Camera Replacement Battery... Or Equivalent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seleucus

Jul 27, 2009
Hello everyone! I am new to this forum, having just registered moments ago :)

I am seeking a replacement battery, Nikon EN EL10, for my Nikon S700. A salesperson recommended Olympus LI 42B (S$29), saying that it is equivalent to the Nikon EN EL10. May I know if this is true?

The salesperson also added that:
1. the capacitance specified by most OEM replacement batteries is bogus and false;

2. OEM replacement batteries have a shorter life compared to originals.

Your experience and opinion(s) on the above comments are most welcome :)

Hello everyone! I am new to this forum, having just registered moments ago :)

I am seeking a replacement battery, Nikon EN EL10, for my Nikon S700. A salesperson recommended Olympus LI 42B (S$29), saying that it is equivalent to the Nikon EN EL10. May I know if this is true?

The salesperson also added that:
1. the capacitance specified by most OEM replacement batteries is bogus and false;

2. OEM replacement batteries have a shorter life compared to originals.

Your experience and opinion(s) on the above comments are most welcome :)

If it fits, why not. Li-Ion batteries are usually made by third parties which supplies the major brands, same as mobile phones batteries also. Buying one which has a reputation to upkeep is important because the rated capacity will be real. Those brandless 3rd party replacement batteries can quote anything because they can close down the nest day and nobody will care.

I always buy original. Somehow the OEM batteries never last as long.

I always buy original. Somehow the OEM batteries never last as long.

From what I gather, the Olympus is original.. except it's meant for a different brand and TS mentioned that the salesperson claimed that it could fit in a Nikon. Don't have experience with this but if it fits, I think it's sure better than a brandless OEM. ;p

Looks like they would fit each other because this OEM claims to be replacement for both EN-EL10 and LI-42B.
http://www.amazon.com/Delkin-DD-LI-42B-EN-EL10-Replacement/dp/B000P0M3UK

Last edited:
Thank you, lsisaxon & Diavonex :) for your kind replies.

Hopefully, some forumers who have tried the LI 42B on their Nikon S700 may respond with their experiences soon.

The same salesman was offering SGD 29 for the LI 42B, do you think this is a reasonable price?

What's a great shop in SG to buy spares & replacements? ;)

The same salesman was offering SGD 29 for the LI 42B, do you think this is a reasonable price?

What's a great shop in SG to buy spares & replacements? ;)

Hah.. I have no idea. How much does the original Nikon one cost? I know Nikon prices for accessories are usually on the high side. Comparing with other batteries I've used, $29 sounds reasonable and comparable to a 3rd party cell, so I guess there is no point buying a 3rd party when you could get an original Olympus battery to use in your Nikon. (Yeah, it's still 3rd party but at least a reputable one.. ;p)

Get an original at least for the 1st spare and the rest can be after market... My experience is, for the first few months (some weeks), the after market will deteriorate bit by bit and drain faster. Not the case for original.

Status
Not open for further replies.