Camera with manual controls for 1st timer

Status
Not open for further replies.

bent

Dec 23, 2004
Hi all,

Thinking of getting a camera with manual functions (ie can adjust aperture and shutter (to on my own) that is compact sized. Preferably with zoom higher than 3x optical

Currently thinking of getting the Olympus C7000 Zoom
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/olympus/c7000z-review/index.shtml

what are your opinions on this?

the only down side i don't really like about this is teh pop up flash and the fact Olyumpus uses XD cards..

please advise and perhaps recommend other mdoels.

Thanks..

bent said:
Hi all,

Thinking of getting a camera with manual functions (ie can adjust aperture and shutter (to on my own) that is compact sized. Preferably with zoom higher than 3x optical

Currently thinking of getting the Olympus C7000 Zoom
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/olympus/c7000z-review/index.shtml

what are your opinions on this?

the only down side i don't really like about this is teh pop up flash and the fact Olyumpus uses XD cards..

please advise and perhaps recommend other mdoels.

Thanks..

Hi,

The first manual compact camera that got me really hooked messing around with the controls is the Sony DSC-W1. Its a solid performer, but no longer sold. The updated model is the DSC-W5 (5 mp) or the DSC-W7 (7 mp). You can manually set the apeture AND the shutter speed, and a hell others more when you think you can handle it :)

I have since moved on to other cameras with even more controls, but this little baby holds a special place in my heart for its solid design, appearance and picture quality.

Hi.

You may to consider Canon A610/A620. They come with manual features, uses SD cards and the best part is it has a swivel LCD screen which allows one to take pictures from weird angles! ;)

my budget is below 800 bucks if possible...

is the panasonic fz 5 good for a beginner? seems the rage now...plus its quite cheap..

Yes. FZ5 is a very good cam to start learning...:thumbsup:

michhy said:
Hi,

The first manual compact camera that got me really hooked messing around with the controls is the Sony DSC-W1. Its a solid performer, but no longer sold. The updated model is the DSC-W5 (5 mp) or the DSC-W7 (7 mp). You can manually set the apeture AND the shutter speed, and a hell others more when you think you can handle it :)

I have since moved on to other cameras with even more controls, but this little baby holds a special place in my heart for its solid design, appearance and picture quality.

Sony digicams have excellent designs and are well-built. I own a P-100 and was very happy with its performance.

However, Sony digicams in this range offer only two choices of aperature for each focal length - either wide or narrow. I believe Canon and other brands have more possible settings. There are a lot more "steps" for shutter speed though.

I must warn you though that shooting in manual mode in these compact cameras can be very fiddly and it really slows you down alot. The setting are all buried deep within the menus and its quite inconvenient to change them or even verify that they're correct, since they don't have an info screen that shows you all the current setting (at least for the P100).

bent said:
my budget is below 800 bucks if possible...

is the panasonic fz 5 good for a beginner? seems the rage now...plus its quite cheap..

No good. They dont have enough direct buttons on the camera to access all functions easily, you will be forced to go thru the menu and all to change many settings.

Also, if you read reviews, you will notice that it produces noisy images at low light conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.