Cameron Highlands

sachokphantom

Mar 26, 2010
singapore
Hi guys.. I'll be going cameron highland this june for 3 days and will be staying at Equatorial Cameron Highlands. I did try to google and also find info at wikitravel but sad not much info i can.. Mayb cs bros and sis care to share? I need transport info, what i can do, where else can i go and is it sufficient enough 3 days?

Cameron Highland is huge and my advice to drive there.....going by public transport is a little retrictive unless you join tour package....as usual.....you can go tea plantation....hiking etc.....also recommend to go towards weekend as there is a nice pasar malam....

If you read chinese, I have posted my trip in here...check it out http://fotolah.com/thread-525-1-1.html

nice oic you got there.. i dun understand bt just c the photos.. btw fr the hotel, is it a walking distance to the teh boh?

nice oic you got there.. i dun understand bt just c the photos.. btw fr the hotel, is it a walking distance to the teh boh?

As far as I know, the closest one is Sg Palas which is opposite the hotel if you have Kee farm view....walking distance is subjective, as I recon it is at least 4~5 km to the entrance of the planatation, but I read that some people actually hike up to the peak of the mountain :eek::

It will not be walking distance from Equatorial Hotel to Boh Tea plantation. Joining a day tour is more advisable if you don't have own transport. However, most of travel agency are located at Tanah Rata town which is far from the Equatorial. Travel desk in Equatorial also offers the day tour but it is a bit more expensive.

Day tour can cover you what you need for Cameron Highland attractions.

Hi guys.. I'll be going cameron highland this june for 3 days and will be staying at Equatorial Cameron Highlands. I did try to google and also find info at wikitravel but sad not much info i can.. Mayb cs bros and sis care to share? I need transport info, what i can do, where else can i go and is it sufficient enough 3 days?

I got 1 word for you....

DRIVE :D

really, it's gonna be a PITA to be without a car. You can simply stop anywhere along the road when you see that the scenery is nice. You can also go off the main road and look at more unusual spots.

Cameron Highlands is a relaxing place. Lots of greenery everywhere. Cheap vegetables and fruits. Clean and cool air. Don't have too many plans/activities.

As far as I know, the closest one is Sg Palas which is opposite the hotel if you have Kee farm view....walking distance is subjective, as I recon it is at least 4~5 km to the entrance of the planatation, but I read that some people actually hike up to the peak of the mountain :eek::

It will not be walking distance from Equatorial Hotel to Boh Tea plantation. Joining a day tour is more advisable if you don't have own transport. However, most of travel agency are located at Tanah Rata town which is far from the Equatorial. Travel desk in Equatorial also offers the day tour but it is a bit more expensive.

Day tour can cover you what you need for Cameron Highland attractions.

I got 1 word for you....

DRIVE :D

really, it's gonna be a PITA to be without a car. You can simply stop anywhere along the road when you see that the scenery is nice. You can also go off the main road and look at more unusual spots.

Cameron Highlands is a relaxing place. Lots of greenery everywhere. Cheap vegetables and fruits. Clean and cool air. Don't have too many plans/activities.

Thanka guys.. wanna to drive but will be going with my wife only and i dun think i drive that far :) any way i just wanna to have a relax holiday to release stress from the office.. btw thanks again.

You'll regret driving up the hills in circles for at least 1 hour non-stop provided there's no slow moving lorries or buses in front.

Thanka guys.. wanna to drive but will be going with my wife only and i dun think i drive that far :) any way i just wanna to have a relax holiday to release stress from the office.. btw thanks again.

It's not impossible (a friend recently drove almost non-stop from Singapore to Ipoh), though I would personally not want to drive so far on my own. Your wife doesn't drive?
w/o car, I would be very hesitant to visit CH. Only end up seeing the 'typical' places if going by the tour bus.

It's been many years since I've been there
Used to get 'tortured' by my uncle to climb Gunung Brinchang, 5+hrs return? Disgustingly steep but the view above is great
On a clear day, you can see all the way to the sea; even Kampar down below is also visible
My colleague says there's a new road up that's easy and not as winding

It's not impossible (a friend recently drove almost non-stop from Singapore to Ipoh), though I would personally not want to drive so far on my own. Your wife doesn't drive?
w/o car, I would be very hesitant to visit CH. Only end up seeing the 'typical' places if going by the tour bus.

My wife doesnt drive :( in fact i did tried to drive to KL b4 and cant take the back pain what else ch.

It's been many years since I've been there
Used to get 'tortured' by my uncle to climb Gunung Brinchang, 5+hrs return? Disgustingly steep but the view above is great
On a clear day, you can see all the way to the sea; even Kampar down below is also visible
My colleague says there's a new road up that's easy and not as winding

The new road connects to the NS Highway near Ipoh, which is on the north side of the mountain. It is MUCH WIDER and you can easily average 80kmh on that road, compared with about 30-40 on the old, winding road.
However, the extra distance is about 100km I estimate, especially if you're going to the middle towns like Tana Rata and Ringlet. Not quite so worthwhile.

My wife doesnt drive :( in fact i did tried to drive to KL b4 and cant take the back pain what else ch.

Not advisable to drive there then.
Haven't found any worthwhile bus trips there. Most prefer to travel in the dead of night and arrive early morning in CH. Quite risky, in my opinion.
:sweat:

i drove up with family, me being the only driver up to cameron in 2009, i still have the route with me using the new road. much easier and safe compared to the old one. the drive up was so relax i felt disappointed coz i've drove up genting before.

i drove up with family, me being the only driver up to cameron in 2009, i still have the route with me using the new road. much easier and safe compared to the old one. the drive up was so relax i felt disappointed coz i've drove up genting before.

Did you stop somewhere enroute? Or chiong all the way from Singapore to Brinchang?
I find Singapore to CH in one day too far for me, which is weird, coz I've done Sydney to Melbourne (900+km) in a single day before... hahaha.

I drove up and down from old road, more scenic and can see the Lata Iskandar water fall, I am ok with the twist and turn, got use to it liao....Imo from SG cheong up straight to CH is definately far, I prefer relax and safety first, so I stayed overnight in relative house in KL :)

i am actually heading down this weekend. seems like driving makes most sense but i am just taking a coach up and see how i can travel around. any alternative other driving?

i am actually heading down this weekend. seems like driving makes most sense but i am just taking a coach up and see how i can travel around. any alternative other driving?

You can still see a number of places, but will be restricted to places and timings where transport will not pose a problem.
So all in all still an ok holiday, though that place is really suited to having your own set of wheels.

There are taxis in Tanah Rata that will be only too happy to take you around. They can be found opposite the row of shops besides an old building that used to be the Shell petrol station.

Another alternative is to join any of the tours once you get there.

ZerocoolAstra said:
Did you stop somewhere enroute? Or chiong all the way from Singapore to Brinchang?
I find Singapore to CH in one day too far for me, which is weird, coz I've done Sydney to Melbourne (900+km) in a single day before... hahaha.

I went all the way with 3 pitstops. Took me about 10+hrs

Last edited: