camera with > 3x zoom & slim ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwloo

Jan 21, 2002
Visit site
Hi, my friend ask me to source for a camera that are slim that can fit in the pocket and have more than 3x zoom .. any idea which brand hv one ?

anything greater than 3mp will do ...

Canon Ixus 400 or Sony T1 or the Casio Exilm.

jaskin said:
Canon Ixus 400 or Sony T1 or the Casio Exilm.

ya, I notice the Ixus 400 also , but it's kind of old now ...
yup, T1 sound good... need to check the price ...
Casio Exilm ... don't really like it

How big are your friend's pockets? Financially and physically....

Financially, you can get quite a few digicams with 3x or more, with varying price range of $400 - $1000. Physically, are they jeans pockets, or cargo pants pockets, makes quite alot of diff in the size of camera, such as Exlim vs Canon S50.

Also, I wont say the IXUS 400 is 'old', as they are launching the IXUS 430 soon, which is basically the same camera, just that the new 430 has Pictbridge support or something like that.

mr_jason said:
How big are your friend's pockets? Financially and physically....

Financially, you can get quite a few digicams with 3x or more, with varying price range of $400 - $1000. Physically, are they jeans pockets, or cargo pants pockets, makes quite alot of diff in the size of camera, such as Exlim vs Canon S50.

Also, I wont say the IXUS 400 is 'old', as they are launching the IXUS 430 soon, which is basically the same camera, just that the new 430 has Pictbridge support or something like that.

Ya, what I mean 'old' is the model is around for more than a year already. Canon most likely will come out with a updated version .. eg. Ixus 430 (I didn't get this news .. ;p )

I think his budget is less than $800 , cargo pants ...

Personally, I'll take an IXUS400. The image quality Casio's Exilim range of cameras doesn't quite impress me; T1 uses the (more) expensive Memory Stick as compared to Compact Flash.

Canon PowerShot A80!!! :thumbsup:

gd newbie digicam...more functions n value-adds more to learning photography wif itz manual ability... :thumbsup:

since ur fren is saying about Cargo Pants' pockets...confirm can fit... :thumbsup:

jus my 2 cents worth... ;)
cwloo said:
Ya, what I mean 'old' is the model is around for more than a year already. Canon most likely will come out with a updated version .. eg. Ixus 430 (I didn't get this news .. ;p )

cwloo said:

Well, as I said before, the IXUS 430's optical quality will be similar to the IXUS 400, as they use the same CCD and Digic processor. It's basically the same camera all round.

For under $800, you should be able to up the IXUS 430 when it is launched. Recommended Retail Price as listed on CNET is S$699, which means it should retail for at least $50 less in shops. With an $800 budget, you could also get a 128mb (though I'd recommend 256mb) and a spare 3rd party battery.

Also for consideration can be the A80, or yet to be released A75, which will cost way under $800 also.

yup .. he need to take photo for the ceiling defect ..

The Fujifilm F710 look good also b'cos of the 3.7X , but I personally prefer the Ixus 430 , maybe higher MP so he can use the digital zooms .. 3~6 meters range to reach the ceiling.

A75 is a little too big to *hide* in his pocket sometimes cause he need to access some security sensitive area .. not ilegal, it just that management do not like them to bring in camera.

mr_jason said:
Well, as I said before, the IXUS 430's optical quality will be similar to the IXUS 400, as they use the same CCD and Digic processor. It's basically the same camera all round.

For under $800, you should be able to up the IXUS 430 when it is launched. Recommended Retail Price as listed on CNET is S$699, which means it should retail for at least $50 less in shops. With an $800 budget, you could also get a 128mb (though I'd recommend 256mb) and a spare 3rd party battery.

Also for consideration can be the A80, or yet to be released A75, which will cost way under $800 also.

mpenza said:
Nikon Coolpix 3700 is quite a good buy now, probably less than $520 for the camera alone.
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/CP3700/CP37A.HTM

The original rechargeable battery is cheap too ~$35 if you want a backup.

I just bought the Coolpix 3700. Small size and high LCD definition. Good for beginners who doesn't require much manual settings.

Mpenza: where can you get the original battery for $35? The sales ppl told me that it costs $70+ for original, so i dint buy it :(

By the way, anyone here can advise me on Fujifilm 420? Seems like it is quite good, recording at 3.2MP but output as 6MP.

sumball said:
By the way, anyone here can advise me on Fujifilm 420? Seems like it is quite good, recording at 3.2MP but output as 6MP.

I think the 6MP is interpolated, not true 6MP. Anyone concur?

crrabb said:
I just bought the Coolpix 3700. Small size and high LCD definition. Good for beginners who doesn't require much manual settings.

Mpenza: where can you get the original battery for $35? The sales ppl told me that it costs $70+ for original, so i dint buy it :(

Hi, im thinking of getting nikon 3700. but heard from my friend that taking photos in the night with this camera is quite problematic. is this true?

cwloo said:
Hi, my friend ask me to source for a camera that are slim that can fit in the pocket and have more than 3x zoom .. any idea which brand hv one ?

anything greater than 3mp will do ...
Hi there, I am a user for Sony T1. I would suggest you to buy casio xslim4.
This camera is lighter than sony and also the flash is better. :vhappy:

bianzi said:
Hi there, I am a user for Sony T1. I would suggest you to buy casio xslim4.
This camera is lighter than sony and also the flash is better. :vhappy:

I find the T1 very cool. How is the image quality? I would expect Sony cams to make rather good pictures. Casio Z4 quality is really inferior when I compare it to the Canon Ixus 400.

Tell me more about the T1. I actually recommended it to an overseas friend...

asphyx said:
Hi, im thinking of getting nikon 3700. but heard from my friend that taking photos in the night with this camera is quite problematic. is this true?

Hvn't really taken a lot of night shots. But from the few taken with free hand, the pictures come out rather blur. Think will need some kind of support e.g tripod, stable surface.

Maybe I hvn't learn to make full use of the camera settings and scene modes to take better night photos. Will be experimenting more..

Btw, does anyone have lobang for 2nd hand tripod? Looking for one that can support both the coolpix 3700 and my Nikon N60 SLR (so cannot be too flimsy), has detachable clips. Preferable have some weight, BUT not too heavy also. AND under $15 :)

Nikon Coolpix 3700! Read many reviews it was gd, nite shot it has AF assist shld be better

how come nobody mention Minolta's Xt or Xg?? izzit not good enough or wat? :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.