Cameras more exp here in SG?

Status
Not open for further replies.

falanks

Feb 11, 2007
Hi everyone,

I have a noob question here. Why is it that camera prices are higher here than the prices in both the US n UK?

From my observation, fuji cam S6500fd is around SGD530, but in the states, it is going for USD250 to USD300. Is it due to some sort of taxes here in SG? Or shops here have higher profit margins?

Furthermore, they have a 30-days return policy there. But not here.

Looking forward to your answers n comments here.

Cheers,
falanks

I find UK prices to be more expensive. 17% VAT can possibly yield good prices. As for the US, well, everythings cheaper there.

EDIT: I don't literally mean everything.

Hi everyone,

I have a noob question here. Why is it that camera prices are higher here than the prices in both the US n UK?

From my observation, fuji cam S6500fd is around SGD530, but in the states, it is going for USD250 to USD300. Is it due to some sort of taxes here in SG? Or shops here have higher profit margins?

Furthermore, they have a 30-days return policy there. But not here.

Looking forward to your answers n comments here.

Cheers,
falanks

US depends on where you buy. if you buy online and the item ships out of state to you, you dont have to pay tax, so its "cheaper".

but if you buy straight from the shop they will collect taxes for their states which varies depending which state the shop is collecting for. and the price is much closer to the local price tag.

apart from cameras there are many things that are a lot cheaper in the states, especially branded apparels. at the outlets, levi's jeans go for an average of 22 to 25 usd per pair, gap jeans for under 20 usd for most cutting, coach handbags for an average of 30-35% savings etc..

many other things more expensive than SG as well, food, groceries, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.