Camera Strap / sling for 70 - 200 f2.8

blueblood

Oct 21, 2012
West
Thinking of buying the 70 - 200 f2.8. It is big and heavy. It weighs about 1.5kg. Together with the camera, they weigh more than 2kg. I am not complaining about the weight. I use hand strap with the 24 - 70 f2.8 and it doesn't pose problem.

However, for 70 - 200 f2.8, seems like the Black Rapid type (and other brands)is the only choice, as the fastener screw of the lens collar is on the undernealth.

I used to own the Black Rapid but sold it after using once. Reason being :
1. I don't like the camera to hanging upside down
2. The screw fastener came off the camera base due to up and down movement unexpectedly. But was luckily that one of my hand was holding it firmly.

Trying to google aroung for alternative that lug the camera in an upwards position, and with one arm through the sling.

Any bros have experience with other straps / sling.

erm, lens pointing upwards? Not sure if you meant lens pointing downwards.

SlingStrap_user_rear_1a.jpg

If so, can consider the Camdapter: http://www.camdapter.com/shoulderstrap/slingstrappro.html

Been using it for a while now with my 70-200 setup. My hands can grip the handle just fine when it's in resting position.

The only thing to take extra care is when going into kneeling position on a 2 cam setup while the 70-200 mounted cam is in the resting position. The 70-200 is pretty long vertically wise and will potentially smash against the floor if not careful.

erm, lens pointing upwards? Not sure if you meant lens pointing downwards.

If so, can consider the Camdapter: http://www.camdapter.com/shoulderstrap/slingstrappro.html

Been using it for a while now with my 70-200 setup. My hands can grip the handle just fine when it's in resting position.

The only thing to take extra care is when going into kneeling position on a 2 cam setup while the 70-200 mounted cam is in the resting position. The 70-200 is pretty long vertically wise and will potentially smash against the floor if not careful.

Oh what I mean is I don't like the camera to be hung upside down, like the Black Rapid, with the base plate attached on the underneath of the camera, which lug to the sling.

The Camdapter is interesting. Can share where did you get this? How much did you buy it? It is sling across the arm, with a hand strap to hold the camera. Does it get into the way if mount on a tripod?

Oh what I mean is I don't like the camera to be hung upside down, like the Black Rapid, with the base plate attached on the underneath of the camera, which lug to the sling.

The Camdapter is interesting. Can share where did you get this? How much did you buy it? It is sling across the arm, with a hand strap to hold the camera. Does it get into the way if mount on a tripod?

I can't recall how much I've paid for it. But it should be in the region of 130-140 sgd (inclusive shipping) for the Sling Strap Pro. I bought it from their website (www.camdapter.com). The sling strap pro is the one that comes with the handstrap + the plate that can be mounted straight to the tripod (arca mount). The Sling Strap (non pro version) does not have the strap and the plate is a normal plate without the ability to mount on the tripod.

Yes, you can sling across the arm (as in left shoulder, camera around the right hips) and still have your right hand in the handstrap attached and anytime pull up the camera and attached on the tripod. pretty much hassle free for me.

a few more shots I've attached in another thread on the attachments and plate.
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1121367&p=8713654&viewfull=1#post8713654

Camdapter sling strap is now available locally actually. Check with sgcamerastore.

A couple of months back, IIRC, they only sell the non-pro version almost at the Camdapter pro price (inc shipping). May want to check if things have changed..

Checked their website, they sold the Camdapter SlingPro Strap at S$135.

http://www.sgcamerastore.com/straps/the-camdapter-slingpro-strap/prod_1205.html

Other design that TS can looked at is the Peak design leash and cuff,

http://www.tkfoto.com.sg/index.php?...peak-design-leash-a-cuff&catid=127&Itemid=273

http://www.tkfoto.com.sg/index.php?...37:peak-design-pricelist&catid=115&Itemid=290
(The cuff was S$13 for 4 and the leash is S$45 which added up to only S$58)

Last edited:
I went to sgcam after seeing this exact link. But only to be disappointed with the non-pro version when I reached there. I sure hope things have changed over the months.

Hmm... actually what is the different? How to you differentiate the pro and the non-pro version. I am thinking of getting something like that too... and price is not exactly cheap for a camera strap. Or should I just get the Peak Design thingy which I find pretty interesting.

Hmm... actually what is the different? How to you differentiate the pro and the non-pro version. I am thinking of getting something like that too... and price is not exactly cheap for a camera strap. Or should I just get the Peak Design thingy which I find pretty interesting.

The pro version comes with a top-grain leather handstrap as well as a quick release plate. Non pro version is just the strap itself.

I personally love the Camdapter strap after trying other solutions like Op/tech utility, Blackrapid and other shoulder straps. I have 2 sets of the strap (one as a backup). My first and current one in use have been with more more than 2.5 years now and have been with me all over the world. And still as tough as ever.

You can see more at their website.
http://www.camdapter.com/shoulderstrap.html
https://www.facebook.com/Camdapter

Last edited:
I went to sgcam after seeing this exact link. But only to be disappointed with the non-pro version when I reached there. I sure hope things have changed over the months.

oooo. that is interesting. The non-pro version only sells for like $50 USD at camdapter's site. And shipping rates charged by Camdapter is so cheap anyways.

Anyway, all this talk makes me wanna go check out Camdapter site again. It has been a while since I corresponded with Jim the founder/owner. Maybe I will pick up one of his new cool looking custom handstraps.

Last edited:

Apart from what DD have mentioned, I should add that apart from the hand strap difference. The main thing that I looked out for is the plate for attaching the strap.

Non-Pro version: The plate cannot mount on tripod straight, you will have to attached a tripod plate.
Pro version: The plate can mount on tripod (arca swiss design). I think have Manfrotto version, no harm confirming with Camdapter if you need it.

Months ago, when I went to the shop at sgcam, initially I thought that it was really like what they say about the Sling Strap 'Pro' is just the normal Sling Strap 'Non-Pro' strap + handstrap. But on further inspection, I realized that the plate is NOT the same as used in the 'Pro'.

oooo. that is interesting. The non-pro version only sells for like $50 USD at camdapter's site. And shipping rates charged by Camdapter is so cheap anyways.

Anyway, all this talk makes me wanna go check out Camdapter site again. It has been a while since I corresponded with Jim the founder/owner. Maybe I will pick up one of his new cool looking custom handstraps.

I just got my 2nd shoulder strap one, because I lost my previous one in one of the shoot when I was packing up.. The handstrap is now my most frequently used strap as compared to the shoulder strap. And it's really comfortable.

Last edited:
Apart from what DD have mentioned, I should add that apart from the hand strap difference. The main thing that I looked out for is the plate for attaching the strap.

Non-Pro version: The plate cannot mount on tripod straight, you will have to attached a tripod plate.
Pro version: The plate can mount on tripod (arca swiss design). I think have Manfrotto version, no harm confirming with Camdapter if you need it.

Months ago, when I went to the shop at sgcam, initially I thought that it was really like what they say about the Sling Strap 'Pro' is just the normal Sling Strap 'Non-Pro' strap + handstrap. But on further inspection, I realized that the plate is NOT the same as used in the 'Pro'.

I just got my 2nd shoulder strap one, because I lost my previous one in one of the shoot when I was packing up.. The handstrap is now my most frequently used strap as compared to the shoulder strap. And it's really comfortable.

The pro version comes with a top-grain leather handstrap as well as a quick release plate. Non pro version is just the strap itself.

I personally love the Camdapter strap after trying other solutions like Op/tech utility, Blackrapid and other shoulder straps. I have 2 sets of the strap (one as a backup). My first and current one in use have been with more more than 2.5 years now and have been with me all over the world. And still as tough as ever.

You can see more at their website.
http://www.camdapter.com/shoulderstrap.html
https://www.facebook.com/Camdapter

Hmm...

Thanks guys. I will check up the camdapter, looked very very interesting... I am kind of sick of my old Optech (don't get me wrong, it is a good strap, I just wanted something that I can sling over my shoulder) and I don't like the blackrapid either.

Hmm...

Thanks guys. I will check up the camdapter, looked very very interesting... I am kind of sick of my old Optech (don't get me wrong, it is a good strap, I just wanted something that I can sling over my shoulder) and I don't like the blackrapid either.

Oh, missed out your qst on peak design previously...

As for the peak design, I've only got their first version and I've only used it twice... and I got the optech neck strap after that. One main reason is because of the weight of the camera + lens (5d3 + 17-40/70-200). When it's too heavy, it's going to drag down your shoulder/sling bag or belt.. But it works quite nicely for a backpack, but troublesome to remove it. I use the optech strap without the neck strap part and attached it on my backpack, dun even need to remove it and can shoot already.. Just that it's dangling when I walk around.

Thanks for the responses. Sorry that I've forgotten to use the search button for the relevant post couple months back, which already had some good recommendations.

I've just received a reply from sgcamerastore on the Camdapter. The current stock of the non pro version is $85, and the pro version will be available in March.

If I understand the product correctly, the non pro is only the camera sling, where the pro includes the adapter, hand strap and camera sling. You need to know which adapter is suitable for your camera and tripod. If they can supply this, the cost will be similar to import from USA. You can also bring your camera to test it out.

Perhaps we can do one group buy to make them give a better price. :)

I'm also open to the peak design leash and cuff.

Need to look further if getting big lens for the suiability.

Thanks for the responses. Sorry that I've forgotten to use the search button for the relevant post couple months back, which already had some good recommendations.

I've just received a reply from sgcamerastore on the Camdapter. The current stock of the non pro version is $85, and the pro version will be available in March.

If I understand the product correctly, the non pro is only the camera sling, where the pro includes the adapter, hand strap and camera sling. You need to know which adapter is suitable for your camera and tripod. If they can supply this, the cost will be similar to import from USA. You can also bring your camera to test it out.

Perhaps we can do one group buy to make them give a better price. :)

I'm also open to the peak design leash and cuff.

Need to look further if getting big lens for the suiability.

Seems that I've made a mistake in my prev post on the costing.... amending it...

btw, the non-pro still comes with the plate, but just that it cannot mount on the tripod without using a tripod plate.