camera without drybox?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smirnon

Dec 16, 2007
Upp Thomson
hi all, may i know the maximum recommended time that one should leave their camera out in the open without a drybox? :dunno:

i guess there is no maximum time... your camera(s) would just be at risk of fungus growing in it.:)

well if u keep using it regularly and don't leave the camera in a dark and damp place, the camera should be relatively safe from fungus.....

hi all, may i know the maximum recommended time that one should leave their camera out in the open without a drybox? :dunno:

Please define "open". Your place? Aircon Room? Table in Kopitiam? Pasir Ris Beach? ;) The maximum time for the cam to get stolen could be shorter than the time till fungus grows ;)
Seriously, it depends on a lot of factors, there is no limit given by anybody. Sunlight and fresh air will slow down fungus growth. Darkness, humidity and air standing still will help the fungus. So just compare with what you mean by "in the open". But in the long run a drybox or dry cabinet is the better way in Singapore climate.

The people at Nikon told me that anything more than 3 days, there will be the possibility of fungus growing.

Before i got my dry cabinet, i used to put all my equipment and ex-lenses in my camera bag for over a year and fortunately no fungus at all. But don't follow me.

Before i got my dry cabinet, i used to put all my equipment and ex-lenses in my camera bag for over a year and fortunately no fungus at all. But don't follow me.

haha! wow thats long.. i'm going on board a ship for 2 months with my camera and lenses so im wondering if its ok to do so without a dry box.. hmm..

haha! wow thats long.. i'm going on board a ship for 2 months with my camera and lenses so im wondering if its ok to do so without a dry box.. hmm..

U should as sea water is highly corrosive. U should also clean your DSLR and lenses externally everyday.

U should as sea water is highly corrosive. U should also clean your DSLR and lenses externally everyday.

i'll be in a ship, like cruise that kind? wun be affected by seawater right? :think:

i'll be in a ship, like cruise that kind? wun be affected by seawater right? :think:

Nope it shouldn't. If you are gonna be using it regularly, you have no need to be afraid of fungus growth; leaving it inactive in a dark and damp place, however, will encourage fungus growth.

Just use your camera and if possible every lens, every day, any time u wanna shoot! And expose more to sunlight! :D

Drybox is meant for long-term inactive storage, not for people to put in the gears everyday after shooting, right?

Just use your camera and if possible every lens, every day, any time u wanna shoot! And expose more to sunlight! :D

Drybox is meant for long-term inactive storage, not for people to put in the gears everyday after shooting, right?

thanks! that being said, whats a good humidity level to put the gears in? recently found out that the foam for my b+w filter started disintegrating after leaving it in the drycab of about 30% for 2 months o_O probably was too dry

put it at a range between 45-55% should be alright for the lens and camera

thanks! that being said, whats a good humidity level to put the gears in? recently found out that the foam for my b+w filter started disintegrating after leaving it in the drycab of about 30% for 2 months o_O probably was too dry

Wow..If you intend to do tat for a long term u will be seeing all the rubbers turning crispy...

Status
Not open for further replies.