Cameras

reis97

Apr 13, 2010
Hi All,

I'm getting a gift for my dad but can't really decide which type to get. He used to play around with SLR (film type).

But right now i'm trying to find something which is easy for him to carry around and with functions like an SLR for him to explore.

He's not the type who will splurge on accessories, so i have to get a good one (i know there's no perfect camera) for him.

Any models to recommend?

Initially i was consider G11.

Thanks

Last edited:
Start by knowing the lens used for his previous camera set. Intent is to have a new camera body that can accept the lens, where possible.

Start by knowing the lens used for his previous camera set. Intent is to have a new camera body that can accept the lens, where possible.

Agreed :thumbsup:

Cameras can carry quite a lot of sentimental value and I'm sure he would enjoy taking photos using the same lens he used in the past.

Thanks ....

Nowadays he seldom use the old lens anymore ....:dunno:

so was thinking of getting DSLR for him but way too much out of my budget

Sony A230 from $699
Sony A330 from $899
Canon EOS1000D from $899

Canon G11 from $899

If you have the budget for G11, i think both models of Sony would be a good choice.

Thanks ....

Nowadays he seldom use the old lens anymore ....:dunno:

so was thinking of getting DSLR for him but way too much out of my budget

Could be because of the trouble of buying film and getting it processed. If you get the body only, the price of a low end dslr is comparable to a high end compact. Image quality will also be better :D

Hi Lonarciso,

Sorry, but i'm really quite bad with cameras....which will be the entry level?

And because having too many choices makes me difficult to decide on a model, not able to bring him to try out, as it's meant to be a surprise gift for him

Thanks to all your advice...appreciate your help :angel:

Yes that's right....cos everytime he takes pics with his SLR ...he would develop rolls and rolls of film. And it's very hard to store so many photos at home....running out of storage spaces for them all

Yes that's right....cos everytime he takes pics with his SLR ...he would develop rolls and rolls of film. And it's very hard to store so many photos at home....running out of storage spaces for them all

Most dslrs are backwards compatible in terms of mounting lens. What brand is he using currently? If he starts doing digital photography, you might soon need to buy an external hdd to store his photos too :bsmilie:

Hi Lonarciso,

Sorry, but i'm really quite bad with cameras....which will be the entry level?

And because having too many choices makes me difficult to decide on a model, not able to bring him to try out, as it's meant to be a surprise gift for him

Lower entry level(First hand):

Sony A230/330---$699/899
Canon 1000D---$899
Olympus E-420 or 450(forgot?)---I dunno the price???
Nikon D3000---$888

Lower entry level(Second hand):

Sony A100/200---$300 to $500
Canon 300D/350D/400D/450D/10D/20D/30D---$300-$6/700
Nikon D40/40x/50/60/70/70s---$400 to $700+
Pentax K10D/20D/100/200---$400+++++

Upper entry level:

Pentax K-x---$782
Canon 500D---$1299
Nikon D5000---$1299
Sony A500/550---$1299/1399
Olympus E-520---I also dunno the price???

We also can't decide for you:)