Camera-seller's favourite tricks

Status
Not open for further replies.

artspraken

Aug 7, 2009
For the benefit of consumers, let's list all the camera-seller's favourite tricks:-

1. 1. Quote a cheap price, then later say GST not included.

2. 2. Throw in a lot of "freebies", and then mark up the price.

3. 3. If customer is walk-in, see how he dress and talk whether rich anot.

4. 4. If customer is telephone cold-call, listen how he talk whether rich anot.

5. 5. If customer is telephone cold-call, make sure use trick no. 1 above, and reveal GST only when customer arrive.

6. 6. Say special offer is for limited pieces (whilst stock last), later when customer arrive, say stock finish.

7. 7. Pay an ah pek to sit on stool outside camera shop and stare at other camera shop to look see what customer exit. If customer cannot find something, make sure to ask.
  8. 8. When customer request to try / play with a display set, tell customer to go to the supplier's office to try. Say got no display set.

And dats why i don't even bother THOSE shops but stick to those recommended in CS.

yup, sounds about right

For the benefit of consumers, let's list all the camera-seller's favourite tricks:-

5. 5. If customer is telephone cold-call, make sure use trick no. 1 above, and reveal GST only when customer arrive.

6. 6. Say special offer is for limited pieces (whilst stock last), later when customer arrive, say stock finish.

7. 7. Pay an ah pek to sit on stool outside camera shop and stare at other camera shop to look see what customer exit. If customer cannot find something, make sure to ask.
  8. 8. When customer request to try / play with a display set, tell customer to go to the supplier's office to try. Say got no display set.

Looks like you have visited Sim Lim Square so often :)

Thank you for sharing with us :)

And dats why i don't even bother THOSE shops but stick to those recommended in CS.
I have experienced this in AP before...And that's supposedly recommended on CS. Caveat Emptor

1. 3. If customer is walk-in, see how he dress and talk whether rich anot.

2. 4. If customer is telephone cold-call, listen how he talk whether rich anot.

i don't think these are good indicators to judge how big the person's piggybank is.

Must always remember to:
-check if the price is with GST or without
-check if they give discount if pay by cash (NETS is not cash)
-tell them to exclude all extras - you only want the camera (and all in the package provided by factory, including extra batteries) and not the lousy camera cleaning kit, etc
-tell them you dont want 3rd party battery extra - unless well if you want go ahead
-tell them if box not sealed (ie it is not opened in front of you) you will not buy
-tell them please put stamp on all warranty card and please dont put in the box - you want to see the warranty card first
-tell them please make sure all are itemised properly on the receipt

Remember not to:
-buy bag with them - they give you lousy bag and charge you high price.
-ask for free UV filter - unless they give you at least hoya brand.

If price is quoted but no stock:
- Dont need to say anything if you are not nice. just walk out
- If you want to be nice say "thank you uncle" and walk out. Dont be tempted to buy another brand or another model. They purposely do this cos people normally research on what they want and never the "alternative" and without the info you are at their mercy

What about the classic "bait-and-switch"?

"The camera you want (which is the one that you researched so much about) got no stock. I recommend you better one, best price." And they shark you from there.

still got many..

a) sell you camera at cheaper price, then when you go home no battery, no eyecup, no cd for software and drivers.. go back, they will sell you these items for $200 a piece..

b) sell you camera at cheap price, then sell you super pro vitacon and emoblitz filters, $150 per piece. :bsmilie:

still got many..

a) sell you camera at cheaper price, then when you go home no battery, no eyecup, no cd for software and drivers.. go back, they will sell you these items for $200 a piece..

b) sell you camera at cheap price, then sell you super pro vitacon and emoblitz filters, $150 per piece. :bsmilie:

really got such thing ah?? isn't (a) a bit the erm..obvious they are trying to cut u?

really got such thing ah?? isn't (a) a bit the erm..obvious they are trying to cut u?

people see the camera going for $50 cheaper from what they see in clubsnap, they so happy, they never check to see if battery inside the package. :bsmilie:

and yes, it is true, someone complained about this before. was a chinatown shop being mentioned, i think.

[*]8. When customer request to try / play with a display set, tell customer to go to the supplier's office to try. Say got no display set.
[/LIST]

my friend shied out of buying 7d coz the shop wont let him test the camera claiming there's no display set. comfirm buy oni can test....i told them, what kind of logic is this. they shrugged shoulder bochap.

my friend shied out of buying 7d coz the shop wont let him test the camera claiming there's no display set. comfirm buy oni can test....i told them, what kind of logic is this. they shrugged shoulder bochap.

Some people will buy from shops like these cos they know the cameras are all new in box and not tested by other people. Some shops know this, so they enforce this policy. Wouldn't you? In Singapore, there are plenty of other places to test cameras.

Points stated here are unfortunately true. Nowadays, good service and sales are based first impression. Dressed in singlet and shorts, salesman bohcap you even you are buying. Dressed in full smart attire, salesman will service you even though you are not buying anything.

Sad but true. :(

Now switching to on-line purchase. No need and don't want to face such discremination.

This is a very good post! :thumbsup:

Btw, these are tactics that shops in SLS and other non-reputable shop use to cheat customers.
Frankly, I wish one day, CASEtrust will send an expat to "test" them out.

This kind of this sure work whenever they see non-local going past their shop.
They will say, "want to take a look? Cameras on offer! We can give up special discount/price." ;)

With "special service" also comes "special price"...chop chop chop!!

people see the camera going for $50 cheaper from what they see in clubsnap, they so happy, they never check to see if battery inside the package. :bsmilie:

and yes, it is true, someone complained about this before. was a chinatown shop being mentioned, i think.

oh no! den it's tbe buyer to blame..to kan chiong already...tsktsk..:nono:

My counter measure:

1. Quote a cheap price, then later say GST not included.
>> Always ask if GST included after the salesman quote a price, get his name too in case he denied later

2. Throw in a lot of "freebies", and then mark up the price.
>> Ask them to take out all freebies, and give discount accordingly, after the salesman commit the lowest price, then ask for freebies just before you decide

3. If customer is walk-in, see how he dress and talk whether rich anot.
>> Do you homework and check the price with other shops and online, then counter them that other shops selling cheaper

4. If customer is telephone cold-call, listen how he talk whether rich anot.
>> same as #3

5. If customer is telephone cold-call, make sure use trick no. 1 above, and reveal GST only when customer arrive.
>> same as #1

6. Say special offer is for limited pieces (whilst stock last), later when customer arrive, say stock finish.
>> Walk out and go other shop

7. Pay an ah pek to sit on stool outside camera shop and stare at other camera shop to look see what customer exit. If customer cannot find something, make sure to ask.
>> I ignore those who sit outside

8. When customer request to try / play with a display set, tell customer to go to the supplier's office to try. Say got no display set.
>> Fair enough, I won't try the set unless I really want to buy it

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.