Campervan and Singapore Class 3 License

giantcanopy

Feb 11, 2007
SG
Any one has driven campervan/motorhome for holidays ?

I am thinking of doing a self drive motorhome holiday in Canada/States coming Sept / Oct.

However I only have a Class 3 License and alot of the 2 berth ones I saw already easily exceeded the 3000kg limit.
( I am also slightly slanted towards getting a slightly more spacious model for comfort )

Did you guys really have to take the Class 4 License ?

Much thanks

Ryan

Hey Ryan,

I asked before in Aust and NZ; no problem with Class 3.
But I would assume that it'd be best to check with the rental agency itself.
Doing this for the experience or 'convenience'?

If I may share, I wanted to do it for the former, since I'm pretty game for new experiences
Recalling how my wife has less refined driving skills, the inability to switch drivers to share the load was highly undesirable
Need to be cautious and alert, it's a heavier vehicle i.e. pay attention to inertia
Doable but weigh all the considerations that come with it. Good luck :)

Thanks for sharing Zichar!

Doing a holiday campervan style is an experience that me n my wife would like to try. It probably gives the ultimate self drive freedom. However it seems it is more in vogue with caucasians than Asian travellers.

While the rental agencies will usually, I assume, be more than happy to rent even if it exceeds class 3 restrictions, the idea of potentially voiding insurance if in case of claims is a little unsettling for me.

As of now we are seriously considering getting a class 4 for ourselves

Last edited:
Hmm I didn't think of it from that angle
But I no longer scoff at insurance - couple of years ago, we broke the windscreen of our rental SUV, rated at AUD1,000 as they had to ship it from Japan (the Mitsubishi Outlander was *THAT* new)
The rental insurance didn't cover it (@#$%!) but NTUC paid up nice and easy, phew and yay
I would now agree that obtaining class 4 clearance would be a great idea. No matter what, it's still a skill that lasts a lifetime
For many years now I've contemplated getting a motorcycle license just for the ease of renting and access in SE Asian countries

Would still think Aust/NZ would represent a much easier 'training ground' - driving on the same side and I don't think you can get the behemoth RVs that the US/Canada have
All that said, sounds like super fun. Photos please, and no slacking at uploading ;p

I would now agree that obtaining class 4 clearance would be a great idea. No matter what, it's still a skill that lasts a lifetime.
Not really in my case, the last time I used my Class 4/5 license was driving a mockup mobile crane around Jurong. :bsmilie:

Is that yellow mobile crane still being used?

Haha perhaps in M'sia? :D Okay okay better not OT

Not really in my case, the last time I used my Class 4/5 license was driving a mockup mobile crane around Jurong. :bsmilie:

Is that yellow mobile crane still being used?

They relocated to SSDC in Woodlands Industrial Park. Apparently according to the service staff, she mentioned that the previous Jurong driving centre rental or something expired and not renewed, and their previous instructors are now under *private* instructors in SSDC, whereas SSDC has their own school instructors.

These private instructors teach with their blue lorries in SSDC, whereas the SSDC school instructors teach with white lorries, as a sort of demarcation within the same compound.

Haha perhaps in M'sia? :D Okay okay better not OT

woa..

too late

6884017155_7c3d1a922f_z.jpg

Signed up for the school instructors instead of the *private/ex-Jurong* instructors. Apparently like BBDC, taking the school instructors allow earlier re-booking of exams in case of a flunking.

I hope I clear this Class 4 in one attempt like my prev Class 3. Class 4 is easier issint it ??! :what:

Great, I now await for you to organize a shooting session, driving a bus to pick up all participants :)
But yeah, it's not too bad from what I've heard. The missus also taking the lessons + test?

I hope I clear this Class 4 in one attempt like my prev Class 3. Class 4 is easier issint it ??! :what:
It's very difficult to fail IMHO. Are you taking the Class 4/5 combo?

It was about S$600 to S$700 when I took the course for both Class 4/5. Heard the fees have gone up.

Last edited:
Great, I now await for you to organize a shooting session, driving a bus to pick up all participants :)
But yeah, it's not too bad from what I've heard. The missus also taking the lessons + test?

Ya my wife signed up for it as well. But compulsory for me to pass ..

It's very difficult to fail IMHO. Are you taking the Class 4/5 combo?

It was about S$600 to S$700 when I took the course for both Class 4/5. Heard the fees have gone up.

Difficult to fail ? thats very reassuring 9V-Orion Images ;) But I haven touch a manual transmission vehicle for eons!

I signed up for Class 4 only. I figure 7250kg load licence is aplenty of campervan types that I can try :). It costs 900++ for the entire package - therory/practical/exam.

Class 5 is another 600-700 ++ additional.

If Class4/5 combi was only 600-700 last time, then it is really freaggin inflation in the face.

Oooooh, I've long long long wanted to try a campervan/RV kind of trip. :(
I remember more than 10yrs ago, in a B&B in Canada, my hosts showed us their motorhome vehicle where they use when they go for their holidays.... I was so intrigue and mersmerized :p

Insurance aside, pls feedback/share after your trip if the class 4 lessons had been really useful/practical etc?

Any one has driven campervan/motorhome for holidays ?

I am thinking of doing a self drive motorhome holiday in Canada/States coming Sept / Oct.

However I only have a Class 3 License and alot of the 2 berth ones I saw already easily exceeded the 3000kg limit.
( I am also slightly slanted towards getting a slightly more spacious model for comfort )

Did you guys really have to take the Class 4 License ?

Much thanks

Ryan

Would the same apply for a caravan?

(By caravan, I mean "trailer attached to a car".)

Don't quite get what is going on in the site here for the UK: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/CaravansTrailersCommercialVehicles/DG_10013073

Last edited:
edutilos- said:
Would the same apply for a caravan?

(By caravan, I mean "trailer attached to a car".)

Don't quite get what is going on in the site here for the UK: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/CaravansTrailersCommercialVehicles/DG_10013073

Class 3 allows unladen tractor/vehicles up to 2500kg, so a caravan behind will probably overshoot. The gist apart from weight is probably a longer vehicle needing more care in turning I think. Long limousines locally need class 4 as well.

I am not too sure about UK licence though, and I m a little lost in the linguistics. Wk you hold a UK licence? I read some of the basic European driving licences are more liberal than Singapore's restrictions.

Class 3 allows unladen tractor/vehicles up to 2500kg, so a caravan behind will probably overshoot. The gist apart from weight is probably a longer vehicle needing more care in turning I think. Long limousines locally need class 4 as well.

I am not too sure about UK licence though, and I m a little lost in the linguistics. Wk you hold a UK licence? I read some of the basic European driving licences are more liberal than Singapore's restrictions.

No I do not, I hold a local driving license.

But they do allow students to drive for 12 months when you arrive there.. After that you should get a UK license... But that said, I know that the UK rentals don't care about that point. :bsmilie:

I have been thinking of eventually going back to the UK to drive around the beautiful coast with a trailer. The trailer parks from my memory (at least in Dorset) are located very close to landmarks... I remember there is one right at the doorstep of the cliffs overlooking Durdle Door + Man O War. So this may be more convenient than staying in the more populated/built-up areas and driving in the dark in the morning around slopes...

nuts said:
Oooooh, I've long long long wanted to try a campervan/RV kind of trip. :(
I remember more than 10yrs ago, in a B&B in Canada, my hosts showed us their motorhome vehicle where they use when they go for their holidays.... I was so intrigue and mersmerized :p

Insurance aside, pls feedback/share after your trip if the class 4 lessons had been really useful/practical etc?

Sure. Lessons n test in March!

There will probably be some utility, but as of now it is more a matter of legal certification for driving larger vehicles.

Difficult to fail ? thats very reassuring 9V-Orion Images ;) But I haven touch a manual transmission vehicle for eons!

I signed up for Class 4 only. I figure 7250kg load licence is aplenty of campervan types that I can try :). It costs 900++ for the entire package - therory/practical/exam.

Class 5 is another 600-700 ++ additional.

If Class4/5 combi was only 600-700 last time, then it is really freaggin inflation in the face.
You have to complete this course in order to pass. :devil: Just pulling pulling your leg. ;p

IIRC for Class 4, you will not have to worry about air brake application and double clutching (which can be a PITA if you are unfamiliar with the concept or mechanically inclined). Essentially it's more or less the same as Class 3, just take note of the payload lashing and turning radius.

Anyway with modern heavy vehicles being equipped with automatic transmission and one hand drive power steering as standard equipments nowadays. The traffic police could just introduce a new Class 4A/5A license. :bsmilie:

Wow that's an extreme video hahaha

After 8 intensive lessons cramped in a week, license to drive huge a** camervans

7028650279_6a5c595fac.jpg

Grats :)
I now know who to call if I need to move house and rent a lorry...
How was the test btw?

Grats :)
I now know who to call if I need to move house and rent a lorry...
How was the test btw?

No instant failures no mounting kerb so I managed to passed on first try. I guess in a way it is easier since we already have prior driving experience, there is no hesitation on lane change etc..

Just have to pay attention during vehicular turning and the wheels - not to mount/brush the kerbs at the vertical/parallel parking stations. .