Camera Workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sharing my experience today.

As i have been looking for a Leica M6 for some time on CS to no sucess, i decided to source the standard various penin-adelph shops to see if there is any being price somewhere around what i would expect from CS, knowing that shops normally charge more.

I was actually looking for around 1.6/7 k.

I was looking for a normal M6, not TTL one. Penin's PNG had one, black colour x0.85, really nice condition. going for 1.8k. Fair enough. The only other place which had one was the camera workshop, on the shelve behind the counter.

Stepped in to ask for the price. Note that i was genuinely asking for the price and would consider buying it if it met my price. The guy whom i approached didnt know what a M6 was. asking me if it was a digital camera. Nvm. I pointed to it straight away since it seemed like the only one they had. He asked the lady at the counter for the price as he didnt know the price.

The lady looked at me, glance over to her fellow staff infront of her, paused awhile, and said 2790 in hokkien to the uncle whom i approached, which was translated to english to me from him.
2790 for an only average condition black non-TTL 2ndhand m6. And it was pretty obvious i was given that price probly because :

1) I looked young, and probly to them, clueless about what a Leica m6 is so just whack me a price.
2) I'm probly GENERALLY too young to be serious to get one so just name me this price to get me out of their shop.

Enough said, i found it really insulting. Correct me if that Is NOT the usual price for an obviously 2nd hand, average condition with a few scratches, non TTL , normal black m6.

The purpose of this thread is, to let my community here know , to BEWARE, caveat emptor, about such shops and the people working in it.
ESPECIALLY, to people around my age. Cause they might just bite your head off, thinking you're just some dumb-f.

cheers!

yes, always, always know the price first.

and if they give you ridiculous price, nothing you can do about it. just vote with your wallet. if they keep doing it, they suffer themselves in the long run.

erm... at least, they did not think you were 'NIKONF5PRO" :devil:

you knew what you were looking for....so continue to search for one with a reasonable price tag :)

Can't help it. Guys our age who want to buy a Leica normally have the wallets to accomodate outrageous shop prices, or those with a lower budget will prioritize their DSLRs before any film cam.

Have you gotten to RFF yet? It's a great place there and i find the classified's prices even cheaper than Singapore's B&S section. Bessa's here are cheaper, cause Chiif is here to spoil us with the lowest brand-new Bessa prices worldwide :bsmilie: But Leicas there seem cheaper, at least to me.

Sharing my experience today.

As i have been looking for a Leica M6 for some time on CS to no sucess, i decided to source the standard various penin-adelph shops to see if there is any being price somewhere around what i would expect from CS, knowing that shops normally charge more.

I was actually looking for around 1.6/7 k.

I was looking for a normal M6, not TTL one. Penin's PNG had one, black colour x0.85, really nice condition. going for 1.8k. Fair enough. The only other place which had one was the camera workshop, on the shelve behind the counter.

Stepped in to ask for the price. Note that i was genuinely asking for the price and would consider buying it if it met my price. The guy whom i approached didnt know what a M6 was. asking me if it was a digital camera. Nvm. I pointed to it straight away since it seemed like the only one they had. He asked the lady at the counter for the price as he didnt know the price.

The lady looked at me, glance over to her fellow staff infront of her, paused awhile, and said 2790 in hokkien to the uncle whom i approached, which was translated to english to me from him.
2790 for an only average condition black non-TTL 2ndhand m6. And it was pretty obvious i was given that price probly because :

1) I looked young, and probly to them, clueless about what a Leica m6 is so just whack me a price.
2) I'm probly GENERALLY too young to be serious to get one so just name me this price to get me out of their shop.

Enough said, i found it really insulting. Correct me if that Is NOT the usual price for an obviously 2nd hand, average condition with a few scratches, non TTL , normal black m6.

The purpose of this thread is, to let my community here know , to BEWARE, caveat emptor, about such shops and the people working in it.
ESPECIALLY, to people around my age. Cause they might just bite your head off, thinking you're just some dumb-f.

cheers!

I'm curious, when you were given that price, what was your response?

i think we can't help it since it's really quite unbelievable for our age to get a leica (just an opinion). there're too many shop owners out there trying to hack our radish. i have a bad experience trying to ask for camera prices in such shops too.

still, i support you to get your leica soon enough! c:

By the way bro, there's a black M6 WITH TTL going at 1200USD shipping covered at RFF right now. :bsmilie:

If you've been there, i believe you would have gotten your Leica already. Several past ads show sold M6's going at 1150-1250 prices, with ttl.

I'm curious, when you were given that price, what was your response?

I just said no thanks, and walked off with my girlfriend. I said 'Rip off' to my gf in the shop but i couldnt be bothered if they heard anyway , no intention to let them hear on purpose.

Just be professional and walk off, i could choose not to buy what. :)

By the way bro, there's a black M6 WITH TTL going at 1200USD shipping covered at RFF right now. :bsmilie:

If you've been there, i believe you would have gotten your Leica already. Several past ads show sold M6's going at 1150-1250 prices, with ttl.

eh that reminds me! i havent been there for long! i cant register an account there anyway i've got no idea why. msg mod also no reply, so i didnt bother to go back. But i'll check. thanks!

I just said no thanks, and walked off with my girlfriend. I said 'Rip off' to my gf in the shop but i couldnt be bothered if they heard anyway , no intention to let them hear on purpose.

Just be professional and walk off, i could choose not to buy what. :)

That's usually my response as well, unless I do want the item, then I'll just very neutrally state that the market prices are such and such and ask why they are quoting me an astronomical price.

eh that reminds me! i havent been there for long! i cant register an account there anyway i've got no idea why. msg mod also no reply, so i didnt bother to go back. But i'll check. thanks!

You need a gmail :sweatsm:
Hotmail & Yahoo doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.