Camera trick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olin

Nov 26, 2004
I am very new to photography and picking it up because I find it very interested.

Have seem a few street photos where the head light of cars are like a string of line. others are a photo of a wall, where a person is walking infront of the wall. But the person is blur in image.

I suspect it is using control of a shuttle speed and believe I need more then that. Real newbie here :embrass: and hope the rest have some patient with me :sweatsm:

u are correct,it is the combination of a big f-stop and a slow shutter speed for those car headlight and the blurred walking person.

try to get ard 5 to 30sec or more for more dramatic headlights effect for the car by selecting the biggest f-stop number on the aperture or the one b4 it for better sharpness and adjust accordingly to the exposure reading,slow ISO film/rating will give u slower speed if it is not enuff..

tks for the fast reply! ;)

Can a Canon PowerShot G5 reach that speed? Or I need a SLR to do that?

Well. Yes you're right. It's the shutter speed which matters in this case, and also the movement of the camera.

Shutter speed controls the length of time the film or sensor is exposed to light. Any subject movement during that time will record on the film, especially if the subject is bright, like a car's headlights. So let's say you have a shutter speed of half a second, and the car moves during that period, the light streak you see on the picture will be equivalent to the movement of the car during that half second.

Same for the person on the wall pic.

But let's say, in the case of the person against the wall, you pan the camera in the direction the person is walking, so the person remains in the same part of the frame during the exposure. Now, the person would be sharper, but the background would be rendered as streaks as the background moves in relation to the camera angle while the person stays in the same place.

Hope this helps =X
Cheers
QX

Olin said:
tks for the fast reply! ;)

Can a Canon PowerShot G5 reach that speed? Or I need a SLR to do that?

yes the G5 can do it,just set it up on a tripod and select aperture mode on the dial and choose F8 and see wad shutter speed u get,if it is not slow enuff,select the lowest ISO rating,u can trip the shutter by setting it on self timer for 2 sec for maximum stability..

Try it,it's fun! :bsmilie:

Tks Timber Wolf and Kex !! :thumbsup:

Sound fun! will try it out.

Only went thru a short course under Chris Yap. Hope to learn more from here. Will approach you guys again if I got problem :p

Status
Not open for further replies.