens, camera, yourself and the place will help you to take good landscape shoots.

I had came across this question when i just started out photography, thinking i so wanna get a Ultra Wide Angle (10-22 *cropped sensor* ) to capture landscape shots, but after playing around with my 18-55 for quite awhile, i realise actually it is more than enough, and i instead yearn to have a longer telephoto to capture the landscape shots :bsmilie:

So ya, for me i think if you need Wide Angle, 17-18 on cropped sensor should be more than enough as for UWA lens it maybe hard to control the composition as you include alot of detail in your picture. Issolate a certain location with your telephoto may bring out a better effect :thumbsup:

Just my 2 cent

Wow.. Thanks for the affirmations. I guess rather than getting a ultra wide lens, I might as well spend on filters to enhance the image captured. :)

Even my 18mm can do it well, it depends on you =)

Wow.. Thanks for the affirmations. I guess rather than getting a ultra wide lens, I might as well spend on filters to enhance the image captured. :)

Dont rush gettings of filter too, cause the threads will be different with different lens, then you'll end up needing to get more if you are changing lens next time, I think you should just get a basic UV filter to protect your lens, and decide what to get much later on :thumbsup:

If we stick the discussion to just equipments (hardware), my #1 for landscapes has always been to get a very good tripod for your maximum-weight setup.

But you are on a travel. If it's a family holiday, there will be some compromise. Nevertheless, you should at least make do with some sort of support (table-tripod, small bean-bag, etc).

For lens, as mentioned by follow members, any focal length would do.

Last edited:
It is true that any focal length can be used to take good landscape shots. However, majority of such shots, I have noticed, are shot on wide angle.

So to answer the question, 17mm is good, but if you want to more depth and more viewing angle, then you need to look at UWA.

Many years ago, when I went to NZ, I only have with me 50mm film Nikon camera. Landscape comes out just fine! So 17mm should be no problem.

Anyway, nowadays, it is so easy to make pano shots, so UWA may not be that necessary. Ideally, you just need a tripod to keep things straight; a longer focal len probably easier to stitch cf to shorter focal len

Just note the distortion effects on your lens if any. And work around it. ;)

Why not. Any wider u can try to walk back a little ( if feasible ), or else just have good overlap and stitch them in post processing.

Ryan

ChangiBoardwalk-26.jpg
[/IMG]

This is one of the stiched shot that i done =) So i guess you can always live without a UWA , rather then not being able to get a reach on a far scenery.. cropping is never always the solution =)

17mm is very fine. On top of what everyone has mentioned, you may wish to include a circular polarizer as well.

sure, why not?
i've seen very nice landscape photos even from a kit lens (18-55mm).

Ultimately it boils down to good composition, good exposure, adequate depth of field, nice colors/ contrast, and not forgetting that filters/ photoshop do help in enhancing the pic too. ;)

17mm is very fine. On top of what everyone has mentioned, you may wish to include a circular polarizer as well.

juz to remind me.. when to use the CPL again? to reduce the sun glare or something rite?

...why not?

this is like saying that you cannot take good portraits with UWA, a lot of people do it nicely all the time

Status
Not open for further replies.