Camera simply will not fire!

Stephen27

Aug 19, 2012
Yishun
Dear Members,

I am in urgent need of your kind advices please!

My camera (Nikon D700)simply will not fire when I pressed the shutter-button fully down!

I tried to take some inside shots of my new apartment to plan the renovation works after CNY
but I wasn't able to even though I set the camera to Aperture mode and the Aperture at f/2.8 (Nikkor 24-70mm lens).

I tried taking the kitchen, the living room, the dining area, master bedroom and guest bedroom including the toilets but the camera simply won't fire. Is it because the walls and floor tiles are all white in colour?

Can some kind member please advice me on what settings I should set my camera at to solve this problem please?

I will surely need your kind advice urgently please.

Thank You.

Gong Xi Fa Cai, Xin Ngen Kwai Ler.

Cheers,

Stephen

Are there any error messages or blinking symbols in viewfinder?
Is there at least one focus point highlighted (usually red) when you half-press the shutter?
When cameras are set to Auto Focus mode and they cannot lock the focus then they won't release the shutter (to avoid out of focus images).

As what you are said, the camera has nothing to lock on the focusing, so your camera won't release the shutter.
Stick something on the areas you want to focus on, like a $100 dollar note, or even news paper. Once you able to lock the focusing, switch to manual focus, remove the $100 dollar and fire the shutter.

Thank You for the invaluable advices/comments. I really appreciate it.

At least I don't have to panic anymore thinking that something is very wrong with the camera.

Now I can relax and put something onto the spot I am focusing on and change to manual focus.

Responding to Senior Member Octarine's comments,yes, the camera was blinking but I couldn't figure out why.

Guess I will have to continue shooting more often to improve.

Thank you once again.

Cheers,

Stephen

Good luck Stephen.

MF has always been a very reliable fallback for me esp with modern cameras equipped with live view. (My eye sight is somewhat too poor to MF on a 5Dc..)

Responding to Senior Member Octarine's comments,yes, the camera was blinking but I couldn't figure out why.
Please check your manual and find out what exactly was blinking (which symbol in viewfinder or on display) and what it means.