Camera setting.

Alwinwps

May 9, 2011
Woodlands
Hey there.
Can anyone give a suggestion to the appropriate camera setting for a field trip on a Eos 550D?

Auto =.=

1 setting fits all...

If you are willing to spend $ on books (or find alternative sources to e-books), consider these 2 books

Canon EOS Rebel T2i 550D From Snapshots to Great Shots 2010
Canon EOS Rebel T2i550D Digital Field Guide

Once saw it on the shelves in {prologue}, these will go into details and functions of the Camera which the manual did not bother to explain in details.

I think in the circumstances, SkyStrike is right!

TS, If you have to ask, Auto is probably what will serve you best until you gain a little more knowledge.

BTW an important part of gaining knowledge is learning the right questions to ask. And your initial question is about as vague as can be.

Auto =.=

1 setting fits all...

most entry level cameras are design with the fully auto mode for users deal with all sorts of situation.

the fully auto mode is the best bid if you have no prior experience or unsure what will you encounter.

we can't recommend any other settings as it usually only deal with specific situations.

hope this help.

If you don't want to use auto......you can also look into "Sunny 16" for a good start.

Little green box! Best setting. Even the pros recommend it when they have no time to slowly adjust. And I'm not kidding. :)

yes, you can use the sunny f16 rule, if you don't want to rely on auto mode.

all you need to do is memorize the chart, Photography Basic Daylight Exposure.

now only leave one problem, you need to judge the scene correctly.

I remember vividly one photographer commented f16 rule is not accurate, later found out that he can't differential between a sunny day and a cloudy day.

TS, judging by this post and your other thread...

I think you should spend more time reading your manual and basic photography magazines.

Can anyone give a suggestion to the appropriate camera setting for a field trip on a Eos 550D?
Please read your manual. It's the little booklet that came with the camera in the box. Alternatively, you could download the pdf copy from Canon US website.
Your cameras has the "Green Box Mode" (Full Auto) where the camera will do all the work for you. In addition, you have the Scene Modes available (marked with these little icons on the knob). I don't think it poses a big problem to judge your situation and select the right one. A 'field trip' sounds as if the Landscape Mode could work well for most situations.
Read up about composition. Little efforts here can make a big difference for the pictures.