Camera shake vs off focus

Status
Not open for further replies.

chem

May 1, 2005
Sembawang
how do i tell if the blur photo is due to camera shake/handshake or the photo is off focus. both cases look the same to me :confused:

phew exhaustive weekend! nice..
hmm, to me, camera shake would have a trail of the subject. Off focus are just simply blur subjects.

chem said:
how do i tell if the blur photo is due to camera shake/handshake or the photo is off focus. both cases look the same to me :confused:

As what dennic said, but let me put it slightly differently.

With out of focus image, the image is just not clear. Example a closed up picture of a person's face will not show the eye lashes clearly.

With handshake, you see the eye lashes, but instead of x number of eye lashes, there may be x times 2 number of eyelashes.

Having said that, if the hand shake is very mild, it may simulate out of focus. A gross example of handshake is double images.

For off focus pictures, at least some parts of the picture will be sharp. The focus is usually on the background so it will be sharp while the subject/foreground is blur.

For camera shake, the whole picture is blur and it is quite difficult to find anything that is sharp.

So can i say #1 is off focus and #2 is camera shake?Actually how do i take good macros? if im not wrong, if im too near the subject, i will get blur photos? am i correct?

P1000119.jpg

P1000118.jpg

then u should use a macro len!

Hi chem,

Both pictures are actually off focus, because you can see the focusing is behind the flowers on the leaves/flowers at the background. :)

As for macro, there is a minimum distance beyond which your camera will not be able to focus. This distance is determined by the type of lens you use, and can be shorten by adding macro filter/lens.

ziploc said:
Hi chem,

Both pictures are actually off focus, because you can see the focusing is behind the flowers on the leaves/flowers at the background. :)

As for macro, there is a minimum distance beyond which your camera will not be able to focus. This distance is determined by the type of lens you use, and can be shorten by adding macro filter/lens.

Agree with Ziploc.

Both are out of focus.

#1 see how sharp the pink petal on the top portion of the image is?

Likewise #2 the bright spot at the right lower corner. If hand shake you might see a double image.

CY_OH said:
For off focus pictures, at least some parts of the picture will be sharp. The focus is usually on the background so it will be sharp while the subject/foreground is blur.

For camera shake, the whole picture is blur and it is quite difficult to find anything that is sharp.
:thumbsup:

i think you take the picture too near to the flower already. that is why so blur

if i didnt remember wrongly, the flower was maybe ard 10cm or so and i also used the macro function. im using fz-5. how near is near? normally when i take photos, i agar-agar, but dont think this is the correct way :bsmilie: im trying to learn the proper way =)

Hi chem,

Need to check your camera's manual to see what is the minimum macro distance... But since you're using a digital camera, you can always zoom in and have a look after taking the picture. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.