Camera shake shooting telephoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

red_ryder

Jun 23, 2003
Visit site
I read about the rule-of-thumb for reducing camera shake - for 200mm lens shoot at 1/250s or faster right? But do we need to multiply by the 1.5 factor because of the smaller sensor in the DSLR? Meaning if I use a 200mm lens, I need to shoot at 1/300s or faster?

That will depends on how good you can hold your camera.

Holding and breathing technics when shooting is important. However if you gets hand shake, then at least shoot with shutter speed of 1/(focal length) should be good enough. :)

red_ryder said:
I read about the rule-of-thumb for reducing camera shake - for 200mm lens shoot at 1/250s or faster right? But do we need to multiply by the 1.5 factor because of the smaller sensor in the DSLR? Meaning if I use a 200mm lens, I need to shoot at 1/300s or faster?

The crop factor is just that... a crop factor. So you just need to stick to 1:1

200mm - 1/200

But for some users, they reccomend that you double that for a camera with higher MP as the tendency to get handshake showing up in the photos may be higher, i.e. 1/400 for 200mm

Another alternative is to make the camera heavier, so give you more weight for stability.Not sure if it works for you, but it does for some.

Additionally, you can use other means of support(tripod, pillar, bag, etc)if you really do not have enough light and have no confidence in holding at that speed at that focal length.

dragos said:
train yourself more....:)

after a few years, we all can be snipers liao..

I was a sniper, the best shot in my platoon is a scrawny fellow with twigs-like arms. Secret of his success? He's got the firmest sandbag for support. Moral of the lesson: Get a good support.....:bsmilie:

I was a sniper, the best shot in my platoon is a scrawny fellow with twigs-like arms. Secret of his success? He's got the firmest sandbag for support. Moral of the lesson: Get a good support.....:bsmilie:

sandbag? I didn't use sandbag for my last in camp, and my scrore was over 95% :)

don't underestimate your rifle firing training... half breath before you shoot...

The guideline is 1/actual focal length even though some people have mistaken it as 1/focal length on 35mm equivalent.

Crop factor is just a crop and has no barring on the risk of having handshake blur being recorded on the image sensor although a smaller sensor means any handshake blur recorded on the image sensor will be magnified more for small sensor when the image is blown up bigger to achieve a certain viewing size.

For e.g. When my prosumer cam is fully zoomed in and the actual focal length is 72mm and the 35mm format equivalent is 280mm, I can shoot easily handheld at 1/125 but a borderline case at 1/60. The guideline is 1/72 instead of 1/280. Likewise for any other camera sensor size.

Read my earlier post here for detailed explanation :
Post : http://forums.clubsnap.org/showpost.php?p=2559063&postcount=13

in this thread : http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?p=2559063#post2559063

Technically speaking you should factor it in, however practically speaking, just use whatever works for you. I'm sure there are people out there who can do full seconds exposures on a 200mm lens handheld without shake.

If I apply the 1:1 factor, does it means that if I use a prime lens of 18mm I can use shutter speed of around 20 will do?

If I apply the 1:1 factor, does it means that if I use a prime lens of 18mm I can use shutter speed of around 20 will do?

welcome and yes i guess

you can try:)

don't underestimate your rifle firing training... half breath before you shoot...

Agree, can also borrow the strap technique from army days, ie. put tension on the strap to further prevent shaking.

Yup. :)

well ...technically speaking....ITS A GUIDELINE ANYWAY.... :D

if u feel safer factoring in the crop factor...then pls do ..... it really depends on how stable your hands are actually ..so it doesnt work for everyone (since its a guideline)....

if you are really bothered by it...get a monopod.... or start doing pushups ahahha..

cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.