Camera stabilizer keep rotating... Need help

fxsg123

Nov 8, 2014
@singapore
I need help here, I'm about to pull my hair out

I brought a new camera stabilizer from taobao,飞力 for about s$150. Being a budget product and mainly for try-out, I didn't expect too much, and I think I'm relatively happy for a cheap first steadicam to pair with with my Sony a6000.

I go through a number of YouTube tutorial and article and as seen from YouTube, once adjust, no matter how fast or how much force one use, the camera (and it's Len) always point front.

For mine, the camera seem to slowly rotating in it own mind even when I'm not moving. And when I did move, it just spin in all directions and even turn to face me! Alot worse than I don't use any stabilizer, at least without stabilizer the Len is facing front :(

Is it normal for it to spin in all directions? I realize I can put my other hand on the guide to stop it and force the Len to face front, but I can't imagine you're supposed to stabilize the stabilizer with your hand to stop it?

Also, is all stabilizer behavior similarly and need to use the other hand to stop it or its because mine is a less product and don't work as advertise or because my camera A6000 is too light?

Maybe I'm missing something really obvious, either way, I was hoping someone could give me some advice, it would be much appreciated

First of all you should link the actual product as there are various designs.
1. Did you read user instructions and set up ?

2. It should be intuitive if you understand the priciple of operation.
That is it is based on centre of gravity and counterweights.

3. You can add/reduce or move/adjust counterweights if the product allows it.

4. Cheap does not mean it does not work or is inferior.Mostly it's user ignorance
or unfamilarity of product's function.

Edit: I think set up involves mounting camera and there are adjustments via red knobs and locks on camera mounting plate and handle.Adjust for upright camera position. Reduce counterweights if needed ,not all weights is needed as it depends on individual cameras.

TS why you delete reply...found your mistake? :)

Last edited:
Oh, no I didn't delete my response, I'm trying to edit the link that somehow it got remove.

Following is the link:
http://detail.m.tmall.com/item.htm?id=44206978083

i have something similar, your a6000 could be too light for this, u can try adding on more weight to topside

slight movements inevitable, it's correct that you need to gently control the "facing" using your fingers

I think ur setup issue. I have a steadicam too but dont have this issue.

One thing I conclude is this stabilizer s**k.

The most important point not communicated is it's not for beginner.

most stabilizers frm taobao are really poor quality. i got one for 50 bucks and it will rotate clockwise by itself like no tomorrow. so you've to hold it with th other hand to counter the rotation

One thing I conclude is this stabilizer s**k.

The most important point not communicated is it's not for beginner.

No, it works like a seesaw..a pivot point and weight balance.If it not balanced
it will go one way.:confused: