Camera to PC Transferring with an aged Nikon D100

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

vince123123

Hi,

I have been looking for some time, a method to quickly transfer photos that I take using my aged Nikon D100 to a computer. I mainly use the D100 for studio work and it is good to be able to show the photos quickly.

The following were explored and failed:

1. Take out the card and transfer once each batch of shoots is done - slow and have to wait.

2. Tether the D100 to the computer - slow, because the D100 only has USB1.0.

With the launch of the D300s, I noticed in Rob's site a mention of this new Wifi SD Card:

http://www.eye.fi/

Seems like this may be the solution to my problem; a built in wifi transfer mechanism in an SD card.

Now, the D100 only uses a CF card slot, hence I will need some form of converter from CF to SDHC. Doing some research ended up with:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jobo-SD-to-CF-Adapter/dp/B000KZB06I

Would this combo work as a solution for my purpose?

Thanks!

My only thought is would the adapter itself somehow restrict the transmission or slowdown the transfer rate?

Hmm yup that may be possible, but in studio that doesn't really matter much cos I don't really burst compared to events and the like. If that's the only issue, I think it can be lived with; given that otherwise I have no solution to an existing problem.

I was however curious how this eyefi thing works; does it just keep pumping files into the computer like as if it was tethered or something? In that case, doesn't that make the WIFI adapter Nikon sells useless (considering its more expensive and bulky).

Sorry man, I'm not Nikon based so you'll have to look up or wait for Nikon users to chime in.

On the canon system, yeah, it pretty much keeps on pumping as you shoot. I've seen the 5d2 transmission in action and the files look like they continually upload as the tog shoots.

Hmm, but it will render the same Canon system redundant won't it? I'm assuming the canon system also uses an addon grip or the like to do this WIFI thing. With this SD card, won't it be no longer needed?

Sorry man, I'm not Nikon based so you'll have to look up or wait for Nikon users to chime in.

On the canon system, yeah, it pretty much keeps on pumping as you shoot. I've seen the 5d2 transmission in action and the files look like they continually upload as the tog shoots.

Status
Not open for further replies.