Camera Shop in KL

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhotoTime

Jun 9, 2004
Hi,

I am going to KL next week. Is the price in KL for equipment cheaper than Singapore? Which shops do you recommend for buying 1st and 2nd hand equipment?

Need some answers myself, Upz for this thread!

dragos said:
no point....most of the stuff in the KL are same price as SG or even higher...

Not true - you can pick up good bargains if you know how to negotiate/bargain. E.g. I bought stuff from the official Canon shop in KLCC at 10 - 15% less than in S'pore but must bargain hard. Went to KL Plaza mid-last month and asked for the price of Canon 5D, quoted me RM12,800 (about S$5,350). Wish I was a serious buyer then, would have got iit down to about 12K (about $5K). Malaysia boleh!!!!

I have bought cameras from a shop i think called photo edgar in either BB plaza or sungei wang in KL a few years ago which were reasonablly priced. There was also a place near central market (around 5 min walk from chinatown) outside in a small shop which offered a good price on a nikon F75 a year ago.

Hope it helps, but like all places shop around till they wont lower the prices anymore and you should be ok.

Tony

oh if you find photo edgar, in the same shopping centre around the corner from there is an elderly couple a man and a woman running a camera shop which also gave me good prices last time. Sorry i cant remember the name of the shops as I normally just walk to the places.

syl said:
Not true - you can pick up good bargains if you know how to negotiate/bargain. E.g. I bought stuff from the official Canon shop in KLCC at 10 - 15% less than in S'pore but must bargain hard. Went to KL Plaza mid-last month and asked for the price of Canon 5D, quoted me RM12,800 (about S$5,350). Wish I was a serious buyer then, would have got iit down to about 12K (about $5K). Malaysia boleh!!!!

I disagree. Dragos is right. Camera gear is EXTREMELY limited in its variety in Malaysia. 2nd hand equipment is even harder to find and expensive as well. The difference in price is marginal and what you lose on is the warranty. AFAIK warranty for bodies is local so you will not get help in Singapore if something goes wrong.

At best, the difference is the 5% GST which we pay plus a bit more on account of the cheaper cost of doing business there. They don't turn over high enough volumes like in Hongkers to give a more significant discount. This, however, applies only to current camera hardware like bodies and more popular lenses, NOT more esoteric items, expensive lenses and accessories, which are nigh impossible to find. Bags? Forget it. The prices are astronomical and sourced from here anyway and you can forget about the higher end ones like Billingham & Domke. Don't believe me? Check it out. Ditto with the tripods. Medium and large format? What are those?

Get the price down by another RM800? Dream on. Please also be aware that for the price quoted, they may have switched over or not included some items in the package e.g. the original battery for a copy. Ask and be surprised. Caveat emptor.

Foto Edar and Shangri-la (the bigger retailers) are not even close to Cathay in terms of the variety of products. Most of the stuff is sourced from Singapore. That shop run by the old couple in BB Plaza? It's in the basement and IMHO not worth the bother.

Bottom line: enjoy the food but get your camera stuff here and on the B&S forum.

Poppie said:
I disagree. Dragos is right. Camera gear is EXTREMELY limited in its variety in Malaysia. 2nd hand equipment is even harder to find and expensive as well. The difference in price is marginal and what you lose on is the warranty. AFAIK warranty for bodies is local so you will not get help in Singapore if something goes wrong.
Yes and no. It depends on what you are looking for. I know that Manfrotto tripods and lenses are cheaper in KL if you know where to shop. Lens warranty is international so its not an issue. On camera bodies, you are right in the warranty being local to Malaysia.

Here are list of reputable shop in KL but there's limitation on item you might wanna look for
1. Engtong in SS2, Petaling Jaya - Malaysia Sole Distributor for Manfrotto Tripod and other studio lightning system. http://www.engtong.com
2. Foto Flash in Berjaya Time Square - Try to bargain for popular item
3. Selangor Photographer (Foto Selangor) in Pertama Complex - An old and reputable shop for digital camera and lenses - To reach there, you need to take STAR LRT and stop at Sultan Ismail Station, the Pertama Complex is just beside SOGO Shopping Complex
4. Digicolor @ Mutiara Shopping Complex, Jalan Ipoh http://www.digicolor.com.my - A lot of studio lightning there! Quite cheap, 3 set of 300W lightning, 2 softbox, 1 barndoor and 1 reflector cost about RM1900 (828 SGD).
5. Ampang Park Shopping Centre - A lot of photography shop (Check out Leo's Ampang Park - for variety of professional film and accesories) - Take PUTRA LRT and stop at Ampang Station....

Hope this help..

Status
Not open for further replies.