Camera's Operating Temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.

spilot

May 4, 2002
Jurong West Extension
Visit site
Hi All, & Greetings to Seniors,

I read in both Owner's Manuals of my Dynax 7 & 800si, that the cameras will and can be operated within these temperature ranges : -20C to 50C ( that's pretty much like in the Sahara under shade at 50C ).

Are these claims by the manuals, credible ? Or do I need a few pinches of salt ?

Your valued opinions, advice, much appreciated.

Regards,

CJ

Originally posted by spilot

I read in both Owner's Manuals of my Dynax 7 & 800si, that the cameras will and can be operated within these temperature ranges : -20C to 50C ( that's pretty much like in the Sahara under shade at 50C ).

Are these claims by the manuals, credible ? Or do I need a few pinches of salt ?

Some of these bodies can really be used in extreme conditions... I've used my F90x and F100 at temperatures as low as -25 degrees C up in Norway with no problems at all. My F5 is suppose to survive to even lower temperatures and I won't doubt that claim either!

Just need to make sure you use the AA Lithiums though, normal AA Alkalines are absolutely useless at these temperatures!

Hi,

Well, thanks. But I was wondering how would it stand up to Singapore's climate ( humidity & at 35C or more ? ).

Your advice much appreciated.

Regards,

CJ

Well, thanks. But I was wondering how would it stand up to Singapore's climate ( humidity & at 35C or more ? ).

I guess the only issue with S'pore's climate is moisture during storage. This is normally solved by storing your equipment in air-tight boxes or cabinets and have enough saches of silica gel to absorb the ever present moisture. Important issue to avoid fungal growth on the lens elements.

The other thing to watch out for is drastic changes in temperature... like coming out from an air-conditioned room/building straight into the burning sun outside! That can easily cause fogging or condensation on the elements (anyone who wears glasses will know what I'm on about).

Apart from that, I don't think it should be a problem.

Hi All, & Greetings to Seniors,

Your valued opinions, advice, much appreciated.

Regards,

CJ

In most cases the operating temperature range of a camera refers to the operating temperatures of the lubricants used inside the camera as well as problems associsted with the LCD displays which go wonky at high temperatures (around 60-70C in most cases).

With that said, -25C to plus +50C is about right for most modern cameras. However, I've seen a Dynax 7 used up on a mine site at temperatures exceeding 50C on a few occasions, so I can vouch first hand that the Minolta will work in fairly hot conditions, though I doubt if it will handle the +70-75C conditions I've put a few Nikons though over the years.

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the advise and feedback on Dynax 7's operating temperature ranges.

I queried its claimed temperature tolerances because lately, you know we've all been sweating buckets over a dry and hot spelll here in SG. So, I wodered would it perform under the current brutal sun lately.

Since it has been verified by you, though will not hold you accountable, I will give it a go under the sun for a few hours - though I doubt I can last longer than the Dynax 7 under this weather....

Well, I can't afford a Nikon setup, as all me lenses are Minolta mounts. I know and have no doubts about Nikon's ability to take on naturre and the weather. Less perhaps I start contemplating the Dynax 9.... hehehehe My wife will scream her head off on this one. ( ! )

Thanks

Regards,

CJ

Since it has been verified by you, though will not hold you accountable, I will give it a go under the sun for a few hours - though I doubt I can last longer than the Dynax 7 under this weather....

Well, I can't afford a Nikon setup, as all me lenses are Minolta mounts. I know and have no doubts about Nikon's ability to take on naturre and the weather. Less perhaps I start contemplating the Dynax 9.... hehehehe My wife will scream her head off on this one. ( ! )

The Dynax will be fine, just keep it in a bag when not using it outdoors so that displays on the camera etc aren't subjected to long periods of exposure to the sun.

One thing to be aware of however is that the temperature in a car boot for example can reach +30C over ambient in less than 10 minutes of exposure to the full sun.

Status
Not open for further replies.