camera setting or unusual?

ayaka13

Jun 28, 2010
Hi a newbie here..

recently bought a nikon d90 and taking my time to go through the basics. while so doing, i noticed that in the bracketing option, whenever i switch to the three modes (3D, dynamic and single), there is a thin, unwanted vertical line in the center, starting from the middle down to the edge. (and its not the gridlines, mind you ) but when i switch to auto, this unwanted line diminishes.

i went to the shop where i bought it to have it checked, the salesman (which appears to me is knowledgeable when it comes to this stuff) told me that the camera is not spoiled and that the line is like a "point of reference" ...

anyone who have encountered the same? i wanted to bring it to Nikon to have it checked but then, for God's sake, my cam haven't been a month old!

Haven seen that in my D90 as yet..

Maybe u can post a img with the problem u faced so we can examine and help u further.

i went to the shop where i bought it to have it checked, the salesman (which appears to me is knowledgeable when it comes to this stuff) told me that the camera is not spoiled and that the line is like a "point of reference" ...
You got one answer, the second answer could be in your manual. Have you found this booklet? Should be in your camera box, sometimes only as pdf version on CD.
Secondly, from your description it sounds as if the line appears in viewfinder (never heard of grid lines appearing in final picture). Another hint that this is a function of the camera that might be described in the manual, or even online. Tried Google?

Last edited:
Hi a newbie here..

recently bought a nikon d90 and taking my time to go through the basics. while so doing, i noticed that in the bracketing option, whenever i switch to the three modes (3D, dynamic and single), there is a thin, unwanted vertical line in the center, starting from the middle down to the edge. (and its not the gridlines, mind you ) but when i switch to auto, this unwanted line diminishes.

anyone who have encountered the same? i wanted to bring it to Nikon to have it checked but then, for God's sake, my cam haven't been a month old!

If you are talking about a thin line that connects the edge of the frame to the AF point when viewing in the view finder. It is normal. It is a LED connection line that connects to the selected AF point to light it up. When the AF point light up, it will light up as well.

It is normal. It is hardly noticeable. But once you noticed it, you will see it all the time.

See more here: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=603300

Last edited:
Welcome to CS :)
Does the line appear in the final photo in all modes?
If it dosen't, leave it alone unless it bothers you that much, bring it back to NSC & ask them about it ;)

Hi guys..thank you for your replies.

Yep, the line appears only in the viewfinder and it doesnt exist in the final photo.. i believe, daredevil123 had helped me describe the situation clearer.. (a thin line that connects the edge of the frame to the AF point when viewing in the view finder. When the AF point light up, it will light up as well)..

and the line is really noticeable, appearing like a "crack"... and yes, it bothers me :angel:

Hi a newbie here..

bracketing function has 3D, dynamic and single?
Do you mean auto-focus modes?

Daredevil123 probably explained it best. Probably in some batches of production, the line is more visible that others. But since it's not a defect, I doubt Nikon Singapore can help you.

Hi guys..thank you for your replies.

Yep, the line appears only in the viewfinder and it doesnt exist in the final photo.. i believe, daredevil123 had helped me describe the situation clearer.. (a thin line that connects the edge of the frame to the AF point when viewing in the view finder. When the AF point light up, it will light up as well)..

and the line is really noticeable, appearing like a "crack"... and yes, it bothers me :angel:

That line powers the LED lights for the AF point indicator.

Well, if you want to get rid of that line, you will have to sell your camera and get another brand of camera. That line is in almost all Nikon cameras. D90, D80, D200, D300(s).

Sorry can't help you further. :dunno:

Or you can get the Pentax K-x. No need for that line to light up AF points since there are NO af points

bracketing function has 3D, dynamic and single?
Do you mean auto-focus modes?

Daredevil123 probably explained it best. Probably in some batches of production, the line is more visible that others. But since it's not a defect, I doubt Nikon Singapore can help you.

THey all look the same bro. Nothing to do with batch. It is even in your D80 if you look closely. The variation is in the eyes of the viewers. TS has very sharp eyes, thats all.

Do some "soul searching" about the reason. Wouldn't it be better to be bothered about the resulting images? I can easily live with lints and dust in viewfinder, maybe even more obvious than your hairline.

Last edited:
THey all look the same bro. Nothing to do with batch. It is even in your D80 if you look closely. The variation is in the eyes of the viewers. TS has very sharp eyes, thats all.
i can't see a damn thing! :bsmilie: