Camera tripod and ballhead.

cikguyan

Sep 15, 2007
Yong Peng, Johore, Malaysia
Dear Moderators and friends,
I would like to buy a set of lightweight tripod and ball head for traveling. My gears are Nikon D300s, Nikon 17-55 mm f/2.8, Nikon 18-200 mm VR and Tokina 11-16 mm f/2.8. At the moment, I have Manfrotto 190 X Pro Aluminium and Manfrotto 804 RC2. Should I buy : Manfrotto 190cx pro4 and manfrotto 498 RC2 (Total mass= 1.9 kg), or Sirui N1204 and G20 ball head ( Total mass= 1.32 kg), or Jusino AX-254 C and Photo Clam PC-33NS ball head ( Total mass= 1.34 kg ) ? Please kindly give me some advice.
I wish to get a reliable set. Thank you.

think i rather go for the sirui n1204... since u already have a manfrotto set up, why dont get the sirui and another manfrotto head....

my 2 cents...

Reading through the spec of the tripods, all of the tripods you mentioned could support your camera gear. So it is and as always, up to your own preference. I personally uses a Sirui and find their quality pretty alright.

Reading through the spec of the tripods, all of the tripods you mentioned could support your camera gear. So it is and as always, up to your own preference. I personally uses a Sirui and find their quality pretty alright.

^^ what he said.

I find sirui quite good for travel. It's especially convenient as it fits inside my small suitcase that I check in. Leaves more weight capacity for my carry-on luggage.

Getting the manfrotto head will make it easier to shift between heads with the same quick release plate. On the other hand, sirui head uses the much more universal arca type plate.

^^ what he said.

I find sirui quite good for travel. It's especially convenient as it fits inside my small suitcase that I check in. Leaves more weight capacity for my carry-on luggage.

Getting the manfrotto head will make it easier to shift between heads with the same quick release plate. On the other hand, sirui head uses the much more universal arca type plate.

Thank you. If I buy Sirui N1204, please suggest the ball head I should get.

Thank you. If I buy Sirui N1204, please suggest the ball head I should get.

I would suggest that you calculate the load of your camera + lens + miscellaneous accessories such as external flash. Then see if whichever ballhead would withstand this weight. Please also remember that the given maximum load in the spec sheet normally only means that the weigh or force is being loaded vertically down. You have to take into consideration of your camera in weird angle.

For me, normally I would divide the maximum load the ballhead by a factor of 3 (don't ask me why, I just do). And that would give me a very good representation of whether the ballhead could withstand my equipment load in strange angle.

If you want to stick to Manfrotto plates, then the only Ballhead that will fit the sirui 1204 and still enable reverse fold, will be the 484 head. The new 494 comes with a friction knob which is better but the location of the friction knob will hinder the reverse fold partially, but will still fit the tripod bag

As for me I am using the t1004x with photo clam pc-36ns for travel.

Dear Moderators and friends,
I would like to buy a set of lightweight tripod and ball head for traveling. My gears are Nikon D300s, Nikon 17-55 mm f/2.8, Nikon 18-200 mm VR and Tokina 11-16 mm f/2.8. At the moment, I have Manfrotto 190 X Pro Aluminium and Manfrotto 804 RC2. Should I buy : Manfrotto 190cx pro4 and manfrotto 498 RC2 (Total mass= 1.9 kg), or Sirui N1204 and G20 ball head ( Total mass= 1.32 kg), or Jusino AX-254 C and Photo Clam PC-33NS ball head ( Total mass= 1.34 kg ) ? Please kindly give me some advice.
I wish to get a reliable set. Thank you.

Dear TS (cikguyan),
your choice of tripod legs will be affected by:
1) max height when deployed (comfortable for your regular use)
2) length when folded
3) weight
4) other features like horizontal center column (which Manfrotto X-pro tripods have)
5) price
6) did I miss anything?

for heads,
1) type of clamp (proprietry to brand, eg. Manfrotto or arca-swiss type)
2) type of head (pan/tilt or ball)
3) load rating
4) smoothness of operation of the knobs or levers, etc

If you want to stick to Manfrotto plates, then the only Ballhead that will fit the sirui 1204 and still enable reverse fold, will be the 484 head. The new 494 comes with a friction knob which is better but the location of the friction knob will hinder the reverse fold partially, but will still fit the tripod bag

^^ I forgot all about the reverse folding problem!

fmeeran said:
^^ I forgot all about the reverse folding problem!

The 484 will let you fold with no problems.

I went through it all because I was formerly on rc2 plates. For local use I had a 190xprob with 488rc2. I got the 494 first fir the T1004x, but found out the issue with reverse fold. Switched to 484. And later I switched to Acra Swiss style clamps completely when I got rid of my 190xprob and all my Manfrotto heads.

Now I don't even reverse fold anymore. But will do it once in a while when required.

Last edited:
Dear TS (cikguyan),
your choice of tripod legs will be affected by:
1) max height when deployed (comfortable for your regular use)
2) length when folded
3) weight
4) other features like horizontal center column (which Manfrotto X-pro tripods have)
5) price
6) did I miss anything?

for heads,
1) type of clamp (proprietry to brand, eg. Manfrotto or arca-swiss type)
2) type of head (pan/tilt or ball)
3) load rating
4) smoothness of operation of the knobs or levers, etc

Thank you very much. If I want to buy Sirui N1204 tripod, please kindly help me to choose a ball head which you think is versatile and not too expensive. At the moment, my choices are Sirui G20, Sirui 10X, Sirui 20X, Manfrotto 484 ,Manfrotto 498 RC 2.

cikguyan said:
Thank you very much. If I want to buy Sirui N1204 tripod, please kindly help me to choose a ball head which you think is versatile and not too expensive. At the moment, my choices are Sirui G20, Sirui 10X, Sirui 20X, Manfrotto 484 ,Manfrotto 498 RC 2.

I recommend the sirui k20x for a strong value for money ball head.

daredevil123 said:
I recommend the sirui k20x for a strong value for money ball head.

Ya I think the K-ballheads have a better tensioning control knob, like the MARKINS ballheads ~hint hint~ ;)

yes. you can use any head on any tripod (usually). the tripods all come with 1/4" and 3/16" threads.

Most tripods come with head mounts 1/4" or 3/8" threads.
You can use heads with different threads on any tripod as is, or add either an adapter or a bushing

Last edited:
cikguyan said:
Thanks for sharing with me. I really appreciate all of you.

Why not just get Sirui tripod with G20 or K series head? The head doesn't cost much and comes with the tripod. No need to worry this and that. And definitely it will hold your cam v well.

The best is go down to shop with yr cam setup and test it yourself.